JVC's Micro HD Line: HA-FXD80/70/60
Jul 12, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #721 of 1,936
I don't think so kiteki, but the lack a sizable mid-bass hump might help give that impression. I'm wondering if it might also be a product of having the drivers so close to the eardrum resulting in less resonance that is common with other iems.

Jul 12, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #723 of 1,936
I never try to  use equalization. 

Jul 12, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #725 of 1,936
Quote:

Would you say tips rolling is equalization?

Never looked at it that way, but interesting point my friend.

Jul 12, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #726 of 1,936
Tip rolling is hardware equalization, you don't need to pay $1000 for the ultimate software equalizer that way ^^, j/k.

I use software bass enhancement sometimes (SRS TruBass) but I appreciate the sound of hardware bass boost which I have in an old Sony Discman.

Final Audio don't seem to like the traditional circular design of tips very much, since several of their IEM tips have that X slice, makes sense.

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #728 of 1,936
To fix the black space on the 80 i use jetaudio plus on my z series player with vocal booster and bbe to 100 percent....the sound quailty was amazing after that.....but aslo the richness from the hardware music player is lacking very much :frowning2:......you all should give it a try.

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #729 of 1,936
Quote:

Major congratulations, Huxley.

Are the music ends of the both Yamaha and FX80's the same diameter? I ask because I had returned Yamaha's solely on fitment issues; rediscovering it, I suspect, by way of the FX80. Currently working it out with the FX80 with Monster gels and eventually trying the Auvio.

Also, interested in your assessment among the two IEM's.

The jvc's are a fraction bit smaller than the yamahas, but the tips they use are thicker so it works out about the same.

But the jvc's don't require a deep insertion unlike the yamahas, so you'll probably be fine with the fit there.

Also the yamaha tips will fit the FX80's, a bit loose but it works well, not much difference the yamaha side might be a bit more spatial.

As for sound differences, the yamaha's seem to be a bit veiled after listening to the jvc's, but are more spatial whilst being more intimate and forward both with vocals and instrumentation.

The jvc's are very airy, so vocals sit a bit further back, but everything has a natural timbre, treble is also sparkly but never in your face, piano keys come across exactly as you would expect.

Neither is better than the other tbh, though the more i listen to the FX80's the more i enjoy them.

However for dance/edm the yammies still reign supreme, they have much more energy and are such fun to listen to.

As for which one i would choose, i would say the jvc's but if im honest they're both great iem's.

One thing i noticed with the jvc's, upon first listening they had what seemed to my ears a midbass hump. A bit off putting but with burn in it's backed right off, treble has smoothed out and the details are more present than ever.

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #731 of 1,936
Quote:
The jvc's are a fraction bit smaller than the yamahas, but the tips they use are thicker so it works out about the same.

But the jvc's don't require a deep insertion unlike the yamahas, so you'll probably be fine with the fit there.

Also the yamaha tips will fit the FX80's, a bit loose but it works well, not much difference the yamaha side might be a bit more spatial.

As for sound differences, the yamaha's seem to be a bit veiled after listening to the jvc's, but are more spatial whilst being more intimate and forward both with vocals and instrumentation.

The jvc's are very airy, so vocals sit a bit further back, but everything has a natural timbre, treble is also sparkly but never in your face, piano keys come across exactly as you would expect.

Neither is better than the other tbh, though the more i listen to the FX80's the more i enjoy them.

However for dance/edm the yammies still reign supreme, they have much more energy and are such fun to listen to.

As for which one i would choose, i would say the jvc's but if im honest they're both great iem's.

One thing i noticed with the jvc's, upon first listening they had what seemed to my ears a midbass hump. A bit off putting but with burn in it's backed right off, treble has smoothed out and the details are more present than ever.

Thanks. Very interesting and it sounds like they were worth the wait.

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #732 of 1,936
Quote:

Thanks. Very interesting and it sounds like they were worth the wait.

They're certainly very good, a bit overhyped but certainly capable.

The music was a mixture of diana krall, as i know her material inside out, so picking out differences was easier.

Also for tv listening pick the yamahas, the jvc's are a bit hot stopping it from being that pleasurable.

Though i am just 24hrs into the burn, so it should be very nice once finished, and dsnuts is right these need a hammering.

One thing that is throwing me is the timbre, it's almost like a woodie iem, it's very smooth and natural nothing what i expected a nanotube driver to be.

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #733 of 1,936
Oh yea Hux. Wait till those get around 100 hours or so. These actually get much better overall in sound quality. You will see. Trying out the Auvio tips on my FXD70 now. Sounds great. One issue for me. It seem my inner ear canals are bigger than most so the large tips are a bit loose fitting. Otherwise they do sound great.

I noticed Radio Shack now sells beats and souls and such.. I asked the sales rep how good they are selling. He says all day long but too many folks return them the next day. I wonder why.

Jul 12, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #734 of 1,936
Ooooh yeah i see what you mean, seems the first day or so is just to hammer out the faults.

Even just a few hours later, im already noticing increased detail and control, not to mention they have become even smoother.

These are starting to get real nice.

Jul 12, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #735 of 1,936
I don't think they're overhyped, they're better than the TF10 and ER-4 which have been around for too long.

It may look like I'm hyping fangirl that loves everything Tokyo except how come I hate the Sony XBA series then haha.  JVC FX500 isn't very special either, I'm only keeping it for it's uniqueness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back