JVC/Victor FX700 - The Successor (early Easter Bunny brought something very nice!)
May 13, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #436 of 1,764
WELL, not trying to change anyone's mind on anything, but it's about three weeks since I've owned the FX700. If I don't have 100 hours listening time on them, I'm pretty damn close. These IEMs have just opened up to whole different level for me, and I liked them straight out of the box. I have to say now that without a doubt these are the most clear and transparent dynamic IEMs I've heard thus far. I'm not saying they are the best of the best  or beat everything else, but for me, the sound is now my favorite out of all of the IEMs I own. This DOESN'T mean I don't love (or don't listen to) the MD or Orto anymore. I love them both, but these FX700 are something special. I've said this before so I'll say it again: the FX700 is like someone took what I liked best from the IE8, e-Q7, and Copper and meshed it all into one new IEM. With the right tips, I'm hearing crazy micro details (not as analytical as the HF5, but the details are there). The earphone is not as clear and as transparent as the e-Q7, but it's damn close. The bass quality and quantity is almost a mixture of the Monster and Orto to my ears. Mids are great (would mind a little more forward, but still nice), and the highs are there. Someone wrote that on one of these threads that IEM can't compete with cans, but I beg to differ. To me the FX700 blows the Denon D2000 out of the water in total sound spectrum, and I thought those were some pretty good cans. I hope this IEM last awhile in build quality - I think it will - but to me it's one of the few IEMs worth it's $300 MSRP (if that's what it is). The Orto is not worth it's close to $400 MSRP, but if it was a $300 MSRP, I would say the Orto is worth it then. Any other IEM I have - no matter how much I love it - isn't worth it's MSRP, but they are still good earphones. But yes, the FX700 is my favorite now. Still waiting to see what the DDM will do for me. Hopefully by Friday.

May 13, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #437 of 1,764
you got ripped off pretty badly if you paid close to 400 for your e-q7 :p

If only the FX700 had isolation that I need most of the time :) Oh your post was a little bit confusing..

Quote:
I'm not saying they are the best or beat anything else, but for me, the sound is not my favorite out of all the IEMs I own.

Quote:
But yes, the FX700 is my favorite now.

May 13, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #438 of 1,764

Quote:
you got ripped off pretty badly if you paid close to 400 for your e-q7 :p

If only the FX700 had isolation that I need most of the time :) Oh your post was a little bit confusing..

lol @ @ rawrster. That's what happens when you try to type after working 12 hours straight and you're sleepy. Okay, I meant to say I"m not saying the FX700 are the best of the best and beat everything else that is out there (as some have said about other IEMs), but for me, the sound is NOW my favorite out of all of the IEMs I own... The last quote you highlighted stands on its own. lol. Hope that clears things up buddy. Oh, and I didn't pay $400 for the Orto, but the suggested retail price when they first came was $400 or close to it is what I'm saying.

May 13, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #439 of 1,764
Hey Eric how does your FX change with more burning in? I find that the harshness that occur in the treble at times has almost entirely disappeared. The bass on the FX is really...enjoyable, or should I say enticing. I like the way it does it without interfering with the music as a whole, unlike on my IE8 the bass just screams: listen to me!!! I can sense the distance much better, where the drummer is supposed to be behind the singers. The bass is rich, textured and tight. I am not that good at describing sound, but you should be able to get what I meant. 
wink.gif

May 13, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #440 of 1,764
Ericp10, I pretty much agree with everything you've written. For me as well, the FX700 are the first IEMs that can be seriously compared to full-sized phones. Of course them being non-isolating might have a lot to do with that. Either way, for my taste they definitely are the best IEMs I've heard so far.

May 13, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #441 of 1,764

Quote:
Ericp10, I pretty much agree with everything you've written. For me as well, the FX700 are the first IEMs that can be seriously compared to full-sized phones. Of course them being non-isolating might have a lot to do with that. Either way, for my taste they definitely are the best IEMs I've heard so far.

It sounds really good, but since I need more isolation, I am looking out for the SM3. And I need to hear for myself, how accurate and neutral the SM3 can be.

May 13, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #442 of 1,764
That's interesting to say the least - have you heard JH13 or some such überexpensive custom, though?

May 13, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #448 of 1,764
I didn't get hit with anything when I ordered from Seyo in Japan, and had them shipped to the US. 

May 13, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #449 of 1,764
Well, so the 'quote thing doesn't seem to be working anymore.

Anyway, Chris - you don't get hit with customs charges because the US allowance is a lot higher than the UK/EU. The UK gift allowance is a paltry £36, so anything over that is subject to charges. And of course, customs add the cost of shipping to the item value too. So if an item is £30, and shipping is £10, we're already over the limit!

On topic, I am truly loving the JVC with my Sony X. I played around with a Cowon J3 for a few days (till it got bricked....) and the JVC wasn't such a good match at all. But JVC + X = bliss to my ears
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #450 of 1,764
Hmmmm, very interesting that they didn't have so much synergy with the Cowon J3.... I wonder what types of players they do well with, and poorly with. Might be a good thing to begin documenting for other future owners. Is the J3 similar in sound to how you remember the S9? If so, I bet they don't work so well with more cold, or 'mechanical/digital' sounding players, perhaps because of their great treble extension. I bet that would make for a cold, semi-harsh listening experience. 

I agree though, the FX's synergy with the X is amazing. It's the only DAP I've heard them out of though. I guess I could try them straight out of my iPhone and see what that's like.. but... I don't wanna, when I've got the X paired with the Arrow sitting right here.... 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back