JVC/Victor FX700 - The Successor (early Easter Bunny brought something very nice!)
Apr 4, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #31 of 1,764
Hmmm, could this be the one that bridges the Orto e-Q7, Monster MD gap for me?

They are a closed design right?

I also cant tell if they are rated at 16 ohms or 160 ohms. Fingers crossed for 160....

I really hope these things kick butt, I've had a JVC Boombox from when I was a kid more than 20 years ago and it keeps pumping. GO JVC!!!

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #33 of 1,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
an iem with 160 ohms? i think not :p

Grados are 120. Maybe the JVC's are really sensitive
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #36 of 1,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by firoze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't see much of the case - can you post more pics?

Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do they have the stupidly short cable as fx500 or does it come with an extender?
From the looks,it seems that it will fit shalow like the ie8 because of the rounder body.

Quote:

Originally Posted by buz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually love the cable on the FX500, using it with the Clip+, it could even be shorter!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also cant tell if they are rated at 16 ohms or 160 ohms. Fingers crossed for 160....

Here's a link to a JVC/Victor press release (Google translation) with tech specs.

@firoze: There's also a picture of the case in that press release, it's nice but a bit on the large side, even larger than the FAD's.

@midoo1990: The short cable comes with a 0.7m extension cord.

@buz: In fact I also prefer short cables, as I always carry my DAPs in a shirt/breast pocket. But I can see how it's annoying when you don't.

@Anaxilus: Sorry buddy, only 16Ω. 160Ω would be rather precarious for an IEM. The RE1 is 150Ω and IME pairs well only with few DAPs like the AMP3 or Sony S-Masters.

Apr 4, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #38 of 1,764
Quote:

They are a closed design right?

Nope, like the FX500 they are open back:

james444-albums-album1-picture5173-fx700-backside.jpg

Quote:

I really hope these things kick butt, I've had a JVC Boombox from when I was a kid more than 20 years ago and it keeps pumping. GO JVC!!!

LOL, I too had one of these Boomboxes and they were awesome! Not exactly HiFi, but they could go incredibly loud without much distortion.
L3000.gif

As for the FX700s, they do kick butt. I'm not exactly a basshead, but with genres like trance I like some bass-authority and the FX700 deliver it.

Apr 4, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #39 of 1,764
Hey james, mind giving me a quick sound comparison with the HJE900s, as they are my only real IEM reference point? In terms of sound signature, timbre, imaging, and soundstage mostly? Much appreciated =] What genres do you prefer them with?

Apr 4, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #40 of 1,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by javajive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can`t say I`m surprised you were the first to pull the trigger on these james444...if there was a forum pool on who would be the first, no doubt my money would have been on you, mate!

In a follow up post I also reflected on the increased clarity in the highs but for my ears this makes them somewhat even brighter than the fx500 which led me to also say that those that found the highs on the FX500 sibilent/grating (I don`t FWIW ) may not find relieve in the FX700.

anyways, congrats on your purchase. you may be the first but thanks to your impressions I kinda doubt you will be the only one with them for much longer!

Hi javajive, I read your follow up post too, thanks again! It's funny, because from that post I was expecting a somewhat brighter sound signature, but after hearing them I think the highs are in good balance with the other frequencies. Like I said, they even stroke me as slightly too bass heavy for my liking with some test tracks.

Concerning sibilance, I have a great benchmark album for that, Stacey Kent's "Breakfast on the Morning Tram". I like that recording, but the mastering is overdone and in some passages there's sibilance and others are bordering on it. By that standard I can safely say that the FX700 did not add sibilance that wasn't already in the recording. However, the comparison to the FX500 and other IEMs is still on my ToDo-list.

I believe I'm not making a secret of liking the FX700s a lot (re-reading my first impressions I think I got a bit carried away, LOL). Still, I always caution fellow head-fiers not to rush out and buy things based on first impressions from only one or two folks - which in my case is of course preaching water while drinking wine...
tongue.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #41 of 1,764
Hmm...

I am still toying with getting the FX700 to go with the FX500 and FX1000 that I have... Then again, I am really really happy with the Denon C751 that I got for cheap a couple of weeks back...

James, I will eagerly await your impressions of the FX700 vs FX500... and that will help me decide if I need them or not
biggrin.gif

Happy Easter
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #42 of 1,764
james, have you heard any of the lower end customs in the same price bracket (specifically thinking about Livewire trips)? For the current price of the FX700 one could really get customs (who in my mind would fix the greatest gripe I have with the FX500 - *lousy* isolation)

Apr 4, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #43 of 1,764
@james444 agree completely that they are very balanced... Im still trying to get the hang of using the correct term to describe different charactoristrics but what I was trying to say is that the highs are just as prevalent IMOvon the fx700 as on the 500 but much clearer

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #44 of 1,764
@firoze, ZARIM, Napilopez: Comparisons with other IEMs will follow soon, when I have a little more playtime on the FX700 and find the time for A/B sessions and writeup.

@buz: No, I have no experience with customs. TBO they don't interest me that much, because I easily get a comfortable seal with most universals. If I want more isolation I choose closed ones like the SE530 or CK100, but in general I like the sound signature of vented IEMs better. I concur the FX500 and FX700 have very little isolation which can be a dealbraker on a subway, but IMO they are acceptable for bus and train rides.

Apr 4, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #45 of 1,764
They are ok on train rides unless you got 16 year olds discussion their latest idols next to you. The SQ is certainly good, I just wonder if customs would be a better fit now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back