JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread
Jun 12, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #2,208 of 4,826
Good news for me, FiiO has a sweet customer service system and just told me to send it to them and they''ll replace my busted E12 ^^ Soon able to play music with my 1Ks again :)

Jun 14, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #2,209 of 4,826
SZ1000 VS. DARTH BEYER -
I recently got a Darth Beyer (Beyerdynamic dt770 pro with large wood cups), these are bass monsters so the comparison had to be made!

disclaimer- EQ was used a lot, the Beyer is well broken in, the JVC has maybe 100 hrs at most. 

Portability :)
haha- neither one is very portable and both take power to drive....

Clarity
The Beyer wins on clarity, has a much smoother sound all the way through the spectrum, though some may prefer the JVC's rawness and immediacy.

Soundstage
Pretty close, both have a medium size stage

Highs. 
The Beyer has more clarity on highs, BUT the JVC reaches higher

Mids.
Pretty close, again, more clarity on the Beyers, but the JVC give more prominence to vocals, both male and female.

BASS!!!
The Darth Beyer- lives up to its rep-it does give lovely, textured bass and digs very deep, exactly what you would expect from the big beautiful wood cups. However, they will distort and clip at higher volumes. 
The SZ1000- we all know the bass level these are capable of, and as the volume goes up and power is applied, these leave the Beyers in the dust!!!

The JVC simply has bigger slam and power handling capability. The King is dead, long live the King....(couldn't resist :) )

Jun 14, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #2,210 of 4,826
  SZ1000 VS. DARTH BEYER -
I recently got a Darth Beyer (Beyerdynamic dt770 pro with large wood cups), these are bass monsters so the comparison had to be made!

disclaimer- EQ was used a lot, the Beyer is well broken in, the JVC has maybe 100 hrs at most. 

Portability :)
haha- neither one is very portable and both take power to drive....

Clarity
The Beyer wins on clarity, has a much smoother sound all the way through the spectrum, though some may prefer the JVC's rawness and immediacy.

Soundstage
Pretty close, both have a medium size stage

Highs. 
The Beyer has more clarity on highs, BUT the JVC reaches higher

Mids.
Pretty close, again, more clarity on the Beyers, but the JVC give more prominence to vocals, both male and female.

BASS!!!
The Darth Beyer- lives up to its rep-it does give lovely, textured bass and digs very deep, exactly what you would expect from the big beautiful wood cups. However, they will distort and clip at higher volumes. 
The SZ1000- we all know the bass level these are capable of, and as the volume goes up and power is applied, these leave the Beyers in the dust!!!

The JVC simply has bigger slam and power handling capability. The King is dead, long live the King....(couldn't resist :) )

Nice!
 Beautiful cans for the refined listening moments we all enjoy.
 I wish the SZ had a cool named modded variant.

Jun 14, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #2,211 of 4,826

Nice!
 Beautiful cans for the refined listening moments we all enjoy.
 I wish the SZ had a cool named modded variant.

Hah-we need to make one!

I don't know if I mentioned this previously- In modding my JVC rx700, I discovered that lining the cup with metal pipe tape brings up the highs like a metal cup headphone, and using thermal insulating tape adds more thump to the lows (like using Dynamat, but much easier and less $$)
Do we have complete diassembly pics?

Jun 14, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #2,212 of 4,826
  Hah-we need to make one!

I don't know if I mentioned this previously- In modding my JVC rx700, I discovered that lining the cup with metal pipe tape brings up the highs like a metal cup headphone, and using thermal insulating tape adds more thump to the lows (like using Dynamat, but much easier and less $$)
Do we have complete diassembly pics?

Used pipe aluminum tape on the 77x and it came out great.

There are some semi dissasembled pics in here somewhere...just semi though.

Jun 14, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #2,213 of 4,826
Ok -I tried some tape mods- its a little difficult as these headphones are chambered and vented already, JVC put some thought into these!
Anyway, Isettled on a little thermal tape on outside cup, it helped control vibration a little, also did some metal tape inside main driver chamber, helped highs come out a little. Adding metal tape to outside chamber did nothing. Overall these mods made the headphones seem slightly louder, I supposed a lot more material could affect the sound more.

