KEF new headphones!
Jun 22, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #182 of 685
You can easily (and I mean easily) change the clamping force on the m500 to your liking. I just stretched it out a little and wow, the most comfortable headphones ever! More comfortable even than my mdr ma900 and 1r!

Ear positioning also changes the soundstage somewhat dramatically. Don't wear them on the front of your ears, wear them farther back and man it improves.

I don't think I've ever had a headphone that I haven't had a problem with the build, that is, except the m500.

Sound Comment: The Soundstage is veeery deep abd it has good height, especially for a closed on-ear headphone. It's not very wide though, but that was expected.

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #183 of 685
Quote:
I don't think I've ever had a headphone that I haven't had a problem with the build, that is, except the m500.

The build is wonderful. You can tap your fingers on any part of the construction and it is solid and dead. Compare that to the various percussive noises you get when doing that to a Skullcandy Aviator.

M500 looks great, feels great, sounds great. The complete package.

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #185 of 685
It looks amazing. I thought the Momentums looked good but these are on another level. Kef is definitely keeping their integrity in tact as they enter into the headphone market.

Jun 22, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #186 of 685
One more question before I pull the trigger. if you had to pick one, would you keep the Martin Logans 90 or M500?

Jun 22, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #187 of 685
Quote:
Ok. First impressions:

Comfort-Wonderful for short listening, but they hurt for longer sessions, just be because they're on ear and they're brand new. Clamp is just right.

Isolation-Nice, no complaints

Build- Nice, wonderful actually.

Concerns- Only one problem, and this will suck for some people, is the microfonics. Rubbing the cord at lower volumes isn't a pleasant exp, and any touch on the headphones will produce some sound. The cord is a little thin.

Sound- I shouldn't write anything on the sound really, its too early. But I guess I could say something. The sound is pretty much neutral, though having a veeeery small bump in the upper bass/lower midrange area. The highs thankfully aren't recessed, and the bass is absolutely perfect quantity wise. Like beagle said, the quantity of bass depends entirely on the recording. Some are bass light, some bass heavy.

Quality wise, I won't give many impressions. I'll say they're very clear and airy sounding (compared to other portables in this price range). The soundstage is pretty damn good for an on ear too.

Only good things! Against the ws99, 1r, etc, well, that'll have to wait for another time.

Thanks for the review
smily_headphones1.gif
Looking forward to your comparison with the WS99's. Do let us know what you think

Jun 22, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #189 of 685
Quote:
One more question before I pull the trigger. if you had to pick one, would you keep the Martin Logans 90 or M500?

I would have to go with the M500 due to it's sonic honesty and comfort.

But the Martin Logan is a real hi-fi treat
smile.gif

Jun 22, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #190 of 685
Impressions #2:
I still may have that new toy effect, but after all the new toys I've gotten in the past, probably not.

Anyway, with every headphone, you have to give up something. I'd say this headphone's main weaknesses are:frowning2:not burned in really, only like 7 hours)
1- Lack of width in the soundstage. It's very noticeable.
2- Bass: I'd say the bass is about average. It does mud up the sound a little, and its more noticeable against my ath ws99, which had the absolute best bass ever! The width of the soundstage and the somewhat loose bass kind of compound each other, making these sound a lot more like headphones than my other cans.

The sound is very neutral, with slight emphasis in the bass to upper mid range area. The mid mids and upper mids, and highs rock though. These sound nice at most genres. The only genres it falls in are rock, metal, or soundtrack, genres that require solid, and fast bass.

These are pre burn in impressions though, so take this with a grain of salt.

If you wanna know which I prefer out of the ws99 and m500 right now, I'd say the ws99, but don't worry, these will probably improve.
Beagle, how do these improve with burn in?

Jun 22, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #191 of 685
Interesting. I have no problem with the bass (very balanced) and I find the M500 spacious from all angles, depending, of course, on the recording. But I am using them with a good amp..

Jun 22, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #192 of 685
Hmph. I have an amp and haven't used it because I just don't feel like putting it on.
You may not notice it because you haven't compared them to the ATH WS99, which is known for its unstoppable bass.

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #193 of 685
It's funny how much sound can interpretation can change with mood and tie of the day. These things just sound wonderful right now. These have just the right amount of bass, while the ws99 can be a little too bassy. Oh, and your sooo right about the clamping pressure.

Jun 23, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #194 of 685
How do the M500s compare to Yamaha PRO 500s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back