K272HD upgrade?
Apr 24, 2013 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SAViii

New Head-Fier
So I have an K272HD which I love with folk/accoustic/singer songwriter music. At home I primarily use it with a WA2, and find the combination exeptional. I also use it with a TTVJ slim for a more transportable setup.

My question is what would be the next step upgrade wise? 

The reasons why I love the K272HD is its midrange and the smooth treble. I dont need a headphone with more bass. While it is a closed headphone and I would primarily want to upgrade to a new closed headphone, it is not a requirement.

I also own a HE-500 and HD650, however with the genres mentioned above I find the K272HD more enjoyable.

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 6
As someone who owned and loved the AKG K271s, and as someone who's a folk junkie as well, I can tell you that there's no better upgrade than the Sony MDR-CD900ST. They have a bit less bass than the K271s, and soundstage is a little smaller, but other than that, they improve upon them in every way.

Honestly, I really don't think there's a better headphone on the planet for folk music than the CD900STs. I've heard a number of high end headphones like the HE-500s and HD800s, and they didn't even compare in respect to the mids. Very highly detailed, but without a trace of harshness or sibilance. Even when an album is mastered to be a little forward sounding, like, say, Bob Dylan's "Another Side of Bob Dylan" they remain smooth.

Worst thing I ever did was trade mine.
redface.gif

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 6
Mad Dog with Alpha Pads sport good midrange and sweet, smooth treble, they are still darker than K271/272 but bass is not that overwhelming.
Dog Pads take K272 pretty close to Mad Dog. I still can't tell which I like better, Dog Padded K271S seems to have more bite and more sparkle at the top end, Mad Dog might sound boring in comparison, so it's more of a toss between two.

Apr 24, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the replies:)

Im guessing the dog pads are the ones in the link: https://www.mrspeakers.com/fostex-t50rp-headphone-accessories-comfort-upgrades?product_id=60?

For a long time I have thought about buying the T50RP to see what all the fuzz was about. Might go for a set of pads and a T50RP and try the pads on both. However, did not the T50RP sell for 75$ some time ago? just checked amazon and see they sell for 130$, and apparently list price of 199$ :O

Kukuk, I will see if i can not find a place to audition the MDR-CD900ST. However, just read a review for Mike over at Headfonia, and said it was a bit analytical?

"The CD900ST is certainly unique. I think that this headphone was purposedly designed to sound analytical. The AKG K701 can even sound warm when you put the CD900ST next to it."

Apr 24, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #6 of 6
They are certainly analytical sounding, but they aren't completely dry and lifeless. That description might fit with just about every genre out there, but with folk they really come into their own. If an album or singer has a very lush sound, they'll have it on the CD900STs.

I try not to think about them in terms of lush and analytical though. To me, they are just completely lifelike in their replication of vocals, they're like the singer is sitting right in your lap singing to you.
tongue.gif

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a place to audition them. While you can get them in the US, they aren't commonly sold here, as they have to be imported from Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back