JVC/Victor FX700 - The Successor (early Easter Bunny brought something very nice!)
Apr 6, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #91 of 1,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by lelek45 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess the problem lays in different reference points. I mostly use Stax and IE8, both are extremely smooth, liquid, non aggressive, silky, etc. People who listen mostly to armatures, got used to aggressive sound.

Also (it is different discussion) but i think armature phones don't reproduce treble correctly (all of them). They tend to be either not very resolving on top, or sibilant, and metallic. I'm very allergic to this. e-Q7 is definitely not worst of armatures, but it just not the step up, as I expected it to be.

Regarding soundstage, I guess, we all have different things in mind. I don't think any closed IEM have any soundstage. Phones that have soundstage (in my definition) are: K701, SR-2020, D2000, SR-001, G1A, OK1 (listed in order of soundstage size). IE8 have best amongst IEMs (and they are semi-open). Phones: RE0, ER4P, E-Q7, HFI-780, UM3X have zero soundstage (in my book), or I could say that they have "imaginary" soundstage, if it explains something.

Hey lelek45 am very happy to see your impressions as they generally tend to square with mine. I too prefer phones that deliver a more 'natural' sense of detail retrieval rather than those that seem to want to force every minute nuance upon you, artificially so.

I find the Stax SRS 001 system to be very transparent with very good textural detail. How do you find the E-Q7 to fair in comparison to the baby stax in terms of transparency, realism and depiction of instrumental textures?
I eagerly await your impressions of the FX700.

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #92 of 1,764
Wow, seems that these fixed all my gripes with the FX500's. At $280 thats a mighty tempting price. I don't recall the FX500's being open-ended, do these leak sound? I would want to use these at work and I'm not sure if my office-mate would appreciate me blasting these out.

Apr 6, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #93 of 1,764
When I go to Seyo it shows them at $320, which is what I just paid earlier today. Where are you guys seeing the $280?

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #95 of 1,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I go to Seyo it shows them at $320, which is what I just paid earlier today. Where are you guys seeing the $280?

I was wondering the same thing. I have the same sickness as you and was going to order the FX700 but I can only find them for $320 so I held off.

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #96 of 1,764
cn11-

as james444 said while they are basically equally bright, the comparisan stops there. the quality of the treble is as james described and on a completely different level than the fx500

when i posted my comments on the fx700 i tried to as measured as I could as far as I knew at the time I was the only member to have listened to them and the first to comment on them.

they are excellent IEMs and completely blow the fx500 out of the water in all regards except size as they are quite large and wide. as i first said, they have successfully addressed the weaknesses of the fx500 while improving upon its strengths.

as for price, the cheapest way to get them is to order them from a vendor listed on kakaku.com and use tenso.com to forward them to you.

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #97 of 1,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by Father Schu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the detailed review James.

Great, now there's another IEM to consider! Regarding the size/weight of these (which I think you alluded to them being heavier/larger then the FX500's), was there any issue in getting a good fit? Are the included tips adequate or are you using something else to get the fit you like?

I checked Seyo shop this past weekend and they weren't listing them, and bang, this thread gets hopping and they now have them.

Despite of them being a bit wider and heavier than the FX500 fit was very easy. The angled nozzle helps a lot and like javajive said, it is slightly longer than the FX500's. When I wear them over-ear, they sit so flush that I can comfortably lay down with them. I have rather big ears, but this still surprised me, as I expected them being too large for that.

There are only the standard 3 sized single flange silicons included. The tips remind me of the FX500's and are of high quality, one of the rare cases when I did not need to switch to UE silicons for a good seal.

BTW when I first rummaged through the box I thought the tips were missing. JVC/Victor seem to have quite a weird sense of humor, but I won't say any more about this matter, as I don't want to spoil the experience for other buyers.
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #98 of 1,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by SleazyC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, seems that these fixed all my gripes with the FX500's. At $280 thats a mighty tempting price. I don't recall the FX500's being open-ended, do these leak sound? I would want to use these at work and I'm not sure if my office-mate would appreciate me blasting these out.

They are no different from the FX500 and don't leak much unless you play very loud. If your office-mates were fine with the FX500, there shouldn't be a problem with the FX700.

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #99 of 1,764
Oh crap!

I was quite happy moving to the Denon C751, but seeng that these are now for sale at Seyo...

As much as it is said that the FX1000 are the same as the FX500, I have always found the treble (well, the overall balance) of the 1000s to be more refined than the 500s, so... When I get to work, will check my finances, and if it looks okay, I will pick up a pair from Seyo, and then do a three way shootout; 500, 700, 1000... In a weird way I hope I don't have enough money lol

Damn this curse!

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #100 of 1,764
Duncan-
Well if they're good enough, perhaps after you do a compaison review you could recoup some of the finances by selling the 500/1000's.

That's the way I have to operate lately too.... selling off most of the gear which doesn't hold up so I'm not out too much. I'm having to save up for ummmm, a big 'life event' these days... and this site/hobby doesn't help very much!!!!

Apr 7, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #102 of 1,764
Oh - I could swear it was 280 yesterday...

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #105 of 1,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
James,does it fit hollow as ie8 or as deep as fx500?

I think it depends on whether your ear canal opening is wide enough to accommodate part of the housing. For me it's more like the FX500.

@cn11: I hope you'll have more luck fitting these than with the Ortofons, though due to their angled nozzle I'm feeling rather optimistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back