JVC FX700 : How bad are the mids actually?
Mar 13, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #16 of 22
I' ve (sadly) never had the chance to hear the FX700s, but as for the qualifications you mentioned, the VSonic GR07 Bass Editions seem to be a good fit for what you're looking for.  I have been running them directly out of my iphone at times, and at other times out of my E17 and they sound fantastic out of both.  Particularly when I connect the E17 to my Macbook Pro via an optical cable.

Mar 13, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #17 of 22
I had the opportunity to audition the FX700 for about a month.

The highs aren't offensive as much as they are really aggressive. I didn't get any sibilance at all. The GR07 MK1 exhibited more of that when I had them. And in regard to the bass, aggressive is again the word I'd use. I don't think I've head an IEM with as sharp bass impact, more quantity and depth yes, more refined, also yes, but not as intense impact. What's shocking is for that much midbass, but very well controlled and getting out of the way quickly, it has a minimal effect on clarity due to the bell-like treble presentation. About timbre, except maybe for a few instruments that other IEM's do better, the FX700 does very many very well. The soundstage also has a very open air quality unlike most IEM's that sound cavernous.

But back to your pressing question about the mids: I'll somewhat echo what joker said in his review way back when as I heard them similarly. The mids taken by themselves are absolutely fantastic and i'd say that the mids could hold up another IEM by themselves but they are overshadowed by the bass and treble intensity in the FX700. The mids are otherwise absolutely refined, smooth yet not lacking for detail in the slightest. They just take a backseat.

It's definitely a special IEM, though if you plan to listen to them on public transport, you'll damage your hearing with how high you'd need to turn them up consistently. That's my standard FX700 warning.

Mar 28, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #19 of 22
They emphasize mid-bass over sub-bass and hit very hard with aggressive attack. Vocals are very refined and fluid while not lacking in detail, but they are pretty recessed compared to the bass and the treble. The sound is very open though, so it's not really a club-like sound.

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #20 of 22
i dont think they're as bassy as many people exaggerate. They definitely dont have the bass of full sized headphones obviously. However, the bass is nice, punchy and extends low enough to pick up most if not all the details in a song.

overall, I am very impressed with them. The mids are not recessed at all. They are clear, very detailed, and present. I have no idea why people would say they are recessed. definitely a keeper.

The treble is very very very much there without being sibilant. I'm lovin them so far.

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:
i dont think they're as bassy as many people exaggerate. They definitely dont have the bass of full sized headphones obviously. However, the bass is nice, punchy and extends low enough to pick up most if not all the details in a song.

overall, I am very impressed with them. The mids are not recessed at all. They are clear, very detailed, and present. I have no idea why people would say they are recessed. definitely a keeper.

The treble is very very very much there without being sibilant. I'm lovin them so far.

they are pretty much as bassy as it can get. Maybe the UE9000 or beats by dre headphones has more. 

Nov 26, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #22 of 22
I don't think the mids are recessed at all. All in this IEM sounds absolutely astonishing. So much sparkle, so much detail. And the bass... Oh my... the BASS!!! And I'm talking about QUALITY here. It's the best bass I have ever heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back