JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jun 22, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #2,222 of 4,826
Just got them today, you're right HBB, the pads are total crap, I never really cared much for my ears against drivers of headphones but god mine is literally all up on it that it annoys me, hope my mx55 headphones ship in soon so I can change them ASAP...

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #2,223 of 4,826
  Just got them today, you're right HBB, the pads are total crap, I never really cared much for my ears against drivers of headphones but god mine is literally all up on it that it annoys me, hope my mx55 headphones ship in soon so I can change them ASAP...

Stock pads are horrific ....but easy as hell to change.

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #2,224 of 4,826
What's up all. So I'm in a situation here...I just bought some amazing Oppo PM-3's...but I may need to return them and recoup my losses for some hospital bills that just cropped up. 

I'm planning on selling my HE-400's because where my family and I live now leaves me in no position to truly enjoy an open-backed headphone any further. The PM-3's amazed me with their small size and big sound (for their size), and I have grown to love planar phones, but it seems I am not gonna be able to stay in that arena. 

I've been reading this thread and a few of the reviews out there...I've also gone through several pairs of JVC earbuds with the cft drivers, most notably the HAFX40B that I've really really enjoyed for outdoor, bicycling, college, etc.

I still consider myself a basshead, but not all-out...especially after a couple years with my HE-400's letting me enjoy clarity and seperation with some deep reaching bass that can really shake your eardrums. I'll really miss those phones.

I also have some modded JVC HA-RX700's from last decade that I just replaced the pads on with some HM5 pleathers, which are pretty damn comfy. Those still sound surprsingly good too and took a long time to sound that way iirc...they launched me into this arena thanks to folks like ourfpshero and Graphicism. :D

I also own some Denon D2000's and JVC HA-DX3's.

Regardless, I am interested in dumping $200 into some SZx000 series, and likely the 2000's, and adding to my JVC collection as they have treated me quite well overall on value. Though I'm still reading to see what the differences between 1000 and 2000 are. I am not worried about having to break them in. But I have a few questions I'll ask now and continue searching for, I apologize for my ignorance in advance.

• What is the primary differences between the SZ1000 and 2000, beyond price?
  • I enjoy clear mids and hi's (slightly rolled off) with deep and impactful bass, and am using an Aune T1 at my desk for this task, will that handle the task? I hope it can...it drives my HE-400's with the middle db boost more than loud enough....
    • I also have a Denon AVR-1613 that is doing living room duties that has a great HP output.
    • I also have an Auzen X-Fi Forte sound card no longer in use, as its driver issues and resource hogging finally did me in. But it does have a decent HP output on the rear and front outputs, though I believe the T1 and Denon are MUCH more powerful...
  • I listen primarily to rock, metal, new and old, so speed and clarity are a big deal...will these handle the task?
    •  Note: Maybe I'm less picky, but almost all sets of bassy phones I've purchased were said to not really be good for rock or metal, but to me they turned out pretty good...the PM-3's have the speed, but the HE-400's really shine with speed and separation but at the cost if piercing highs...the D2000s can do it albiet laid back, and the JVC's pretty much take whatever I through at them and sound decent...the DX3's have more highs, the 700's really sound very good for their (still!!) $33 cost, blows me away, and with the HM5 pads they truly are comfy.
  • What are the best pads for comfort that don't cost $100?
    • The HM5's were really a stretch on the RX700's, one side actually tore a little.
    • Someone in the RX700 pad replacement thread is using these: 

Sorry for the long post...I am reading through this thread with great interest and hoping this will be the answer to the questions the PM-3 couldn't answer. I could pay off my initial bills, and am selling my HE-400's which would cover most of the cost of the SZ2000's + pads + S/H. I'm hoping I'm barking up the right tree for a good sounding, bassy but clear, closed-back can that is also comfortable and fits my restricted budget. Thanks in advance! And yes I'll be reading this thread, I'm up in the 40's.

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #2,226 of 4,826
How about I swap you my SZ2000 with Brainwavz pads and mint condition for the HE400.

I may be interestedin that trade and it'd he less work than selling. Mine comes with extra OEM pads in pleatger and velour...original pads still in great shape. Gonna be tough to let em go.

How long has your set been broken in for? I'm hoping these will suit my needs.

