JVC/Victor FX700 - The Successor (early Easter Bunny brought something very nice!)
May 3, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #391 of 1,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by koonhua90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you ask me whether I will sell my IE8, I'd say no. I have yet to hear another IEM that match the smoothness of IE8. It just does not give you fatigue.

um3x

May 3, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #392 of 1,764
Koonhua90, very nice (and interesting) first impressions. I must say that you guys are getting more and more interesting (and funny) with the analogies in your first impressions. This wife/mistress concept is cracking me up! lol... Funny! and you called you wife/IE8 fat @ koonhua90. Hope she didn't hear that, or she might be really hiding things from you in the near future...lol. Happy eargasm!! lol

May 3, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #393 of 1,764
Quote:

In short, IE8 is like a wife, slightly plump and voluptuous, and wife is always very nice and gentle to you. But wife sometimes like to keep things from you. Still, the wife does everything almost right, and does it in her own way. She's good in her way.

FX-700, on the other hand, is like a young slim sexy girl, she's the mistress. She wears transparent clothes, and doesn't hide things from you. She craves your attention. Yet, mistress sometimes will complain a bit. If you don't give her what she wants, then she will give you the face. Maybe as time goes, she will love you more, and you will have tamed her by then.

Using another analogy, IE8 is like a fat dark furred grizzly bear, while the FX-700 is like a leopard, light and swift. Both are strong, albeit different.

As I listen more to it, the clarity grows on me....it's addictive in some magical way. Pardon me if there's any grammar or structure mistake, I am on a rush to eargasm with my mistress, or in a more refined way of calling it, aural bliss.

Very, very nice, amusing and spot-on impressions. Hope you have fun with your new mistress!
biggrin.gif

BTW my mistress recently decided to desert me and spend some time with dfkt - so I reverted to my trusty plump IE8 today and it was almost like a second honeymoon.
wink.gif

May 3, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #394 of 1,764
lol
smily_headphones1.gif
I will say that was quite an enjoyable read and yeah you did just call your wife fat. I don't think she's quite happy with that.

May 3, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #395 of 1,764
lol @ James and rawrster.

May 3, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #396 of 1,764
@ midoo, luckily none of my friend has UM3X, if not I might end up spending again. But I can say that I am done for now, and the next one I will get will be custom in the summer.

Hey guys I didn't say my wife is fat, just voluptuous. I like voluptuous anyway. Tonight I will try the MD/FX/IE8 amp vs unamped. But I wont be able to do something like a review, until next week, when my finals finish.

Sidenote: I like how they pay attention to their design, like there's a protruded dot on the left side of cable slide (the thing you slide to manage the cable) to let the user know which one is left or right. The IE8 is always kind of troublesome. In a completely dark room/place, you will get L/R right on the FX, but not IE8 or any other IEM that does not have this kinda feature. The packaging is also impressive, instead of a not-so-useful metal box like IE8, they give a very nice and solid leather pouch (down side is the space might be a bit small for cable though). I am totally impressed that it has no plastic part whatsoever.

One more thing, I find it slightly harder to drive than IE8. IE8 is rated at 125db/1mW if I am not mistaken, and the FX is rated at 104db/1mW. Slightly less sensitive.

Even though the isolation is not that good, but as what others have mentioned here, it does not make much noise when strong wind blows by. The cable problem is going to annoy a lot of buyers, especially those with 'deep pockets' (no pun intended
biggrin.gif
). I resort to use the extender and wrap the extra length around my neck.

Edit: After my friend tried it out, I found out that the FX leaks sound out, most likely through the vent at the back. And the stock silicone tip is magnet for dust.

May 4, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #397 of 1,764
Thanks for your impressions @koonhua90!

e-Q7 has a protruded dot in the left side of the cable too. However to me, even in a dark room I can differenciate left/right housing of IE8. Just feel the 'pointed' corner and the 'curved' surface of the housing. At least this work for me.

At this price point I believe IEMs perform good, just difference in sound siganture.

May 4, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #398 of 1,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your impressions @koonhua90!

e-Q7 has a protruded dot in the left side of the cable too. However to me, even in a dark room I can differenciate left/right housing of IE8. Just feel the 'pointed' corner and the 'curved' surface of the housing. At least this work for me.

At this price point I believe IEMs perform good, just difference in sound siganture.

