JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
Oct 15, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #1,247 of 1,936
Update: So i finally received my pair of headphones (80's) and i have to say i am impressed but yet at the same time not.  These are way loads better then the Klispch s5's.  The lows go a lot deeper, the mids are just as clean but my only issue lies with the highs.  They almost feel to harsh or loud, in a way i cant describe.   I assume this will go away with the burn in.

Ohh and soundstage, which i had no idea what is was using my s5's with the 80s it almost feels like the music is jumping around my head. Creates a really cool effect.

Oct 15, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #1,250 of 1,936
Update: So i finally received my pair of headphones (80's) and i have to say i am impressed but yet at the same time not.  These are way loads better then the Klispch s5's.  The lows go a lot deeper, the mids are just as clean but my only issue lies with the highs.  They almost feel to harsh or loud, in a way i cant describe.   I assume this will go away with the burn in.

Ohh and soundstage, which i had no idea what is was using my s5's with the 80s it almost feels like the music is jumping around my head. Creates a really cool effect.

Dont know how those s5 sounds but almost sure thatnthe fxd80 has diferent sound signature plus as stated, they need agresive burn in and you need time with them too, just let them burn and they will be adictive for sure. Crazy good

Oct 15, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #1,251 of 1,936
I have settled with the large stock FXD80 tips. They serve the sound well I think.

Man. I got a week using my fxd70. You guys call me crazy but i am liking it more than the 80's.

Oct 15, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #1,252 of 1,936
I have settled with the large stock FXD80 tips. They serve the sound well I think.

Man. I got a week using my fxd70. You guys call me crazy but i am liking it more than the 80's.

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #1,255 of 1,936
Quote:
Definitely crazy.
wink.gif

First time in this thread. And I don't really want to know, but how much better are the FXD80's than the FX40's? As a point of reference, dsnuts-hype
bigsmile_face.gif
got me into the FX40 a week or so back even though I've never been into iems. I was having a hard time warming up to them at first due to the excessive treble, but I read Doc's suggestion of taming the treble by putting on the memory foam tips, and now I am rather blown away by them.

So like I said, don't tell me, but how much better are the FXD80's?

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #1,256 of 1,936
Quote:
Sorry I can't read through 77 pages if this has been covered. But it's mentioned above the S500 is similar to the FXD80. I have and LOVE the S500 would anyone else agree that if I like the S500 i won't regret the purchase of the FXD80? Also I ordered the FX40 which seems to be lost in the mail. Wld I be better off getting my refund and just going with teh FXD80? How do they compare (besides a 80 dollar price difference).
Thanks.

Ha! Just wading through this thread now, educating myself on the wonders of in-ear nano-tubage wonderment. Since you posted the above 3 weeks ago, and since you have since listed the FX40 (which I'm listening to at the moment in amazement... with the foam tips of course) as your #2 giant killer, I can only presume that you kept them! Onwards I read...
popcorn.gif

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #1,257 of 1,936
Quote:

First time in this thread. And I don't really want to know, but how much better are the FXD80's than the FX40's? As a point of reference, dsnuts-hype
bigsmile_face.gif
got me into the FX40 a week or so back even though I've never been into iems. I was having a hard time warming up to them at first due to the excessive treble, but I read Doc's suggestion of taming the treble by putting on the memory foam tips, and now I am rather blown away by them.

So like I said, don't tell me, but how much better are the FXD80's?

Well, I'm gonna let you know. 
tongue_smile.gif

From the 40's, it's the obvious and best upgrade from my point of view.  It keeps the same sort of bass but better controlled and minus the boom.  It is bassy so you won't lose out if you're into bass.  It does have treble but it's so much more refined and not harsh after some hours of burn.  On open box, the trebles weren't even close to the 40's for me and I was able to tolerate it.  After 30 + hours, it didn't bother me at all.  From that point on, its been nothing but pure enjoyment.  I use only the silicon tips provided also.  As for the 40's, I really did like them, but the treble was just too much (didn't give them 200 + hours and never tried foam tips).  I got fatigued after about an hour of use.  Since I tend to purchase many iem's/headphones, I didn't see the need for the 40's so I got rid of them.  But, no matter what I have now or purchase later, I will be keeping the 70's and 80's because they are THAT good to my ears.  I've sold earphones/headphones that cost 2-3x's more than the FXD's because music just sounds more enjoyable on them.  You will get a good idea what these will sound like from the 40's, so add refinement in all areas plus soundstage and you have the ultimate upgrade from the 40's.  

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #1,258 of 1,936
Quote:
Well, I'm gonna let you know. 
tongue_smile.gif

From the 40's, it's the obvious and best upgrade from my point of view.  It keeps the same sort of bass but better controlled and minus the boom.  It is bassy so you won't lose out if you're into bass.  It does have treble but it's so much more refined and not harsh after some hours of burn.  On open box, the trebles weren't even close to the 40's for me and I was able to tolerate it.  After 30 + hours, it didn't bother me at all.  From that point on, its been nothing but pure enjoyment.  I use only the silicon tips provided also.  As for the 40's, I really did like them, but the treble was just too much (didn't give them 200 + hours and never tried foam tips).  I got fatigued after about an hour of use.  Since I tend to purchase many iem's/headphones, I didn't see the need for the 40's so I got rid of them.  But, no matter what I have now or purchase later, I will be keeping the 70's and 80's because they are THAT good to my ears.  I've sold earphones/headphones that cost 2-3x's more than the FXD's because music just sounds more enjoyable on them.  You will get a good idea what these will sound like from the 40's, so add refinement in all areas plus soundstage and you have the ultimate upgrade from the 40's.  

Thanks Danny. The treble of the 40's was too much for me also and stopped me from appreciating the other aspects of them. I was about to give up on them until I tried the foam tips as per Doc's recommendation. I couldn't believe the difference they make - suddenly I was hearing balanced yet powerful bass, mids and treble. Quite amazing. It sounds like possibly the FXD80's are as good as the FX40's with foam tips! 
wink_face.gif

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #1,260 of 1,936
Quote:
Wish I could have tried them out before I got rid of them.  I bet I had some foam tips around when I owned them but never thought of it.  Thanks Doc!  

Well, where I am at now is that I am really enjoying the FX40s (with foam tips). They cost me approx $35CN. I could return them and get the FXD80's from our good friends buyfromjapan for $95 (because I can't really justify having both pairs). The question is, are the FXD80's worth the $60 premium? Keep in mind that I'm a guy that doesn't even like iem's (well, not since discovering the FX40 lol!). And to further complicate things, now we have rickdohc spouting off about liking the FXD70 more than the FXD80 lol! (then again, we all know that rick is crazy - he even thinks that the S500 is better than the almighty modded ksc75's!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back