Just when you've finally made it to Summit-fi...
Aug 3, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #46 of 65
You can look at my profile to see what I own (too much to list).
But I can definately downsize to the rig I am listening to right now as I type this.

5.5G Imod
Alo super cotton doc
Larocco PRII
UE11 pros

Aug 3, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #47 of 65
Yes. Actually a state of the art IEM setup is a quite convenient one to downgrade.

Unfortunately I can't use my UE10Pros for long listening sessions (it is a perfect fit so that's not the problem; it is more of wax/sweat issues after a while). If that wasn't the case I think I could live with a great IEM setup too, although I like some soundstage in my cans so I can't be sure.

Aug 3, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #48 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's not a "downgrade". It's the ultimate setup for most peoples!
wink.gif
If we can go that route, my take would be HE90 + KGSS + OMZ + computer.
tongue.gif

LOL. I would have thought exactly the same a few years ago. At that time I would have said that my post was pedantic or elitist but I really tried to answer in a honest way no matter how silly the post could sound.

It really is difficult to go back. The man is the only animal that mastered the art of creating his own needs.

Aug 3, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #49 of 65
Maybe it's just me... after what I've gone through I can't wrap my head around some of the "bare-minimum" setups in this thread.

A bit OT:
Given my current living standards, stuff I have, friends, etc...

I have slept in bare floor for 3 weeks [this spring] with towels and pillows if I had to. No internet, no xbox, no laptop, no complaints! It's a long story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how low can you go?

Does equipment/material change people that much?

As an owner of an R10 [albeit my setup nowhere near adequate yet]
I can still enjoy music with iPod>sony earbud or even my 8 year old Sony radio that started it all.

Aug 3, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #50 of 65
if i was forced to downgrade, i think i would sell everything but my HE60/HEV70. although that's still 2K right there, not including source, cables, and other accompanying gear.

i mean if you have to downgrade to such an extent where you are using an ipod and earbuds (even upgraded), i'm not really sure you are in the hobby anymore.

Aug 3, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #51 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i mean if you have to downgrade to such an extent where you are using an ipod and earbuds (even upgraded), i'm not really sure you are in the hobby anymore.

If you put it that way... I guess you're right
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #52 of 65
Koss ESP/950 and E90 amp with a Denon DA-500 DAC (using laptop as digital transport). The Denon isn't mentioned much, if at all here, but it is a wonderful sounding unit using Denon's alpha processing with BB PCM1702 as the D-A converter. Great non-fatiguing sound, sort of closer to the Philips NOS sound than the modern hifi sound.

That works out to be

Koss ESP/950 with E90 amp: $675
Denon DA-500: $200-250
M-Audio Transit (for digital out): $70

Not including the cost of the laptop, that is about $1000 for really great sound
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #53 of 65
If we are talking about the minimum set up:

Portable:

IAudio X5L or equivalent (let's say 300 USD)
Westone UM2 (250 USD)

Home:

ATH-ESW9 driven by my laptop (300 USD, computer excluded of course)

This totals 850 USD. I am perfectly content with just using my ESW9s at the moment. I think they lack any flaws that seriously bother me even out of a cheap headphone jack and have they a very enjoyable and musical tonal balance. Hence if forced to choose just one headphone (including IEMs), I would probably just stick with these. I primarily listen at home and IEMs stink here. (missed phone calls, poor comfort, ear wax etc)

Aug 9, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #54 of 65
I guess I'm different in that I could never live with the HEV70 as my amp - ever. That would also require a better source.

My office rig (Cheapie CDP -> OPUS / Millett Max -> APS v3 -> HD600) is as far as I can go, or about $1100, assuming I can keep the $6k in CDs.

Oddly, with the BH down (for the count?), I might well consider turning over the HE60 / (steaming pile of crap) HEV70. Or, not.

Aug 9, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #56 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awww come on, the HEV70 isn't that bad. Although an SRD-7 pro with $199 Nuforce Icon speaker amp/USB DAC is better than the HEV70.
tongue.gif

try a transformer box with a decent tube amp
evil_smiley.gif
shazam

Aug 9, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #57 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although an SRD-7 pro with $199 Nuforce Icon speaker amp/USB DAC is better than the HEV70.
tongue.gif

Try the SRD-7 Pro with a high quality amplifier.
I could certainly live with one, and am actually thinking of doing so...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #58 of 65
Kai ... have you tried running your k1000 off the speaker taps on your SRD so you could switch back and forth ? Let me know the results if so.

Amplification is EVERYTHING when using the SRD line.
Class A/B YUCK !! Pure Class A YUMMY (even better with a tube/hybrid Preamp) , Tube... hell yeah ! Good digital well I haven't tried it personally so you tell me.

Aug 9, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #60 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
5.5G Imod
Alo super cotton doc

x2 on the 5.5G iMod and the ALO cable ... SQ with uncompressed files will blow you away (using a good portable amp and HPs, of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back