Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 20, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #1,591 of 64,089
So the GR are a no-go now, not only for classical music. Er, so, which is then the best upgrade regarding Monoprices with natural sound (flattest eq possible)? DT3 or EDSE or...?
And if Id prefer to save my money till I can afford a TTPOD, would that be better then the ''best'' KZ for classical and how's the difference in value now most of the KZ seem to have 30% off or so? Are TTPODs $20 more worth it or is the difference too small (since the KZs also went for $25 first)?

Thanks again, I know Im a pain in the #ss for you lol.

I hate to say it, and this may sound like blasphemy, but I'm getting as much pleasure listening to music with the DT3 as the TTPOD T1-E! Sure the sound signature is very different. medium-fi indie rock. The treble/highs on the TTPOD T1-E are more accurate, but I like the mids and bass on the DT3. This is with the white silicon tips of the TTPOD T1-E, will try the hybrid tips included in the package tonight. 

I may grow to appreciate the TTPOD T1-E more with the right tips, but the DT3 are an amazing value for the price. And I like the lightweight plastic and thin cord is not a big negative. I'll likely pick up a spare DT3 just to have around.

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #1,593 of 64,089
Update to prior post. The TTPOD T1-E are angled slightly so aren't straight out like the DT3.. They might actually work ok for the use you describe, but I think you can do better - a recessed IEM for sleeping.
There's a thread on IEM's for sleeping. Philips SHE3580 was one of the best. I have the SHE3580 but imo the sound is simply awful. Tinny and no base. This is contrary to the consensus opinion here and on Amazon.
The she3580 should have loads of bass, sounds like a tip issue. Tinny sound and no bass is a big indicator for a seal issue resulting from using the wrong tip for your ear type.

My iem for sleeping, laying down is the Sony mdr-ex58v. It sits flush, has a cable cinch, and even has a volume control on the cable.

Another good one for sleeping is the soundmagic e30.

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #1,594 of 64,089
The she3580 should have loads of bass, sounds like a tip issue. Tinny sound and no bass is a big indicator for a seal issue resulting from using the wrong tip for your ear type.

My iem for sleeping, laying down is the Sony mdr-ex58v. It sits flush, has a cable cinch, and even has a volume control on the cable.

Another good one for sleeping is the soundmagic e30.

As a test I jam them in my ears 
eek.gif
 - that usually produces lots of bass. But only for testing purposes and not a solution. I can't see the point of messing with different tips with $10 earphones - but heck, I have an expanding collection of extra tips so will give it a try.

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #1,595 of 64,089
As a test I jam them in my ears :eek:  - that usually produces lots of bass. But only for testing purposes and not a solution. I can't see the point of messing with different tips with $10 earphones - but heck, I have an expanding collection of extra tips so will give it a try.
Welcome to the world of tip rolling my friend. It is often times a more rewarding experience than buying something new.

Nov 20, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #1,596 of 64,089
I just ordered the KZ GR, but did not read about the problem with the ports.. oh well. Hope it's not that big of a problem with the black ports ( they were for bass, right?)
I Currently have the EDSE and ES, I preffer the EDSE due to my love for EDM, but the problem is the fit.. I think I have narrow ear canals and they are not really comfortable.
I also have the Pistons 2.0, which with the smallests size tips fit very good. 
Can you guys recomend me some good eartips on the cheap side?

Nov 20, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #1,597 of 64,089
Update to prior post. The TTPOD T1-E are angled slightly so aren't straight out like the DT3.. They might actually work ok for the use you describe, but I think you can do better - a recessed IEM for sleeping.
There's a thread on IEM's for sleeping. Philips SHE3580 was one of the best. I have the SHE3580 but imo the sound is simply awful. Tinny and no base. This is contrary to the consensus opinion here and on Amazon.

Thanks! I kind of gave up on laying down on my side with the iem in but I think at this point it's between the DT3 and the Hifiman re-300h. Both are plenty under what I have to spend but I don't want to go super saiyan when I lose them or they get stolen.

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #1,599 of 64,089
I have been following this thread avidly for some time. I have recently become enthusiastic about exploring higher quality audio. As a beginner dipping my toe in the water, the KZ line is a fun way to try some options out. I am really enjoying the ES.....nicely balanced. I haven't done extensive comparisons but they do well against my pistons (of course much lighter base).

I ordered a pair of GR too and like many here, got the ports with no vent holes, and certainly found the sound quality lacking. I too emailed the vendor and was told this was not an error, but that this is the new design.

Here's my crazy thought......is it possible to drill your own holes? I am no engineer, and I am sure the size and placement are crucial. But faced with the underwhelming sound is it worth a try or will I just ruin them completely? Anyone else thought of trying it?

In the meantime, I am really enjoying.the KZ ES and looking forward to the arrival of my EDSE. I may try the DT3 too for fun (besides I can always give some of them to my teenagers for Christmas).

Cheers.

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #1,600 of 64,089
Maybe it would be helpful if everyone who got the "holeless" GRs post the link of the store where they got them. There are about 20-30 listings of GR in Aliexpress and we don't know whether only certain stores sell these "holeless" GR or all of them. 

Nov 21, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #1,601 of 64,089
I have been following this thread avidly for some time. I have recently become enthusiastic about exploring higher quality audio. As a beginner dipping my toe in the water, the KZ line is a fun way to try some options out. I am really enjoying the ES.....nicely balanced. I haven't done extensive comparisons but they do well against my pistons (of course much lighter base).

I ordered a pair of GR too and like many here, got the ports with no vent holes, and certainly found the sound quality lacking. I too emailed the vendor and was told this was not an error, but that this is the new design.

Here's my crazy thought......is it possible to drill your own holes? I am no engineer, and I am sure the size and placement are crucial. But faced with the underwhelming sound is it worth a try or will I just ruin them completely? Anyone else thought of trying it?

In the meantime, I am really enjoying.the KZ ES and looking forward to the arrival of my EDSE. I may try the DT3 too for fun (besides I can always give some of them to my teenagers for Christmas).

Cheers.

After my listening experience with the KZ-EDSE, I think they're epic in the sense of depth, soundstage, and imaging. I hear instruments that I couldn't quite catch on my KZ-ES, or any of my other single dynamics, for that matter. I'm definitely buying a second pair for spare.
happy_face1.gif

Nov 21, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #1,602 of 64,089

After my listening experience with the KZ-EDSE, I think they're epic in the sense of depth, soundstage, and imaging. I hear instruments that I couldn't quite catch on my KZ-ES, or any of my other single dynamics, for that matter. I'm definitely buying a second pair for spare.
happy_face1.gif

I have bought 2 pair of KZ-EDSE to gift some friends so they can realize what kind of crap they are currently using. DT3 on order too.

Nov 21, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #1,603 of 64,089
  Maybe it would be helpful if everyone who got the "holeless" GRs post the link of the store where they got them. There are about 20-30 listings of GR in Aliexpress and we don't know whether only certain stores sell these "holeless" GR or all of them. 

I bought my "holeless" GRs from here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1380688

Users who are viewing this thread

Back