JVC FX700 : How bad are the mids actually?
Mar 10, 2013 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

gmoney9438

100+ Head-Fier
I hear people complaining about the mids on the FX700's. How bad are they exactly?

I'm shopping for a new portable rig, and I want a sound that can replicate that of my Audio Technica W1000x's.

I'm a very big classical and electronic listener. I like juicy mids, very good timbre is a must, decent bass extension, and I am somewhat sensitive to extremely hot highs. EDIT: and i love large enough soundstages without sacrificing too much clarity&detail.

Suggestions?

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 22
The JVC FX700 are bassy, it's bass goes realy deep and reverb(amazing bass) and mids are very detailed but not upfront or forward with bright extended highs(which may cause faguiting to some). It has large soundstage, crisp clear soundquality with amazing bass and it has natural warm timber to instruments(JVC signature warm sound), amazing for natural instruments like on Indie, Country, Jazz. The RE272 soundsignature is close to Your requirements and they are great for Electronic genres music because dark background, great imaging and space between instruments, wider soundstage like FX700. The other IEMs like UE900, Westone 4R, Sony EX1000, XBA4 and Klipsch Image X5 are great buy for these music and they fairly meet your requirements.

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:
I hear people complaining about the mids on the FX700's. How bad are they exactly?

I'm shopping for a new portable rig, and I want a sound that can replicate that of my Audio Technica W1000x's.

I'm a very big classical and electronic listener. I like juicy mids, very good timbre is a must, decent bass extension, and I am somewhat sensitive to extremely hot highs. EDIT: and i love large enough soundstages without sacrificing too much clarity&detail.

Suggestions?

They're not going to be what you want. The timbre of the instruments is unmatched (still the best I've ever heard), but I wasn't a fan of the mids. The fit was also pretty poor for me though, so maybe I might not be a good example.

If the W1000X has the AT house sound (which from reviews, it actually doesn't seem to have), then the Heir 4.Ai is a great IEM that you might like.

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 22
well, natural sounding instruments is very important to me. If possible, can you guys recommend me an iem with good timbre, good bass extension, good soundstage, mids, clarity, detail, a bit soft on the treble, if that's not too much to ask for? XD

Mar 11, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:
well, natural sounding instruments is very important to me. If possible, can you guys recommend me an iem with good timbre, good bass extension, good soundstage, mids, clarity, detail, a bit soft on the treble, if that's not too much to ask for? XD

Aww, almost would've said the EX1000. They fit almost all of the criteria except that one perfectly.

Otherwise the BA200 or the eQ-5 would fit, I guess.

Mar 11, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #11 of 22
The FX700 has amazing deep reverbing bass and highs are extended with little brightnes and natural tune to it like on Grado headphones with wide soundstage. But if youu sensitive to bright extended highs then i will recommend the RE272 because it's highly detailed in mids and highs are good for even sensitive ears.

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Sounds like the Westone UM3X to me. That or the EarSonics SM3 would be a good bet.

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #15 of 22
The FX700 re truely amazing IEMs specialy it's true life like instruments presentation for jazz and others instrumental genres. It's highs are closer to Grado type highs and canbe sparkly bright for some ears but if you are not extra sensitive to bright none faguiting highs then it willbe amazing buy for the price and it mids are very detailed compared to others highend IEMs but not very forward as on Shure IEMs but spacious presentation, warm rich sound, deep reverbing bass, extended highs and detailed mids are realy great. If it highs compared to more common Apple ADDIEMs or earbuds then one thing sudden apear it highs are more real, thick, bright and extended(there is some warmth to it like on Grado headphones). It willbe definitely good match with E17 and overall sound willbe improve and max input are at realy loud volume, most won't like to listen at that volume levels and if it less than 280 then it will not produce that loud volume which is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back