JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Mar 29, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #2,777 of 3,142
It's good to have clarification on the Denon internals, thanks for posting about the Denon.

It didn't make sense to me why soundwaves would intentionally reflect off a back wall, and attempt to pass thru or around the same driver on their exit for sound in a headphone application and maintain sonics.

Wonder why that reviewer printed that, it is misleading.
Here is a link to his review of the JVC Victor DX700, about halfway down at the construction diagram in the paragraph just below diagram he erroneously details the Denon.

http://www.lowridingaudiophile.blogspot.com/2015/06/the-jvc-dx700-is-ridiculous-headphone.html

"Very misleading" is putting it nicely. :xf_eek:

The Denon/Fostex enclosures are not "entirely undamped" either - they have a fiberglass-like material in the cup similar to what some Audio-Technica headphones have, and the back of the driver is ported (there's also a foam ring on the front side). There are more aggressive "damping" mods (e.g. MarkL) for that frame (you can go look up the Fitz ATH-W5000 to see a similar idea done with an Audio-Technica) which add dynamat and other materials to better cover the interior; whether or not you like it is up to you.

Here's a video of the D2000 being taken apart:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbnTewPxoZU

Couldn't find one for the D5000/7000 or TH-900, but the concept is essentially the same, but with higher quality parts. If you're after doing this yourself, those small screws and the swivel joints are the most common points of failure for this platform, so be careful there.

The DX1000 and its family are not related to the Fostex/Denon/E-MU/Creative headphones either. Not sure why he's saying that.

As far as drivers trying to send sound through another driver, when I built my isobarik headphones just listening on the "outer" drivers was fairly muffled in the upper registers and I attribute that largely to the sound having to go thru another driver and its mounting hardware before coming to your ear - like holding your hand over a speaker or somesuch. I can't imagine having a driver backwards would be any better, and I suspect it would be worse since you'd have the driver's anti-phase backwave coming at your ear directly, and the in-phase output would be bouncing off the cup before you got it (ofc you could wire them out of phase to fix that, so the backwave is in-phase, but even then I honestly cannot see where this would ever be "better" than using the driver the way it was designed to be used).

Mar 29, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #2,778 of 3,142
All good points, agree completely.

Cool info about the Denon and internal tuning.

A lot of material in that review is just bad.

Will probably look for a set of used DX1000.

Embarking on the isobarik project must have been fun !

Mar 31, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #2,779 of 3,142
All good points, agree completely.

Cool info about the Denon and internal tuning.

A lot of material in that review is just bad.

Will probably look for a set of used DX1000.

Embarking on the isobarik project must have been fun !

I'd absolutely +1 trying the DX1000, and not just because this is the appreciation thread. They're really something special, sonically, imho, and being comfortable and isolating well is just the icing on the cake. They also don't seem terribly hard to drive, but they're maybe a bit pickier about amp pairing than my TH-900 and W5000 (which is to say, not bad, but give it at least a little thought) - IMO a brighter/more forward amp is beneficial, but there are other folks who will probably disagree, and I'd say listen to their argument as well and go with whatever seems more aligned with your own tastes.

The isobarik project was...interesting. I honestly didn't go into it expecting anything great, and the end result was at least listenable, if fairly uncomfortable, and I haven't pursued anything more refined since then. I'm not sure it would be economically worthwhile to pursue with a higher-end set of cans, since you're already dealing with (generally/hopefully) very low distortion, and very well behaved drivers in appropriately designed enclosures.

Apr 24, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #2,780 of 3,142
I reaallllly like this DX1000. I remember the DX700 sounding more cavernous and less clear than this. Also I was expecting the midrange to be more out of balance. I really have no complaints minus the channel imbalance I have with the right side. These headphones are my preference over just about every closed back headphone I have had to date. Wasnt expecting to like them so much. 
Listening to Robert Glasper Experiment is a real treat. 

Apr 24, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #2,781 of 3,142
  I reaallllly like this DX1000. I remember the DX700 sounding more cavernous and less clear than this. Also I was expecting the midrange to be more out of balance. I really have no complaints minus the channel imbalance I have with the right side. These headphones are my preference over just about every closed back headphone I have had to date. Wasnt expecting to like them so much. 

Did you get the driver fixed?

Apr 24, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #2,782 of 3,142

Did you get the driver fixed?

So I haven't heard it prior to the driver failure and just went off of what the cable modder said. However, I can easily hear its potential even if just one driver has less bass. I freakin love this headphone. 

Actually its not a driver failure. Its an imbalance of bass.

Apr 27, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #2,783 of 3,142
has anyone tried the dx1000 with the teac a-h500 integrated amplifier? supposedly its headphone output is very good. i'm just not sure if it would be a good match for the dx1000... the headphone output  has an impedance of 390 Ohm. 

May 4, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #2,784 of 3,142
This has to be to good to be true. Selling for $207 new on amazon now: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000A7IAY6/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

*edit: I'm gullible and stupid, took the plunge. If its a fake, I'll go through amazon customer support. If its real, I'll sell my th-X00, my O2, and my ODAC and buy a idsd too. 
biggrin.gif

*edit 2: They canceled the order, evidently it was a listing error. Aw well, maybe next time.

May 10, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #2,787 of 3,142
I'm hoping someone can please give me a brief comparison of the the fx850 and fx1100 with the dx1000.

I have always dreamed of getting the dx1000, but I already own the SZ2000 and am enormously pleased with them. I'm hoping to hear that the fx850 is an awesome alternative to the dx1000 despite being iem vs over ear and especially since it is ~1/3 the price.  Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

May 10, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #2,788 of 3,142
Sad to say there is now only one dx700 on amazon listed for $1700...
frown.gif

The situation is not that bad but the price is still exorbitant...

http://www.amazon.co.jp/JVC%E3%82%B1%E3%83%B3%E3%82%A6%E3%83%83%E3%83%89-HP-DX700-JVC-%E5%AF%86%E9%96%89%E5%9E%8B%E3%83%98%E3%83%83%E3%83%89%E3%83%9B%E3%83%B3/dp/B001S1CAXK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1462920825&sr=1-1&keywords=jvc+dx700

May 10, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #2,789 of 3,142

That's a good point, didn't think to check the Asian versions of amazon. But the us version is definitely only getting me one hit for $1715.30. Glad to see the dx1000 is still around $650 though. Though I've never heard them, I feel like they'll be a once in a lifetime opportunity for me, one that can't be missed. Sadly they are much too expensive for me for now. I can only hope the price remains constant or drops until December when Santa (me) may deliver them to me. Really hoping to get some feedback on the fx850 though as I don't currently own any iems and would love to get some for hiking and biking. ...if they'll stay put. And luckily they'll be small enough to hide from my pseudo wife who thinks audio doesn't get any better than her $5 jvc earbuds. :D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001S1CAXK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1462924143&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=jvc+dx700&dpPl=1&dpID=31ySHArkUpL&ref=plSrch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back