Hmm, I agree with you. Seems like the IEMs made in Japan are very well thought and designed. For me, it's always hard to find L/R on IE8 without looking at the L/R symbol. Apart from short cable, the other complain that I have is the lack of shirt clip...

I have compared the FX with the Miles Davis in a short listening session which was like an hour. Well, using the supertips on MD, the bass and treble is soaked up quite a bit, and the whole presentation on MD is more mellow. It became nearer to the IE8 kind of presentation, with laid back sound.

Personally I prefer the sparkling treble on the FX more. But when the tri flange is back on MD, then it's more or less a fair contest. Quoting my friend here, MD with triple flange is for 'psych up' listening.
Isolation on FX is below MD's. But when music plays, they are more or less on par, perhaps with the FX slightly behind. I like FX's seal in a way that I won't hear much of the echo sound inside my body whenever I move.

The mids and lower mid on FX sounded just a tad thick compare to the MD (not all the time). MD has a more upfront mid. On rare occasion, the vocals on FX sound more distant than it should have.

The bass on both FX and MD is powerful(but does not overpower the other frequencies), with heavy impact, and is very tight, well controlled. The reverb on MD is slightly longer though. Somehow I feel that MD extends a tad lower than FX, or maybe it's just that the impact is heavier on the former.

The highs on FX shines. MD is no slouch, but it's more prominent on FX. This is down to personal preference.

Soundstage on MD is kind of like the size of jazz club. While on FX it depends more on the music. One is closed can design while one is open air design, so it's up to personal preference again. Certain notes lingers longer on the MD (in a very good way), while on FX it just fades away naturally. As for imaging I have to give my nod to the FX. Compared to my IE8 and the MD, I can picture the precise location of certain instrument/notes/passage/tones with more ease.
Note: The nozzle size is different for FX-700 and MD, with the FX being bigger in diameter. Thus I could only use the stock tips with the FX, while on the MD I used the triple flange.

May 4, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #399 of 1,764
Has anyone compared the FX700 to the DBA-02 already?

May 4, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #400 of 1,764
Thx for the brief comparo w/ the MD's Koonhua90. I'm glad the MD's held their own quite well. The differences you site are actually some qualities I love about the MD's. Unless I can maintain those attributes and improve upon the rest I think I should be set for awhile. The Radius and FX700's are certainly hard to resist.

May 4, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #401 of 1,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thx for the brief comparo w/ the MD's Koonhua90. I'm glad the MD's held their own quite well. The differences you site are actually some qualities I love about the MD's. Unless I can maintain those attributes and improve upon the rest I think I should be set for awhile. The Radius and FX700's are certainly hard to resist.

I am no pro myself, but what i certainly know is that both sound really good. Perhaps those who have the FX and MD/Copper/Gold/CK10 can chime in for more impressions and opinions. I'm interested how the highs on FX fare against the high on the mighty CK-10/CK-100, and other IEMs like Yuin OK1, Panasonic HJE900, etc.

I also feel that I'm set for now, perhaps maybe till I get my earmold done for customs.

May 4, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #402 of 1,764
koonhua90-
Awesome impressions of the FX700/MD's. Very, very informative. I'd offer some of my impressions of the two, but my MD's are out for replacement by Monster, and unfortunately they're out of stock right now. I'm looking forward to hearing the differences between them for myself. I have a feeling though that I'm going to hear exactly what you described, as the treble sparkle/detail/resolution is amazing on the JVC's and feels like it's more revealing than how I remember the MD's. The level of clarity is certainly a notch above the Coppers which I'm evaluating right now.

May 4, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #403 of 1,764
Quote:

Hmm, I agree with you. Seems like the IEMs made in Japan are very well thought and designed. For me, it's always hard to find L/R on IE8 without looking at the L/R symbol. Apart from short cable, the other complain that I have is the lack of shirt clip...

I have compared the FX with the Miles Davis in a short listening session which was like an hour. Well, using the supertips on MD, the bass and treble is soaked up quite a bit, and the whole presentation on MD is more mellow. It became nearer to the IE8 kind of presentation, with laid back sound.

Personally I prefer the sparkling treble on the FX more. But when the tri flange is back on MD, then it's more or less a fair contest. Quoting my friend here, MD with triple flange is for 'psych up' listening.
Isolation on FX is below MD's. But when music plays, they are more or less on par, perhaps with the FX slightly behind. I like FX's seal in a way that I won't hear much of the echo sound inside my body whenever I move.

