knife-fi?
Aug 24, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #332 of 2,248
Thanks appophylite!

Sherlock,
I collect knives, among other things, as a hobby. For me knife collecting started back in the '60's. So I've been at it for a while, although, there were a few years where nothing new was added to the collection and a few times where the collection as it was, was divested.

I like the mechanical cleverness with which they're engineered, the mechanical precision with which they're constructed, and the asthetic beauty of their design.

Because folding knives tend to be more mechanical contrivances than fixed blade knives, I have more folders in my collection than I do fixed (unless you count kitchen knives), but I do have more than a few custom fixed blades in the collection as well.

What do I use them for? I EDC (Every Day Carry) a couple with me each day and use them for whatever need for which they're best suited at any given moment.
  • I always have something like the Victorinox Mini Champ, Executive, Leatherman S4, or the like.
  • A Leatherman Skeletool CX,
  • Occasionally, one of the medium sized folders, like you see pictured in the post above, although not limited to just that brand.
What is your budget for the knife you're after?

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #333 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kwkarth that is a lovely knive collection. BTW on a separate subject what amp do you use to drive your K1000? Thanks.

Hi Miguel,
I am still using the K1000 amp and occasionally the little Mossfet output, 12AX7 input hybrid. I need to get serious and get a really good amp for them though.

Aug 24, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #334 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your budget for the knife you're after?

i dont know how fond i would be of spending more than 100, and i woul dlike it to have a straight blade. black preferably

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #335 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a disease. Look at poor Kevin (kwkarth); he's got friggin display racks for his knives. And poor Sherlock19 is askin' what to do everyday with a knife 'cause they look so cool he wants one (or two) without even knowing what he's going to use them for.
biggrin.gif
eek.gif
beerchug.gif
popcorn.gif

LOL! John,
You've got my number brother!
Cheers!

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #336 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherlock19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont know how fond i would be of spending more than 100, and i woul dlike it to have a straight blade. black preferably

I would suggest that you consider knives by CRKT. They're well made, but not in the USA. Most of them are designed by well known knifemakers.

Sport and Work Knives

If you want a quality US made knife, the Lone Wolf Laredo shown in the pictures I posted is not much more than 100 bux. Ithink it retails for about $120 which is extremely reasonable for a US made knife of those materials and quality.

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #337 of 2,248
Quote:

It's a disease. Look at poor Kevin (kwkarth); he's got friggin display racks for his knives. And poor Sherlock19 is askin' what to do everyday with a knife 'cause they look so cool he wants one (or two) without even knowing what he's going to use them for.
biggrin.gif
eek.gif
beerchug.gif
popcorn.gif

Quite true, Good Sir, quite true!

Quote:

Any particular reason you are leaning towards a black blade? In any case, off the top of my head, two models I can think of that match what you appear to be looking for in your target price range would be the CRKT M-16 series (take a look at the CRKT website like kwkarth mentioned), and the Kershaw Leek. The Leek doesn't have a straight blade, but the curve on it is so minimal that it appears straight at first glance. The M-16, on the other hand, all feature straight blades ending with a tanto tip and some have black blades (M-16 10KZ, and M-16 SRT off the top of my head). They also range on the cheaper side between $30-$69.

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #338 of 2,248
Quote:

i would love to know some common everyday uses for these folding knifes, i have been looking into getting one and was just curious what yall use em for.

The usual tasks for my EDC knife are cardboard box opening and breakdown, food prep, blister pack opening, and field expedient wire cutter/stripper. The "if all you have is a hammer..." mindset also occasionally strikes with the occasional light prying and the ever dangerous zip tie removal.

At < $100, I recommend that you buy a Manix 2, a diamond rod sharpener, and never visit this thread (or any knife forums) again.

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #339 of 2,248
Good one Marvin!!

BTW, John, The display sticks were given to me by my favorite William Henry purveyor.

Here are a couple of pics of my William Henry set, the true queens of the shelf, even though I've carried all of them at one time or another and gingerly used them.

