knife-fi?
Sep 17, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #347 of 2,248
Got lucky yesterday and snagged an XL.

Sep 28, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #348 of 2,248
Does anyone here own, or has handled the Victorinox Rescue Tool and what are their thoughts on it? I just got a recognition award for my company for work done over the last 4 months for the benefit of the company and the reward was a Victorinox Rescue Tool. The tool is being purchased through some company rewards program system so I haven't got it yet and am wondering if anyone has played with one in recent days.

Sep 28, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #349 of 2,248
Is that the safety yellow handled version of the lockblade Trekker? Be good to have in an industrial environment, but I went for the black handled version with smooth blade edge and the new army version with serrations forward for the woods. Hard to go wrong with Victorinox.

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #350 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that the safety yellow handled version of the lockblade Trekker? Be good to have in an industrial environment, but I went for the black handled version with smooth blade edge and the new army version with serrations forward. Hard to go wrong with Victorinox.

Quite true w.r.t Victorinox, and yes, it is the safety yellow handled version. All I know about it is that other than a bottle opener/screwdriver, Knife blade, and Phillips screwdriver, most of the remaining blades are safety related such as window breaker, safety glass disc saw and seatbelt cutter. Had a choice between this, a Victorinox multitool and a couple of smaller SAKs. I have way too many small SAK's as it is and I'm happy with my Leatherman multitools so I figured the Victorinox Rescue Tool would be a good knife to keep in the car for emergency situations. Hoping it's good as I haven't handled one yet.

Sep 28, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #351 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hoping it's good as I haven't handled one yet.

I find the one-handed lockblade Trekkers most ergometrically correct.
biggrin.gif
I would be tickled pink to be receiving the safety knife within the scenario you set out.

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #352 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the one-handed lockblade Trekkers most ergometrically correct.
biggrin.gif
I would be tickled pink to be receiving the safety knife within the scenario you set out.

Yeah, this new rewards program is rather entertaining. They let you go online and pick out of like 50-100 different things every time you earn a recognition. This time around, I was looking and thinking: "I don't need sunglasses, I don't need a purse, I have two backpacks so I'm good there, I don't need a telescope or binoculars, most of the 1 week services don't apply to the state of Alaska, I don't care for any new kitchen utensils, and half of the rest of this stuff is stuff that the company is required to purchase for me or reimburse me for if I need it." Pretty much the only things on there that I could have used were a Dremel tool, a new 1080p upscaling DVD player, a series of different multitools and knives of a Jacket. I bought a new jacket and DVD player in the last month and my old Dremel is still hanging in there, so it came down to pocket knives. And here I was telling myself I was done with them for the year....

Sep 29, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #354 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordofDoom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My bro just bought one of these the other day-
912 Details | Benchmade

BM912SBKD2.jpg

All I can say is it looks beautiful and scares the dick out of me.

Neat, it's the little bother of the first knife I ever bought: the 913D2.

In all honesty, you should be scared of that knife. That "Nitrous Assist Opening Mechanism" is really untrustworty. One time I was sitting down eating dinner, when I happened to look down and see the tip of the knife sticking out of my jeans, from inside my pocket. Seems that it sprung open on its own accord! Left a decent hole in the front as a reminder, and I'm actually wearing the same pants right now.
tongue.gif

Sep 29, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #355 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neat, it's the little bother of the first knife I ever bought: the 913D2.

In all honesty, you should be scared of that knife. That "Nitrous Assist Opening Mechanism" is really untrustworty. One time I was sitting down eating dinner, when I happened to look down and see the tip of the knife sticking out of my jeans, from inside my pocket. Seems that it sprung open on its own accord! Left a decent hole in the front as a reminder, and I'm actually wearing the same pants right now.
tongue.gif

Hard to believe there's no safety on that Benchmade. All of my autos have safety with one exception.

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #356 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hard to believe there's no safety on that Benchmade. All of my autos have safety with one exception.

Most assisted opening knives don't have safeties. Most designs depend on the strong detent from the assist mechanism to keep the knife closed unless the user intentionally triggers opening, and require the blade to be deployed past ~ 30 degrees or so before the assist mechanism activates. The odds of accidental in pocket opening isn't really any higher than with regular folders, but the results are quite a bit less user friendly.

Never had any problems with the auto assist knives that I've carried, but stopped carrying them as their primary attribute, really fast deployment, makes them rather people unfriendly.

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #357 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most assisted opening knives don't have safeties. Most designs depend on the strong detent from the assist mechanism to keep the knife closed unless the user intentionally triggers opening, and require the blade to be deployed past ~ 30 degrees or so before the assist mechanism activates. The odds of accidental in pocket opening isn't really any higher than with regular folders, but the results are quite a bit less user friendly.

Never had any problems with the auto assist knives that I've carried, but stopped carrying them as their primary attribute, really fast deployment, makes them rather people unfriendly.

So the Benchmade was an assisted opener rather than a full auto? My bad, sorry. I'm talking about full auto knives. I even have a Kershaw Ken Onion Leek assisted open that has a safety. Some full autos will do a lot of damage if the open button is triggered while it's in your pocket.

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #358 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My Gerber assisted opening knife has a safety. It still opened inside my pocket once - ruined my favorite cargo shorts. The trick is to not keep it in the butt pocket where sliding around and rubbing the knife as you sit will switch off the safety.

Sep 30, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #359 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the Benchmade was an assisted opener rather than a full auto? My bad, sorry. I'm talking about full auto knives. I even have a Kershaw Ken Onion Leek assisted open that has a safety. Some full autos will do a lot of damage if the open button is triggered while it's in your pocket.

I've got a Leek as well, and frankly, I'm glad for the little safety latch on it. The force needed to flip it open doesn't feel like an exceptionally large amount and as such, I used to worry when I had it in my pocket and would sit down, for fear that it would pop open.

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #360 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Gerber assisted opening knife has a safety. It still opened inside my pocket once - ruined my favorite cargo shorts. The trick is to not keep it in the butt pocket where sliding around and rubbing the knife as you sit will switch off the safety.

That would be a real pain in the butt! Sorry, couldn't resist.
tongue_smile.gif

I have one full auto that does not have a safety, but by design, it is virtually impossible to open it without the intent to do so.
The one in the middle.
3834673417_36c93c30d8.jpg

3835469014_c5fcefc037.jpg

demo video

Users who are viewing this thread

Back