The mids and lower mid on FX sounded just a tad thick compare to the MD (not all the time). MD has a more upfront mid. On rare occasion, the vocals on FX sound more distant than it should have.

The bass on both FX and MD is powerful(but does not overpower the other frequencies), with heavy impact, and is very tight, well controlled. The reverb on MD is slightly longer though. Somehow I feel that MD extends a tad lower than FX, or maybe it's just that the impact is heavier on the former.

The highs on FX shines. MD is no slouch, but it's more prominent on FX. This is down to personal preference.

Soundstage on MD is kind of like the size of jazz club. While on FX it depends more on the music. One is closed can design while one is open air design, so it's up to personal preference again. Certain notes lingers longer on the MD (in a very good way), while on FX it just fades away naturally. As for imaging I have to give my nod to the FX. Compared to my IE8 and the MD, I can picture the precise location of certain instrument/notes/passage/tones with more ease.
Note: The nozzle size is different for FX-700 and MD, with the FX being bigger in diameter. Thus I could only use the stock tips with the FX, while on the MD I used the triple flange.

Koonhua90, you may find this funny, but actually I use the Monster foam supertips on the FX700, and the medium FX700 silicon on the MD. I've learned that with the supertips it can take away the treble and thicken the bass and mids if you insert too deep. But if you get just the right seal (sealing the opening of the ear canal with a slight insert), the treble shines forth marvelously through the supertips. Likewise, there is nice minute detail extension with the treble of the MDs when using the FX700 silicon. But I love the hybrid supertips on the MD also, but the FX700 silicon opens up all sound spectrums a little bit more without much fuss on the MD.

I stated this earlier, but the real magic - for me - is using the large FX700 silicon on the Ortofon e-Q7. This is by far the best tip I have found to give the IEM nice bass, nice mids, but really really extended treble. I like the Sony hybrid tip on the Orto, but they don't come close to performing as well as the FX700 large silicon tips. Just my humble opinions.

In the end, I think the FX700 and the MD complement each other quite well.

May 4, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #404 of 1,764
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericp10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Koonhua90, you may find this funny, but actually I use the Monster foam supertips on the FX700, and the medium FX700 silicon on the MD. I've learned that with the supertips it can take away the treble and thicken the bass and mids if you insert too deep. But if you get just the right seal (sealing the opening of the ear canal with a slight insert), the treble shines forth marvelously through the supertips. Likewise, there is nice minute detail extension with the treble of the MDs when using the FX700 silicon. But I love the hybrid supertips on the MD also, but the FX700 silicon opens up all sound spectrums a little bit more without much fuss on the MD.

I stated this earlier, but the real magic - for me - is using the large FX700 silicon on the Ortofon e-Q7. This is by far the best tip I have found to give the IEM nice bass, nice mids, but really really extended treble. I like the Sony hybrid tip on the Orto, but they don't come close to performing as well as the FX700 large silicon tips. Just my humble opinions.

In the end, I think the FX700 and the MD complement each other quite well.

The tip is a magnet for dust, but I use it anyway. It's stiffer than compared to the Senn's silicone tip. Perhaps that's the reason why it sounds good, as the opening is not squeezed in when inserted in the ear. Well, too bad much of the nerds and geeks in my school won't have Ortofon, I might never have a chance to try it out.

I was using the medium supertips on the MD, maybe if I had used the large ones it would be different. The foam might be more suitable for longer listening session, in my humble opinion. By the way, how did you even get the supertip to fit onto the FX? The nozzle was too big for the tips in my case.

Edit: I mentioned that I won't sell the IE8, well who knows, perhaps the Ortofon is going to replace it one day...

May 4, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #405 of 1,764
MMM? I don't recall having much of a struggle with the supertip being placed over the nozzle of the FX700. There is, however, a technique. I get the silicon core to stretch over the nozzle partially. At the same same time I'm kind of stretching the the core on the other end of the supertip with my thumb (pushing and pulling gently, if you will, at the same time). There is no perfect fit, but then i quickly take my thumb and press down somewhat forcibly onto the middle of the tip forcing it to spread over the nozzle. You have to be careful regarding force applied. I just keep pressing down until it slides over the nozzle completely. You get the supertips to stretch over that nozzle once, it's not hard to get it on again after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back