Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 27, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #15,751 of 64,287

Feel the same about this one
biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif

What music player is that?

Jan 27, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #15,752 of 64,287
  What music player is that?

Shanling M1 https://www.eglobalcentral.com/shanling-m1-dsd-hifi-portable-lossless-music-player-black.html?gclid=CPqy2Lel49ECFUm4wAodl8kGxw#

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #15,754 of 64,287
So I just got the ED7s today, and I am floored!!! I think I finally found my Goldilocks pair. 

They're everything I liked from the ED9s without the murderous treble and boomy bass. They just image so well. I sometimes forget I am wearing earbuds. They're that good. 

They're just perfect for me: warm & smooth. You can wear them all day long without feeling tired. 

Compared to more expensive earbuds (Marshall Mode), they don't quite have the bass impact. And vocals can sound a bit "sssssss". But for a measly $7, I am willing to accept the trade-off. How can they be so cheap??? 

That said, the "balanced" sound signature of the ED7s may come off as dull to many people, especially people in this thread who don't seem to mind the Ed9s. I also recall someone disliking the ED7s several hundred pages ago haha. 

Now I regret buying the Marshall Mode, I should have waited LOL. 

$7....for this!?

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #15,756 of 64,287
Hello friends,I've been struggling and asking which KZ iems shoud I buy for a first timer área the ZST the best option?

Well, you've got lots of options with KZ 
biggrin.gif
 If sensitive to treble, the ZST might not be the best option and I'd say go with the ZS3. Otherwise, give the ZST a go. It's a very good budget option. 

Jan 27, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #15,757 of 64,287

biggrin.gif
 If sensitive to treble, the ZST might not be the best option and I'd say go with the ZS3. Otherwise, give the ZST a go. It's a very good budget option. 

Even if you're treble sensitive, use them for a few days on a lower volume than you'd normally listen to and your brain will auto-EQ for you. ZST Colorful is a solid choice though. I would recommend the ATE as well. ATE is more neutral and warm, but doesn't have the soundstage and pure clarity of the ZST colorfuls.

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #15,758 of 64,287
Doesn't sound like the ZSTs I've heard by any stretch. The ZST are pretty sweet sounding. 

You can still get them on Ali are they any good?
With the stock filter not so. With the ED9 gold filter, they sound kinda good to me. Still mid-bass emphasis with rolled-off treble but with the bass more in control with tighter punch and treble that has better smoother extension whilst being recessed. Midrange particularly vocal is very prominent which is slightly forward with much more weight and i particularly enjoyed female vocals which sounds fuller with more body. Given a lot of negatives i've read about them, my expectation was obviously lowered so hearing them now actually makes them not bad at all. They're cheap so i think it's worth a try.

Jan 28, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #15,759 of 64,287
I received my colorful ZSTs today and just started listening to them. The build quality is a little bit iffy; while changing the ear tips, the protective mesh started to come off. They also sound a little bit underwhelming, when compared to my very old Xears XE200 Pro Walnut Edition i.e.m.s. I might have received a defective piece, but I guess the main reason for this is that I am not getting a good seal even with the largest provided ear tips.

Can someone suggest good replacement ear tips for the ZST?

Jan 28, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #15,760 of 64,287
In humble opinion,

(keep in mind that I avoid over-ear style earphones)

The ED7 is smooth & mellow <= awesome for indie/rock/folk genres (may sound boring to some people)

The ED9 is in your face and "fun" <= great for Pop/EDM/ambient (although the bass could be too much)

Me personally, I think that the ED9 has some pretty nasty treble and sounds kinda "thin" as well. 

I dunno, my brain says that most people will like the ED9 over the ED7. But my ears are absolutely terrified of the ED9's harshness. 

Jan 28, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #15,761 of 64,287
I received my ZST(c) yesterday evening. 

OOTB, they sound very good for budget-gear hoarders and average music listeners. But there are some things... will let them burn-in and comment sometime later.

I received my colorful ZSTs today and just started listening to them. The build quality is a little bit iffy; while changing the ear tips, the protective mesh started to come off. 

Try Auvio tips. Haven`t tried all my tip collection but atm stayed with those.

Will comment on following posts later:

Quote:
do you mean the black ones specifically? I've heard ppl talk about them having really sibilant highs and that being a QC issue which was also solved with the colorfuls but I'm not sure how true that is. Although I don't believe I have seen ppl complaining about sibilant highs with the colorfuls

I don't know for sure, my grey pair sure sounds quite dreadful (relatively speaking) and the only highs it has is a sibilance peak at 10khz. They don't feel bright, only sibilant.

The latest versions are tuned more conservatively and are relatively balanced.

If you are treble sensitive then you may find them excessively bright, you'll find most hybrids are similar. If you want less high end look at the Kineras or Tennmak.

Quote:

Makes me wonder what kind of ZST I have as they don't have overpowering bass or even much bass and neither are they bright sounding. Quite muddy mids and plus a sibilance peak is what I hear most in them. Being just past 50 I cannot hear anything above around 14khz but I hear the rest of the spectrum fine. Vivo XE800, Quadbeat 3, especially AKG version and Monoprice feel very bright to me, the ZST doesn't, it just has sibilance/prominent 10khz frequencies.

Quote:

biggrin.gif

Even if you're treble sensitive, use them for a few days on a lower volume than you'd normally listen to and your brain will auto-EQ for you. ZST Colorful is a solid choice though. I would recommend the ATE as well. ATE is more neutral and warm, but doesn't have the soundstage and pure clarity of the ZST colorfuls.

Jan 28, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #15,762 of 64,287
Too many pages to check the difference between ZS3 and ZST. I'm more into smoothness, detailed sound, instrument separation/imaging, great soundstage and controlled tight bass. I like it to sound like I'm in a big theater. Which will be the better choice? Can someone give the difference about how they sound?

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #15,763 of 64,287
  Too many pages to check the difference between ZS3 and ZST. I'm more into smoothness, detailed sound, instrument separation/imaging, great soundstage and controlled tight bass. I like it to sound like I'm in a big theater. Which will be the better choice? Can someone give the difference about how they sound?

ATE 5th gen or ZS3.

But if You jump outside of KZ... based on what You described - maybe Magaosi BK50 or even UrbanFun ?

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #15,764 of 64,287

It seems that there are so many different opinions about the ZS3 and the ZST. It seems like one of those instances where it's better to buy both and figure it out yourself. Maybe you'll be happy with both of them?

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #15,765 of 64,287
I received my colorful ZSTs today and just started listening to them. The build quality is a little bit iffy; while changing the ear tips, the protective mesh started to come off. They also sound a little bit underwhelming, when compared to my very old Xears XE200 Pro Walnut Edition i.e.m.s. I might have received a defective piece, but I guess the main reason for this is that I am not getting a good seal even with the largest provided ear tips.

I always recommend jvc spiral dots. Always. :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back