KEF M500 versus Martin Logan Mikros 90
Apr 14, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #61 of 63
  Mikros 90 >>> M500.
By comparison, the KEFs sound like a "mass market" product IMHO.

Well, I certainly can't say you are wrong as I don't have a Mikros on hand to compare. As I said, I just don't see what it is that ML knows that others don't in terms of pure technical terms. I have ZERO doubt that the Mikros is an exceptionally well voiced product and if it wasn't for being so sensitive to any clamping force on-ear, I would have taken a Mikros. I might still do so as they sond very special so I need to hear for myself. I'm not sure you are being fair suggesting the KEF is a V shaped Beat's wanna be (I'm assuming that is the gist of what a mass market headphone is). I am not an inexperienced kid myself, and I think the KEF sounds quite nice so if that is mass market, well mass market is good indeed. We all develop bias toward the things we like, that is natural, you love the Mikros, I get that for sure, and it is always nice to see somebody so passionate about their gear.

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #62 of 63
I'm going to modify my previous post as for sure I need to acknowledge the KEF having a bit of the "fun" sound, but certainly not a wild V. They do seem fairly natural and poised to me, but yes, if the ML is very neutral I can see how by way of comparison one would feel the KEF was more towards the fun/mass appeal signature. I have a MDR 1A that does many things quite nicely, but the bass is certainly very fun and can intrude into the balance. That is why I went for the KEF. The Sony is still very nice, and it responds nicely to an EQ cut at a few points to tone the bass down.

I mention the Sony as way of referencing that while I can enjoy a fun signature, it is not something that I value over a well balanced signature, which I feel the KEF is more so than the 1A simply due to the bass being less bloomy and boomy.

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #63 of 63
I enjoyed the M500 when I owned them.
You're absolutely right; I just didn't enjoy them as much as the Mikros 90.
Still have the Mikros 90 and have since heard [and subsequently sold] the likes of the K812, SR-407.  : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back