Jun 14, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #2,214 of 4,826
I also tried some Shure 840 pads backed by plastic tubing- it made the bass slightly deeper

Jun 14, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #2,215 of 4,826
  Ok -I tried some tape mods- its a little difficult as these headphones are chambered and vented already, JVC put some thought into these!
Anyway, Isettled on a little thermal tape on outside cup, it helped control vibration a little, also did some metal tape inside main driver chamber, helped highs come out a little. Adding metal tape to outside chamber did nothing. Overall these mods made the headphones seem slightly louder, I supposed a lot more material could affect the sound more.

Nice pics! Love the shot of the bass lens (sponge) behind the sub driver. I might try this
beerchug.gif

Jun 20, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #2,216 of 4,826
I'm so spoiled. I see these (and the SZ2000) as lower-end headphones, price-wise.

I don't see these as terribly expensive either, but I think they're a good place to start. I live in Singapore where everything is more than you'll ever want to spend. The 1000's are S$339 and the 2000's are S$469. Converted to US dollars that's roughly $250 and $$360 respectively. I actually only tried these because I was in a store trying the Audio Techinica MSR7. I didn't like them due to the lower end seemingly all but present. Saw the 1000's on a shelf and tried them. Love at first note. Also I'm not ready to spend HD800 type of money on headphones. Yet.

Change those pads, amp the **** out of em and feed em lots of sub-bass via eq and you'll never let em' go.
You will still fall down that ******* rabbit hole but you'll always have these if you set em up right.:wink:

What pads do you recommend? I'm looking at Brainwavz Thickpads right now. I like the pads on the 1000's now, but they don't have enough support and my ears touch the inner liners of the pads ( not sure of the technical term of that part).

Also, I'm looking into getting a FIIO X1 to start off with. A coworker let me try his FIIO USB DAC&. I could hear a difference, but I don't like the idea of using 2 devices while travelling (DAC and phone) for music.

Jun 20, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #2,217 of 4,826
I don't see these as terribly expensive either, but I think they're a good place to start. I live in Singapore where everything is more than you'll ever want to spend. The 1000's are S$339 and the 2000's are S$469. Converted to US dollars that's roughly $250 and $$360 respectively. I actually only tried these because I was in a store trying the Audio Techinica MSR7. I didn't like them due to the lower end seemingly all but present. Saw the 1000's on a shelf and tried them. Love at first note. Also I'm not ready to spend HD800 type of money on headphones. Yet.
What pads do you recommend? I'm looking at Brainwavz Thickpads right now. I like the pads on the 1000's now, but they don't have enough support and my ears touch the inner liners of the pads ( not sure of the technical term of that part).

Also, I'm looking into getting a FIIO X1 to start off with. A coworker let me try his FIIO USB DAC&. I could hear a difference, but I don't like the idea of using 2 devices while travelling (DAC and phone) for music.

The brainwavez you're looking at are great. In the future when you give them more power they will probably be more enjoyable....or that's the basshead in me projecting on you
biggrin.gif

Enjoy!!

Jun 21, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #2,218 of 4,826
I have bought a pair of,these babies from another head fier and I can get a pad change soon but the amp I have is an e11, do I need to upgrade to an e12? I can in the future of my bass craves for it but I have small ears so I won't think I need a stock pad change depending on my first impressions on first day. But if the pad changes are needed I can get some 55x pads or hifiman. Will changing from stock to them increase the bass impact?

Jun 21, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #2,219 of 4,826
I have bought a pair of,these babies from another head fier and I can get a pad change soon but the amp I have is an e11, do I need to upgrade to an e12? I can in the future of my bass craves for it but I have small ears so I won't think I need a stock pad change depending on my first impressions on first day. But if the pad changes are needed I can get some 55x pads or hifiman. Will changing from stock to them increase the bass impact?

The 55x are best for shaking your head while the others will make them very comfy. It's a personal choice but the 55x are pure basshead. I don't have experience with the e11 so I cannot speak to that.

Jun 21, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #2,220 of 4,826
Alright thank you for the quick reply, 55x pads here I come! :wink: I always adore a head massage. I will come back to the thread and see how the sz2000 are paired with my e11, if I'm not satisfied I will put in a updgrade for e12 as I know their pair are superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back