Jun 25, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #2,229 of 4,826
Alright I changed the pads, the bass is destructive and was working perfectly fine, but now I have one problem, I honestly don't know what happened but it feels like one side has more bass or atleast vibration? I tried them and it was fine and when I got back home from work to listen more, now i notice that my left side is a bit more dominant in impact. Can anyone explain why? If it helps, I use the fiio e11 as I said before and I had massive hiss from it since I turn it up to 100% for my massive bass output. and when the wire I used before was wearing it out so it distorted alot and only played through left side only time to time, did that affect my right side to play lower than normal or is it the fiio e11 itself and I need to change amps?

Jun 25, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #2,230 of 4,826
  Alright I changed the pads, the bass is destructive and was working perfectly fine, but now I have one problem, I honestly don't know what happened but it feels like one side has more bass or atleast vibration? I tried them and it was fine and when I got back home from work to listen more, now i notice that my left side is a bit more dominant in impact. Can anyone explain why? If it helps, I use the fiio e11 as I said before and I had massive hiss from it since I turn it up to 100% for my massive bass output. and when the wire I used before was wearing it out so it distorted alot and only played through left side only time to time, did that affect my right side to play lower than normal or is it the fiio e11 itself and I need to change amps?

The channel imbalance....IDK? Try different tracks. If you listen at levels like I do which is a max of 3 tracks before ear ringing...it could be your hearing. Seriously. Could be a wire but if you listen at basshead level bass like in the test vids it might be your hearing. I have thought one channel was dominant and then next time all was fine
blink.gif

The hiss .. something is adding noise either your source or amp. If your PC is the source it's probably right there. I don't have experience with the e11

Jun 26, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #2,233 of 4,826
I just received mine from Amazon. I didn't have the time to test them with my amped setup. I also did not have time to switch pads as recommended. I have HM5, 55x, Alpha Pads...I only had time to unbox and test with my iPhone 6 Plus with the stock pads. I was still impressed with what I've heard so far. I could see why some people might be digging these and some might not. The soundstage is HUGE! I expect it to close in with a better sealing pad, but regardless, I'm excited to test these out with my setup and the new pads in the next few days. I also picked up this from Amazon...a headband cushion I have applied for some of my other heavy/hefty headphones. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00862522A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #2,234 of 4,826
  I just received mine from Amazon. I didn't have the time to test them with my amped setup. I also did not have time to switch pads as recommended. I have HM5, 55x, Alpha Pads...I only had time to unbox and test with my iPhone 6 Plus with the stock pads. I was still impressed with what I've heard so far. I could see why some people might be digging these and some might not. The soundstage is HUGE! I expect it to close in with a better sealing pad, but regardless, I'm excited to test these out with my setup and the new pads in the next few days. I also picked up this from Amazon...a headband cushion I have applied for some of my other heavy/hefty headphones. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00862522A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

I remember you.
We were doing Fight Club ( I know...1st rule about ***** ****.....) via keyboard.

These will (55x pads in vid) go to crazy bass levels with amp and a sub bass boost. The chambered 55mm driver makes these require energy to dig up the slam while many cans come pre tuned with elevated bass. These have recessed sub-bass but can eat 20dB of boosting down there.
 Re: ***** ****

I forget what it was about but accept my apology. My fingers went gangster and were thugging all over the keyboard
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #2,235 of 4,826

I remember you.
We were doing Fight Club ( I know...1st rule about ***** ****.....) via keyboard.

These will (55x pads in vid) go to crazy bass levels with amp and a sub bass boost. The chambered 55mm driver makes these require energy to dig up the slam while many cans come pre tuned with elevated bass. These have recessed sub-bass but can eat 20dB of boosting down there.
 Re: ***** ****

I forget what it was about but accept my apology. My fingers went gangster and were thugging all over the keyboard
biggrin.gif

After reading every page of this thread, I have to say HBB, you have had great persuasion in my purchase of the SZ2000's. I apologize as well, but we both know that it was not serious. I did not know you were this invested in basshead territory, and will gladly respect your knowledge. 

So, after now placing the alpha pads on, I get a nice cushy feel. Everyone should experience what these pads feel/sound like. The bass on the SZ2000 (right now) is WiLD and can distort. I hope to hear the bass settle over continuous usage and time. I don't hear alot of clarity, but wasn't really expecting this. If the bass can clean up (just a little bit) I will be very happy. These are keepers regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back