JVC HA-FX850 iem. Woody
Feb 26, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #77 of 578
Are you going to pick one or more up? Would really like to read some hands on impressions of them, especially from previous fx700 users. Also looking forward to james444 thoughts.

I only want the FX850. As much as loved the FX700 I couldn't stand the recessed mids. I kind of trust mochill's assessment that the mids are that recessed (if at all) in the FX850.....

I have a feeling the FX750 will be more recessed and not enough bass in the FX650. Just one for me fellas.

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #78 of 578

Here Here!! Cheers to eric getting all 3.

take one for the team Eric and get all 3.  Inquiring minds need to know.

basshead.gif
 QUITTING THE TEAM (too much pressure! ....lol)  ------------------------------------------------->

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #82 of 578
  Just got these. Too early to say much about sound, but from memory they do have more mids than FX700. Still quite a significant bass/mid-bass bump, maybe even more than FX700. Highs seem roughly the same, if a tad recessed compared to FX700 but extending very well. Same kind of timbre overall.

Build quality is excellent, as one would expect. Cable is great, continuing JVC tradition - solid and thick, yet flexible and without microphonics. Reminds me of FXZ200. I like the idea of replaceable cable, although I wish they made the plug terminations smaller. As a side note, I have an aftermarket Shure-type cable which fits FX850 but falls off quite easily (although I don't have any issues using it with XBA-H3).

They are heavy and big, but well designed and fit my ears well (but then I did not have any issues with FXZ200 and XBA-H3, so I'm probably not a reference
smile.gif
).

MOchill said that it's a lot more neutral than the fx700. Could you confirm? Is the bass level toned down? Is it still a bass-head IEM?

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #83 of 578
Are you going to pick one or more up? Would really like to read some hands on impressions of them, especially from previous fx700 users. Also looking forward to james444 thoughts.

Damn. Feeling a bit nostalgic. I was introduced to this board with the likes of shotgunshane, jamess444, and ericp10 talking up the jvc ha-fx700. Now we are coming full circle. I really hope I can resist these. Put my money on the Aurisonics Rockets and the Yamaha HPH-200. If mochill isn't screwing around, I may have to put up some money for these.

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #86 of 578
Axismundi: how does it compare to ie800?

Based on preliminary impressions, (much) more bass/mid-bass impact, with a comment that as FX700, FX850 does go low but not as low as IE800. Mids are more recessed, but at this stage I'd not venture to say more. Highs are very competent on FX850, however they do not extend as much as IE800 (which is uneatable in this respect) but then they are also not piercing, which is quite a performance given the clarity that they are able to render.

FX850 seem to have retained the famous FX700 timbre and is a good all-rounder, if a bit bass-heavy to my ears. IE800 on the other hand is hard to beat when it comes to clarity and mids, although overdoes the highs and this sound a bit unnatural at times. To be able to truly enjoy IE800, I need to eq down the highs (around 10KHz), for FX850 it is the mid bass that has to be adjusted (120 Hz or so).

It may or may not make a difference, but keep in mind that this is before break in (or "burn in").

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #87 of 578

MOchill said that it's a lot more neutral than the fx700. Could you confirm? Is the bass level toned down? Is it still a bass-head IEM?

As I have already mentioned, it is bass heavy and to my ears bass is even more prominent than it was in the case of FX700. But do take this with a grain of salt, I'm talking from memory.

I guess it could be considered in a way more neutral than FX700 given that mids seem less recessed. But assessing the mids is not so straight-forward in my opinion, I need more time and I need to listen to more genres before concluding. Also, be advised that I never had an issue with FX700 - yes, mids were somehow recessed but still very competent and vocal music sounded great.

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #88 of 578
  Based on preliminary impressions, (much) more bass/mid-bass impact, with a comment that as FX700, FX850 does go low but not as low as IE800. Mids are more recessed, but at this stage I'd not venture to say more. Highs are very competent on FX850, however they do not extend as much as IE800 (which is uneatable in this respect) but then they are also not piercing, which is quite a performance given the clarity that they are able to render.

FX850 seem to have retained the famous FX700 timbre and is a good all-rounder, if a bit bass-heavy to my ears. IE800 on the other hand is hard to beat when it comes to clarity and mids, although overdoes the highs and this sound a bit unnatural at times. To be able to truly enjoy IE800, I need to eq down the highs (around 10KHz), for FX850 it is the mid bass that has to be adjusted (120 Hz or so).

It may or may not make a difference, but keep in mind that this is before break in (or "burn in").

Can you please compare FX850 to IE80?

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #89 of 578

The game has changed, but then again not so much imo. Dynamic drivers and (multi-) BAs are still apples and oranges to my ears. I know we have a myriad of options among the latter nowadays and they have undeniable technical advantages. But when it comes to natural tonality, particularly with classical music, I still find myself reaching for a DD based (or at least hybrid) pair of IEMs 9 out of 10 times.

I'm pretty confident the 850 will continue JVC's tradition of first rate timbre, just hope that they went easy on the bass with these.

+10
I'm a great fan of dynamic drivers, more coherent and natural sound... music to my ears...
Oh man... those woodies are so tempting 
confused_face.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #90 of 578
  Can you please compare FX850 to IE80?

I'd like to but I can't, I've never listened to IE80.

To be nasty and go a bit off-topic, I should say I never bothered trying IE80 after having briefly auditioned IE8, I couldn't simply put with their lack of highs and bloated mid-bass. In my mind I had written off Sennheiser IEMs for a long time, and that's why IE800 truly took me by surprise when I finally tried them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back