KEF M500 versus Martin Logan Mikros 90
Jan 16, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #16 of 63
From what I gathered, M500 is aiming at the "Mid-fi" crowd and its design and sound is certainly on the same page with its intention, even if its pricing is above and beyond that most budget "Mid-fi" like ATH-M50. On the other hand, I believe mikros 90 might provides, for some people, their first Hifi experience. At least, it would give them a taste of what a Hifi sound should be.

Jan 18, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #17 of 63
UPDATE:
After about 200+ hours the Mikros 90 have filled out in the mid bass.  In fact, the bass is supremely balanced, coherent and well integrated with the midrange.  The entire acoustic fabric is seamless in transition from the Mikros 90's celestial treble heights to their subterranean bass depths, with a midrange clarity arresting in its immediacy.  

Whatever "apparent" advantage the M500 had seemed to have there in the early going is now completely gone.  The Mikros 90 better--and by a large margin--the KEFs in every department IMHO.  To my ears, the M500 are nowhere close to the MLs.  

Like slfan so aptly noted: the M500 cater to a mid-fi crowd who are content with midbass emphasis as the "summit" of a headphone's capabilities.  The Mikros 90, on the other hand, provide a genuinely reference class, highend listening experience in my estimation as well.

Jan 19, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #19 of 63
i been "lookg around" for a portable headfone that has enuf clarity for some classical albums in my ipad.
Tried the Kef / Nad / UE ..they are good for pops.. but not classicalsonmyipad..blush.
Narrowed down to Momentum, and with a side interest in the Bowers P3. 
These 2 seem to have an added degree of separation which i like...thruoghmyipad again i stress.

I didnt notice this ML beau, until i saw PATABURD's recommendation in another thread..
Read thru the review on this thread..sounds like what i am looking for...good separation,
fold down cups...and at 80bucks..i could sell my HE-6 to fund this..no? :p

Q: The headband n pads...real lamb?  like those on Bowers ?:p

Q2... Should i wait another month for half of USA to thaw b4 i place an order?

Q3..i hope it doesnt slip off my midsizedhead like the KEF...? !

Jan 19, 2014 at 5:49 AM Post #20 of 63
This martin logan headphone hasn't hit the Europe (UK specifically) shelves right?

Can't find one here.

Does anyone know when I'm likely to do so - I'd love to hear these headphones.

Jan 19, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #21 of 63
  i been "lookg around" for a portable headfone that has enuf clarity for some classical albums in my ipad.
Tried the Kef / Nad / UE ..they are good for pops.. but not classicalsonmyipad..blush.
Narrowed down to Momentum, and with a side interest in the Bowers P3. 
These 2 seem to have an added degree of separation which i like...thruoghmyipad again i stress.

I didnt notice this ML beau, until i saw PATABURD's recommendation in another thread..
Read thru the review on this thread..sounds like what i am looking for...good separation,
fold down cups...and at 80bucks..i could sell my HE-6 to fund this..no? :p

Q: The headband n pads...real lamb?  like those on Bowers ?:p

Q2... Should i wait another month for half of USA to thaw b4 i place an order?

Q3..i hope it doesnt slip off my midsizedhead like the KEF...? !

A1:
Headband and earcups are advertised as leather, not lamb skin.  Earcups may use "protein leather".  The ad does not specify.
http://www.martinlogan.com/headphones/mikros90.php

A2:
Not sure how pricing will behave over the next few months.  Since last November/December prices have come up a little.

A3:
The Mikros 90 clamp very firmly. 

See the dedicated Mikros 90 thread.  Some have commented on/explained their preference for the Mikros 90 over the P5, P7 and Momentum.  With my best source gear, I frequently prefer the MLs to the HE-6.

Jan 19, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #22 of 63
  This martin logan headphone hasn't hit the Europe (UK specifically) shelves right?

Can't find one here.

Does anyone know when I'm likely to do so - I'd love to hear these headphones.

I will write the sales representative here and ask whether/when Martin Logan will market the Mikros 90 in the EU.

Jan 19, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #25 of 63

Cheers mate.
I was looking for some nice on ear's. Not afraid to stretch the clamp out of headphones - but would this be required with these?

Cheers.
Bending/re-sculpting can be done and has proven useful for some.  The customer representative for Martin Logan reports that some ML employees have done just that to optimize fit and eliminate discomfort as required. 

Kindly refer to the dedicated Mikros 90 thread and float your inquiry there; and/or e-mail Scott Gribble at Martin Logan and discuss your concerns with him.  At least one Head-Fi user has mentioned successfully custom-reforming his headband as needed.  Personally, the ML's clamping force was never an issue for me. 

It depends on the dimensions of your skull and your comfort threshhold.

Feb 5, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #29 of 63
Thanks Pataburd for the indepth comparisons between the Kef and ML.
The good news is that it's still available at $90 On Amazon and Newegg, bad news is they don't ship to Belgium.
A French shop has it at 225euros http://www.son-video.com/Rayons/Casque-supra-auriculaire/Martin-Logan-Mikros-90.html
Mailed an official dealer here in Brussels but I bet they gonna ask 300euros for it...
Glad I still have some remaining control over my impulses as I was about to pull the trigger on the Kef deal from Razordogaudio (216euros shipping incl vs 299euros locally).

I find the MLM90 much more elegant (slightly too much Alu on the Kef for my taste), but it's the added isolation, tighter clamp to avoid sliding off, and prospect of lesser leakage on top of the SQ that make me reconsider the Kef.

Gonna dig through the 58pg MLM90 thread.

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #30 of 63
Get Pataburd to mail one to u... :p  
he is the Mikros Ambassador! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back