JVC HA-FX850 iem. Woody
Apr 12, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #211 of 578
  Here is a pic (source: google) showing the 3 models side by side (FX850/FX750/FX650)

Here's another one...
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #215 of 578
You know she is wearing six JVC stickers - I want to see the other four...
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 13, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #216 of 578
Wonder whats up with the considerable size difference, but man I want the 750s price to go back down SO I CAN ORDER! 

Apr 13, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #217 of 578

1. FX750 are very close to FX850 in resolution and refinement.

Update on FX750 vs. FX850, after prolonged listening:

1. Both are overall at the same sound quality level, but sound signatures are slightly different.
  2. Most notable difference: FX750 have more mid/upper bass emphasis, FX850 are more linear throughout the bass range.
  3. FX750 have more lower mids warmth, making vocals sound slightly darker than on the FX850.
  4. FX850 have more upper mids presence, making (female) vocals sound slightly more in-your-face than on the FX750.
  5. Cymbals sound slightly more fleshed-out on the FX750, possibly due to more emphasis in that range or as a side-effect of less forward upper mids.

Apart from their unfortunate bass exaggeration (which needs to be taken care of by mod or EQ), I can't stress enough the outstanding realism of both IEMs with acoustic instruments and vocals. They show the limitations even of much more expensive phones in that regard.
smile_phones.gif

Apr 14, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #220 of 578
  Apart from their unfortunate bass exaggeration (which needs to be taken care of by mod or EQ), I can't stress enough the outstanding realism of both IEMs with acoustic instruments and vocals. They show the limitations even of much more expensive phones in that regard.
smile_phones.gif

thanks James for clarification ..

can you describe how is the sound 3D'ness on both fx750/850? i.e.
- vocal is placed in center, surrounded by instruments
- or in-your-face type of vocal, instruments are placed in background.
- how about bass placement?

Apr 14, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #222 of 578
How does it compare with the JVC HA-FXZ100/200?

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #223 of 578

thanks James for clarification ..

can you describe how is the sound 3D'ness on both fx750/850? i.e.
- vocal is placed in center, surrounded by instruments
- or in-your-face type of vocal, instruments are placed in background.
- how about bass placement?

Disclaimer: note that soundstage perception is known to vary significantly among listeners. That said, both JVCs are heavily vented and sound very open to my ears. Soundstage has above average width and height with a strong center image. Dynamics and depth are excellent, but there's only little forward projection and sense of distance due to rather forward/intimate vocals, particularly on the FX850 (slightly more on the FX750).

On stock tuning, bass spoils the otherwise very nice 3D layering, because it seems to play overly dominant in front of all other instruments. But once tuned down, it will pretty much fall into its intended place.

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #224 of 578
Got one pair for office use, together with Meridian Explorer which I've been using together w/ my OMX980. These are definitely for lookers and holders, beautifully made with very solid feel in hands and eyes. They sound excellent with AK120, fantastic with the Explorer. As James suggested above, I tuned down the bass (100-130hz) a bit in foobar, the sound is really great! They fit my ears perfectly, and very easy to put in, best of all, they just stay there even w very shallow insertion.

I think I finally found the perfect setup for office use: great open sounding IEMs which don't block the environment sound entirely (so I can still hear my colleagues when they talk to me, of course I'd take them out when I'm listening and talking) while still produces excellent sound which won't be affected too much by the ambient noise, and they won't mess up my hairs like headphones do :p

Apr 15, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #225 of 578

Disclaimer: note that soundstage perception is known to vary significantly among listeners. That said, both JVCs are heavily vented and sound very open to my ears. Soundstage has above average width and height with a strong center image. Dynamics and depth are excellent, but there's only little forward projection and sense of distance due to rather forward/intimate vocals, particularly on the FX850 (slightly more on the FX750).

Hi James, did you have a chance to audition the fxz200 yourself? I really like its 3D layering sound which vocal is projected in the depth center and instruments shine beautifully in surrounding space. Which of those fx850/fx750/fx700 are closer to the 200 regarding this aspect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back