JVC HA-FW01 - The New Top End Wood Driver IEM (2017)
Feb 22, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #136 of 780
Sorry if I missed it, but would you put the FW01 in the same league as the FI-BA-SS?

Not even close in my opinion. FW01 sounds veiled compared to FI-BA-SS (both driven with AK240 and sometimes Opus #2 which had sufficient power to drive it) If you are the type going for bass and soundstage then FW01 works well with you. If you are those who listen mainly to female vocals like me, you will find the wide soundstage makes the vocals very messy and lack focus.
I considered for female vocals, my favorite iems for all time are still FI-BA-SS, Ck100pro and Fitear Tg334.
You might notice my favorite iems are all brighter and are well renowned for detail king, the FW01 is on the opposite, it's a warm, bassy sound signature.
With due respect to FW01, it's still a enjoyable and fun iems to listen for certain kind of music and those who like this kind of warm and bassy sound signature.

Feb 22, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #138 of 780
  Have any of you ever heard the Dita "Answer" IEMs? I'm looking for a great single dynamic driver IEM and the FW01 is at the top of my list, but Amazon keeps raising the price and it's only available from 3rd party (I have a ton of Amazon gift cards so would love to buy it there). So I'm now looking at the Dita Answer and wondering if anyone has directly compared to the FW01? I guess it's probably a long shot, but worth asking :)

-Collin-

According to Coolcat in the FX1100 thread:

I used to own the 1200 and now the owner of the FW01 (I am quite a fanboy of these woodies)

I've found the bass of FW01 is tighter, sound more refine and I feel a touch more audiophile sound compared to the 1200. The FW01 is to me the 1200 tuned well.
B

I really love the FW01 indeed, it offers a nice performance for its price (when compared to something that are  in the same performance level such as Akt8ie or Dita the truth.)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/748207/jvc-new-top-tier-wooden-iem-jvc-ha-fx-1100/525#post_13140330

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #140 of 780
   It's got the best timbre I've ever heard on an IEM for stringed instruments and piano.

That't what I wanna say,even my iSine20 cannot beatthe FW01,when talikng about instruments's timbre. Damn I dont know I just like the sound coming out of both the FX1200 and FW01, they sound really vivid to my ears, like some multicolor paintings (Actually it's hard to describe my feeling) . I love them most when listen to woodwind instruments. 

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #143 of 780
Well, I sprung for another pair of IEMs: the A&K AKR02. I was able to pick up a new pair from an authorized dealer for $700 shipped.

I became intrigued by these due to its aesthetic design, and the more I read about the FI-BA-SS, the more I thought these would make a good companion to my IE 800 and FW01. Since the AKR02 is the same IEM (albeit with a better, detachable cable and leather case), I hope to be happy with my purchase.

Thanks go out to Bengkia369 for originally suggesting these to me.

Feb 23, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #144 of 780
Well, I sprung for another pair of IEMs: the A&K AKR02. I was able to pick up a new pair from an authorized dealer for $700 shipped.

I became intrigued by these due to its aesthetic design, and the more I read about the FI-BA-SS, the more I thought these would make a good companion to my IE 800 and FW01. Since the AKR02 is the same IEM (albeit with a better, detachable cable and leather case), I hope to be happy with my purchase.

Glad that you enjoy the AKR02!

Feb 24, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #145 of 780

Where did you get them for $700 :)

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #146 of 780
Where did you get them for $700 :)

I reached out to Headamp which had one advertised on Amazon for $799 and offered them $700. That was their last one.

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #147 of 780

I reached out to Headamp which had one advertised on Amazon for $799 and offered them $700. That was their last one.

Well there's a used one for $595 that I think I'll give a go with. Rather have a new one for $700, but beggars can't be choosers I guess. 

Will look forward to your comparison with the FW01 with enthusiasm! 

-Collin-

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #148 of 780
Well there's a used one for $595 that I think I'll give a go with. Rather have a new one for $700, but beggars can't be choosers I guess. 

Will look forward to your comparison with the FW01 with enthusiasm! 

-Collin-

I should have them on Monday and I'll definitely share my observations, especially compared to the FW01.

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #149 of 780
I received my Ortofon ec8s MMCX cables today and compared to the stock FW01 cable, I hear a bit of improvement in the mid/upper frequencies; there's better decay on instruments and music has a bit more lively character to it. No difference in the bass so far.

I also like the right angle connector since my primary use for the FW01 is when I go walking, and there's less of a chance for a mishap than with the straight connector on the stock cable.

All in all, I'm happy.

The ec8s (silver plated high purity copper conductors) retails for $150 and the ec7s (high purity copper conductors) is $120.

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #150 of 780
I received my Ortofon ec8s MMCX cables today and compared to the stock FW01 cable, I hear a bit of improvement in the mid/upper frequencies; there's better decay on instruments and music has a bit more lively character to it. No difference in the bass so far.

I also like the right angle connector since my primary use for the FW01 is when I go walking, and there's less of a chance for a mishap than with the straight connector on the stock cable.

All in all, I'm happy.

The ec8s (silver plated high purity copper conductors) retails for $150 and the ec7s (high purity copper conductors) is $120.

I'm using Sony MMCX SPC cable on my FW02, improve the sound quality too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back