KGSShv Carbon - hows it sound with the 009s?
Jul 16, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #18 of 834
  probably more than that, if he is going to make it after all. 
Its similar to the Carbon and then you have to add four floating PSUs of each 900V , and since they needs to float they need separat transformers as well ....

If it's better than the DIY T2, I'm all in!
biggrin.gif

Jul 16, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #20 of 834
  never heard the T2, have you?  all the Gilmore designs I have heard so far sounds very, very good - and since Kevin states that "it's fun to listen to as the T2" I guess it must be really close

Nah, wish I had. I kinda get the feeling that I would have to collect all these amps to know which ones sound the best to me, even if others say X amp sounds the best to them. But still, I'm just waiting for a definitive "This amp sounds the most realistic with the SR-009!" statement from those in the know. That would make things simpler for me, since I'd prefer to only buy one.

Jul 16, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #21 of 834

Nah, wish I had. I kinda get the feeling that I would have to collect all these amps to know which ones sound the best to me, even if others say X amp sounds the best to them. But still, I'm just waiting for a definitive "This amp sounds the most realistic with the SR-009!" statement from those in the know. That would make things simpler for me, since I'd prefer to only buy one.

Do you have the 009s? I had one of the early ones and found it to sound artificial, very impressive at start but artificial after some time ...as far as I have read (not heard) the latest 009s have changed to the better

Jul 16, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #22 of 834
  Do you have the 009s? I had one of the early ones and found it to sound artificial, very impressive at start but artificial after some time ...as far as I have read (not heard) the latest 009s have changed to the better

Largely depends on your front and and Stat amp. The 009s IMO are amazing, far more realistic than anything else I have heard including top speakers.

The 009s can sound 'bright' if partnered with a DAC that is err - bright as many are on the market......

Jul 16, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #23 of 834

Questions:

1. When will this be available for purchase?
  2. Where can it be purchased from?
  3. What will the name of the amp be?
  4. What will the price be?
  5. Does it sound better than the Mjölnir KGSSHV Carbon?
  6. How does its sound compare to other TOTL electrostat amps such as the DIY T2, BHSE, etc.?
  7. Will there be an option for it to work with both STAX and the Sennheiser Orpheus HE 90?

Silly questions here. The amp would be DIY not commercial, so no price or 'launch as such. It will no doubt filter through onto the DIY market and you may find a builder. Price would be all over the shop depending on parts count and the builder.

Jul 16, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #24 of 834
The name of the amp is "Nanotube"

works with every electrostatic headphone.
koss and he90 included.

amazing on sr-002

someone else can answer the rest of the questions.

Jul 16, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #25 of 834
I used to own Atmospheres. Nice amps, 800W waste heat! I literally couldn't run them in summer. With a few mods though they sounded great (can't remember what I did, some kind of SS bias or CCS circuit). I'll be building one.

Jul 16, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #26 of 834

I plan on buying the SR-009 sometime in the next few months. Someone I know modified the voltage of his SRM-323S so it works in the US without needing anything extra, and he's willing to sell it to me for a great price, so I'll just use that as a starter amp until I can afford an ultimate amp.

And yeah, as per the quote below, the sound depends on your setup. Which gear did you use with it?

Even if for whatever reason it ends up being too bright for me on a particular system, I can always use a parametric equalizer to fix most FR problems.

Largely depends on your front and and Stat amp. The 009s IMO are amazing, far more realistic than anything else I have heard including top speakers.

Which is exactly why I am going for them. ^_^

Silly questions here. The amp would be DIY not commercial, so no price or 'launch as such. It will no doubt filter through onto the DIY market and you may find a builder. Price would be all over the shop depending on parts count and the builder.

Yeah, good point. I was just trying to get a general idea about it. I know Birgir sells his DIY stuff, so my questions were in that type of context. But I honestly have no clue when it will be available for purchase. I suppose it's a conveniently moot point for me, though, since by the time I could afford it, it should surely be available. My only other requirement is that it's all black. Going for the Darth Vader look in my system. ...But I still need to know if it sounds better (as in more accurate and realistic) than the DIY T2. lol

The name of the amp is "Nanotube"

works with every electrostatic headphone.
koss and he90 included.

amazing on sr-002

someone else can answer the rest of the questions.

ooohh!
eek.gif
I like the name.
biggrin.gif

So if Birgir sells it, it will just be called the Mjölnir Nanotube? (Without KG in the name.)

Very nice. We're in crazy money territory here, so being able to use it with all 'stats is very nice.

Jul 16, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #28 of 834
I plan on buying the SR-009 sometime in the next few months. Someone I know modified the voltage of his SRM-323S so it works in the US without needing anything extra, and he's willing to sell it to me for a great price, so I'll just use that as a starter amp until I can afford an ultimate amp.

And yeah, as per the quote below, the sound depends on your setup. Which gear did you use with it?

i used two Spritzer builds, a kgss and a kgsshv ... to my ears the 009 sounded best off the kgss ....
Also had a 323 and a 006t .... i agree that the 323 sounds better than the 006t, but still it is not at the kgss level,

Jul 23, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #29 of 834
i used two Spritzer builds, a kgss and a kgsshv ... to my ears the 009 sounded best off the kgss ....
Also had a 323 and a 006t .... i agree that the 323 sounds better than the 006t, but still it is not at the kgss level,

For the price that you can get the 323S for...I doubt that anything out there can beat it.

Jul 23, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #30 of 834
  For the price that you can get the 323S for...I doubt that anything out there can beat it.

Except a 717. My 717 is not so far behind my KGSShv partly I am sure as it has volt swing and Ma than the 323. Also it drives my 007As very well and they are hungry phones. I am selling my 717 at the moment on here as it happens..... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back