JVC HA-FX850 iem. Woody
Feb 15, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #31 of 578
I cant decide whether to go for some Sennheiser IE80 for £155 (Amazon.de) or wait and try the FX850?

My current IEMs are the Hippo VB, any initial suggestions on which I should pick?

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #33 of 578
^ What do / don't you like about your Hippo VBs?

Good question; I love the deep brain rattling sub-bass and the hard punch, all using the bassiest screw. I like the soundstage and the highs to some extent

Given the Hippo is often described as V-shaped, just as the JVC FX700 thats how Ive concluded the FX850 may be for me.

I listen only to house and techno and whilst many people say the IE80 is great on EDM, freq response graphs on goldenears show an absolute neutrality of sub-bass but a hump on mid-bass.

Im effectively looking for Hippo VB version 2.0 - same big bass but a step up in clarity/resolution, build quality and that feeling of a true upgrade.

Feb 15, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #34 of 578
The Hippo VB have more sub-bass than both the IE80 and FX700, which are rather mid-bass emphasized. Actually, the older FX500/FX1000 sounded more similar to the Hippos.

AFAIK no one has heard the FX850 yet. But I'll post a comparison to the FX700 when I get them.

Feb 15, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #35 of 578
The Hippo VB have more sub-bass than both the IE80 and FX700, which are rather mid-bass emphasized. Actually, the older FX500/FX1000 sounded more similar to the Hippos.

AFAIK no one has heard the FX850 yet. But I'll post a comparison to the FX700 when I get them.

Thank you, finally someone who clearly knows the bass that the Hippo put out. Mentioned options aside, is there any other higher end IEMs that have the Hippo sound?

I understand I may need to sacrifice some low end in order for better clarity. Catch 22.

Feb 15, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #36 of 578
Thank you, finally someone who clearly knows the bass that the Hippo put out. Mentioned options aside, is there any other higher end IEMs that have the Hippo sound?

I understand I may need to sacrifice some low end in order for better clarity. Catch 22.

The IE800 are more sub-bass focused than the IE80 and FX700 and have excellent detail and clarity. But I personally think that their micro-drivers convey less authority (for lack of a better term) than larger dynamic drivers.

Speaking of which, I think you might like the Sony XBA-H3. They have A LOT of bass authority, and even though they're slightly more mid-bassy than the Hippos, they have great low end extension and very good mids and treble detail / clarity due to their balanced armatures. They're a prime example of high-end basshead IEMs imo, if such a thing exists.

Feb 15, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #38 of 578
I have owned the previous woody IEMs from JVC. One major problem is that the bass gets so overwhelming and the soundstage is rather distorted. I listen to classical music mostly, thus with an overwhelming emphasis on the right bars me from really loving them.

Would like to see if this is less of a problem in the newcomers in this series. Would also like to see a comparison between these and Ocharaku Donguri
dt880smile.png

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #44 of 578
Looking forward to the impressions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back