JVC harx700 - a poor mans ath-a900!!
Apr 30, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #200 of 227
The jvc's don't have or advertise a 'surround sound' effect at all. They are standard headphones.

I've used them for a couple of months now, and while i enjoy them, I find the hype behind this pair of headphones to be just that: hype. They are a solid value at $35, but they are never going to 'wow' you in any one area. They're not even going to impress you as a top-tier neutral headphone. 

These are relatively neutral headphones with a little bit of extra bass. I wish they were a bit cleaner, as surprisingly, there is noticeable sibilance on occasion, even though the treble seems slightly rolled off. Also, the bass can be slightly distorted, which is odd, since I listen at low volumes. These headphones can also highlight recording flaws excessively, which again, is odd, since they don't seem to emphasize any part of the audio spectrum unduly. 

These are a nice pair of starter audiophile headphones, which have a nice sound overall, but which will bite you with obvious distortion, even at low volumes. 

As far as soundstage, it's not terribly impressive. I'd say it's average. If you want the best sound quality, you'll want to go with an open design.

Apr 30, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #202 of 227
I know the sound of the JVC's aren't the best but I have a low budget now. Most people say that they have great sound and comfort for gaming and multimedia. I'm planning on getting Sennheiser PC 360's once I start working. I'm going to use the JVC's with a Zalman for the next few months until I have the money.

Apr 30, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #203 of 227
Quote:
The jvc's don't have or advertise a 'surround sound' effect at all. They are standard headphones.

I've used them for a couple of months now, and while i enjoy them, I find the hype behind this pair of headphones to be just that: hype. They are a solid value at $35, but they are never going to 'wow' you in any one area. They're not even going to impress you as a top-tier neutral headphone. 

These are relatively neutral headphones with a little bit of extra bass. I wish they were a bit cleaner, as surprisingly, there is noticeable sibilance on occasion, even though the treble seems slightly rolled off. Also, the bass can be slightly distorted, which is odd, since I listen at low volumes. These headphones can also highlight recording flaws excessively, which again, is odd, since they don't seem to emphasize any part of the audio spectrum unduly. 

These are a nice pair of starter audiophile headphones, which have a nice sound overall, but which will bite you with obvious distortion, even at low volumes. 

As far as soundstage, it's not terribly impressive. I'd say it's average. If you want the best sound quality, you'll want to go with an open design.

sibilance? yeah sounds something like stock rx700. and they do improve with amping believe it or not.

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #204 of 227
Quote:
sibilance? yeah sounds something like stock rx700. and they do improve with amping believe it or not.

No doubt. A fiio E6 has helped noticeably, in all areas. An amp won't transform your headphones into something they're not, but they will go a long way towards bringing out their full potential. 

I tried the foam mod also, but that actually had a negative impact on sound quality, more or less destroying bass response. 

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #206 of 227
Yeah, they're $35 headphones -- not LCD3s. Just keep that in mind. But I'd say, if you don't have several hundred dollars at the moment, you could do a hell of a lot worse. There's a foam mod in which you add extra foam under the ear cushions (which I also found toned down the bass a little (which I preferred as the stock bass seemed a little aggressive for my taste)).

The open mod really opened up the soundstage -- and seemed to smooth things out and bring out detail. As far as comfort, I have yet to find a more comfortable pair. And, yeah, I've found they benefit from an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back