KGSShv Carbon - hows it sound with the 009s?
Jul 23, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #31 of 834
  Except a 717. My 717 is not so far behind my KGSShv partly I am sure as it has volt swing and Ma than the 323. Also it drives my 007As very well and they are hungry phones. I am selling my 717 at the moment on here as it happens..... 

The SRM-323S can be imported from Japan for $530 or so. Can't beat that in terms of price.
cool.gif

Jul 23, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #32 of 834
Jul 23, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #34 of 834
The 323 is behind the 727 especially on the 007s.

I tried both and prefer the 323s over the 727ii for sr007. The bass on 727ii is joy very tight and that is a bad match to the 007.

Sep 22, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #35 of 834
So at this point, has anyone compared the KGSSHV Carbon to the HeadAmp BHSE with the SR-009? All I know is that Birgir described the Carbon as having "the best bass I’ve heard from an electrostatic amp."

Sep 22, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #36 of 834
  So at this point, has anyone compared the KGSSHV Carbon to the HeadAmp BHSE with the SR-009? All I know is that Birgir described the Carbon as having "the best bass I’ve heard from an electrostatic amp."

Yes Yes tell me! I have asked this question before and no takers. The trouble is you need a BHSE owner who has also bought the Carbon of Birgir, so nobody yet. My KGSShv has stronger fuller and warmer bass than the BHSE in my demo's at David61. But the bass is only part of the story.... I would guess the Carbon is more of the same as my KGSShv i.e amazing. I would like one if funds were good....

Sep 22, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #37 of 834
  Yes Yes tell me! I have asked this question before and no takers. The trouble is you need a BHSE owner who has also bought the Carbon of Birgir, so nobody yet. My KGSShv has stronger fuller and warmer bass than the BHSE in my demo's at David61. But the bass is only part of the story.... I would guess the Carbon is more of the same as my KGSShv i.e amazing. I would like one if funds were good....

hehe. Yeah, that's the dilemma. And the designers use incredibly vague language and don't actually tell us much at all about the differences they hear between the amps. But here's a cool twist to the story: Awhile ago, my best friend and I planned a "BHSE heist" involving me potentially buying a new HeadAmp Blue Hawaii SE in the future, but with NO wait period. (Don't ask for the details. Let's just say it takes advantage of a perfectly legal loophole.) If (and that's a big if) I ever have the funds and inclination to buy both, I will surely share all my thoughts. But then there are the other darn electrostat amps to wonder about...especially the DIY T2 and Nanotube. (Here's my thread about the Nanotube.) Honestly, though, I love electrostats so much more than non-electrostats (for example, even the STAX SR-207 sounded more realistic to me than the Abyss AB-1266, HIFIMAN HE1000 & HE6, Sennheiser HD 800, etc.) that I don't mind the idea of eventually collecting all these amps. On the other hand, the sound can also obviously be manipulated with modifications (like this and this), EQ, and devices like the Smyth Realiser A8, making amps not quite as important as they would have been.

Sep 22, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #40 of 834
I will have a BHSE this year, am building a Carbon, T2 (almost done) and yes, the Circlotron. However my opinion won't help you because I don't believe much in the 'is better' theory of Stax gear. For example am listening to a T1 at the moment with the 404 and immensely enjoying it, while others will tell you they're trash. 

Anyhow, why bother asking? You know it will sound great. 

Sep 22, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #41 of 834
  I will have a BHSE this year, am building a Carbon, T2 (almost done) and yes, the Circlotron. However my opinion won't help you because I don't believe much in the 'is better' theory of Stax gear. For example am listening to a T1 at the moment with the 404 and immensely enjoying it, while others will tell you they're trash. 

We all know that all of them sound great. That is not the issue; the fact that each one costs thousands upon thousands of dollars is. Some of us can only afford one and want to know how they compare and which ones sound better. I know "better" can be subjective, of course, but still, there are objective aspects as well.

Sep 22, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #42 of 834
Objective and idle reports on the internet? Anyhow I don't think that a decent opinion can be formed without having it in your house for a good period of time. The used market is active enough that it should be easy to try for yourself, plus meetups to give at least a taste. Doesn't have to cost anything either, there is a member here who has owned nearly every headphone for little cost, just selling for what he bought them for. 

The other issue is that I see market distortions because of the opinions of a few individuals. In Stax, the favored headphones and amps are impossible to find, and the disliked ones easy and cheap. Interestingly my opinions (owning both) are opposite to the supposed consensus.

My 2cents, certainly this won't stop people from basing their listening decisions on other opinions. 

Sep 22, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #43 of 834

Ridiculous advice / statement. The doesn't help anyone........

Sep 22, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #44 of 834
Ridiculous advice / statement. The doesn't help anyone........

As if your mud throwing is helping anybody? All I said was 'form your own opinion', and in a followup I gave the reason why. If I had listened to consensus I'd be missing out on what I find to be what I think is the best Stax gear (including the 404 Signature). 

You could be a bit kinder, and if you were more familiar with the forums you'd know I've contributed many an opinion on Stax gear, but I also generally followup with "form your own opinion". 

Edit: in fact I just gave you an opinion on the SRM-T1W the other day. Oh well, the internet ...

Sep 22, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #45 of 834
OK I Accept the apology / point you make. But I stand by the forum advice I have given in the past. The levels of SQ in the various models is huge. The chance of folk posting here, especially newbies, and the impossible task of hearing a KG amp or a BHSE at home. Most end up buying the current Stax amp offerings and then loose interest and either sell it years later, or go back to speakers of Planars. I makes me weep. There is some FANTASTIC sound possible with the right gear, and more can get there with good advice.

I dig your 'collection' of older Stax amps. It might not align with most users though. Amps blow up and caps fail, Lambdas fall apart. I am not a fan. But that is why this forum is good, we throw opinions out there, and newbies go out and (hopefully) get a good system to suit their budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back