Dealer's Display
2915724744_ba7e5d9976.jpg

My Collection:
3850759879_382bfa2a5a_b.jpg

Clockwise from upper right:
First is the Gentac with Mokame frame, Snakewood scales, Copper Wave damascus blade - VG5 core, 21 of 50.
3851546618_bb961459ed.jpg

This next one is a full auto opening, Wooly Mammoth bone scales, Mokame Frame, Damascus Wave, ZDP-189 Core, 09 of 10.
3850756417_0cf0dc0287.jpg

Bottom knife here is Kestrel, ZDP-189 blade w/ DLC black, Iron wood scales, Titanium frame. 060 of 500
3850751787_08e0b3a018.jpg

The middle knife here is also a Kestral design, with Damascus blade, Carbon Fiber scales, Mokame frame. The bottom one looks bigger from optical illusion. 082 of 500
3851549108_e8e6500e78.jpg

Top left knife here is a one of a kind custom, ZDP-189 blase with DLC, Blue Titanium Frame with solid gold inlay, Fossilized Walrus Ivory Scales.
3851550034_943380a723.jpg

Well, those are my shelf queens, but I gotta tell ya I've never see finer made knives or blade steel. Incredible workmanship, made by hand right here in good old Oregon. The gemstones set in the thumb studs and lock release buttons are various sapphires, etc. (too lazy to look up the list) The silver studs on the ends of the tassels are solid silver, and the beads on the ends of the last one are more fossilized Ivory.

BTW, ZDP-189 is Rockwell 67 yet not overly brittle. They stay sharp a long, long time, but they're a real bear to resharpen. Gotta keep them touched up.

Aug 24, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #340 of 2,248
Quote:

LOL! John,
You've got my number brother!
Cheers!

I should, Kevin, I'm just two beds down in the same ward (and have been at it for at least as long.
biggrin.gif
I would have to say that your William Henry rep made a wise investment in you. You have been velly, velly good to him. Beats the living hell out of beanie babies. BTW, I do like the design element of the clip being on the case rather than on the knife handle.

My only difference is that I don't do shelf queens; everything I get is for practical applied use and gets used. Some infrequently, but used.
redface.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #341 of 2,248
Quote:

...My only difference is that I don't do shelf queens; everything I get is for practical applied use and gets used. Some infrequently, but used.
redface.gif

Ya, I understand completely. I said the same thing until I started looking at the William Henrys up close and personal. And to think these knives are considered by some to be entry level!

Aug 24, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #342 of 2,248
Interesting article:

http://www.williamhenrystudio.com/us...le/ventana.pdf

William Henry Review in Blade Magazine

Hello to all William Henry enthusiasts and aficionados! Matt here with a brief caveat to the attached performance review published in Blade Magazine:

We do not condone all of the tests performed on our Ventana for this article. We build exceptional tools that can take virtually any abuse required, but we only guarantee them when used as cutting instruments. Any prying, hacking, wedging, or other extreme applications are not recommended or covered under warranty.

That little bit of legalese aside, this excellent review of our smallest and arguably most elegant pocket knife makes a point we want proclaimed from the hilltops: William Henry is not too pretty to use. We build fine tools, plain and simple, and know that our true legacy revolves around the rare combination of form and function that is integral to everything we create.

So add our work to your daily attire, and trust that it will perform at a level commensurate with the visual and tactile experience that makes it a William Henry.

Warmest Regards

Matt Conable
President/Designer

http://www.williamhenrystudio.com/us...le/ventana.pdf

Sep 5, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #343 of 2,248
Hmm, parents wouldn't let me get a knife, so instead I got a multitool a pretty nice one IMO. A SOG Powerassist, notably features is the "compound leverage" pliers, and 2 assisted opening knives. I was going to get a Flash 1 or 2 but decided a multitool would be a bit more useful. I would advise against using this as an EDC unless you work in construction or demolition, because of its size and weight. 9.3oz, and about 4.5 inches long. A more suitable EDC multitool would be something like the Leatherman Skeletool

dscf3625.jpg

dscf3627c.jpg

dscf3628.jpg

dscf3629v.jpg

dscf3626.jpg

Sep 6, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #344 of 2,248
Quote:

Hi Miguel,
I am still using the K1000 amp and occasionally the little Mossfet output, 12AX7 input hybrid. I need to get serious and get a really good amp for them though.

Thanks, I am looking at getting my first K1000 with a Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2, the lack of play money is holding me back.
smile.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #345 of 2,248

Users who are viewing this thread

Back