Just Ordered the TTVJ Slim
Sep 15, 2011 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

FlatNine

500+ Head-Fier
I just spoke to Todd at TTVJ and ordered the Slim for $349 USD. From all the reading, it seems like a perfect fit for me. Nevertheless, I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse. It's not like an amp is totally necessary, and there are certainly less expensive amps on the market. (and waaay more expensive for that matter)  On the other hand, music is such a big part of my life, and I'm looking to turn listening into a great experience. Now that I have what seems to be a good amp, I can look at many more cans, including high impedance models. My Grados (325si) are nice, but I'm really digging warm sound lately, and I wouldn't describe the Grados as warm.

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #2 of 11
There might be other amps on the market...but do they sound as warm as these ones are reputed to sound? 

I have a TTVJ Portable Milletts which I absolutely love.  It's been my travelling companion for the past 2 years (almost) since I joined here. 

I'm not surprised you're disappointed with the Grados.  I gave up with Grados - too thin and bright and useless for travelling in high noise pollution zones. 
I found my ears hurt using Grados - the volumes I turned them up are a big no no.  Ultrasone Pro 900s get that balance better, but a suppose, the mod'dded Sennheiser HD25-I IIs would be the ultra travel kit.   

I've been meaning to upgrade my cable for years....now I'm thinking of the Ultrasone Edition 8 (madness ... huh!)

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 11
Time for me to start reading about warm hp's next. I may sell my Grado's. It's too bad, as they're only about 4 months old, and have never left my "listening room."

Ipod Touch 3rd Gen 64gb + TTVJ Slip + which hp's for a warm musical sound. That's the question for me.

Sep 15, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #4 of 11
Time for me to start reading about warm hp's next. I may sell my Grado's. It's too bad, as they're only about 4 months old, and have never left my "listening room."

Ipod Touch 3rd Gen 64gb + TTVJ Slim + which hp's for a warm musical sound. That's the question for me.

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 11
ermm... from TTVJ?!?!?!

https://www.ttvjaudio.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=34

Haven't tried this one but maybe more people will chime in.

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #7 of 11
Yep - that where I got mine - direct from TTVJ. If you're really interested, give Todd a call - he's a nice guy and will steer you n the right direction for sure. I've had mine now for about 4 months and do not regret it in the least. It has a great sound for me. Just know - BEFORE you spend all kinds of money on head gear, what it is that you want. I knew I wanted a warm lush sound and did my research based on that. If you don't know what you want, you'll never get it because you don't know what "it" is. Good luck.

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #8 of 11
I wrote up this thread with lots of info on various amps:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/592550/choosing-the-right-portable-amp-for-denon-d5000

but no one has answered... do you know how to read the specs? I feel lost looking at that stuff.

Also when you say a "warm, lush sound", how would that compare to the pico slim for example, in terms of how you'd describe the sound... and which style of music does a "warm, lush sound" work best with? Thanks in advance.

Jan 26, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:

but no one has answered... do you know how to read the specs? I feel lost looking at that stuff.

Also when you say a "warm, lush sound", how would that compare to the pico slim for example, in terms of how you'd describe the sound... and which style of music does a "warm, lush sound" work best with? Thanks in advance.

Sorry - I don't usually rely on specs. They can be misleading. I have never heard the Pico Slim so I can't comment there either. Ok - I am 0 for 2.
confused_face.gif
  I am a big jazz fan, mostly 50's and 60's when jazz was in what many consider to be its prime. I think for jazz of that era, warm and lush is just wonderful. Stand-up bass that is clearly defined but not boomy, strong in the upper bass right up to the mids, and a taper from upper mids into the high end. I personally find that without the pronounced roll-off in the high end, I can't listen for too long, as I find it to be very fatiguing. I sold my Grado 325si's for that reason. Don't get me wrong, they are great phones, just not for the sound sig I was after.

As far as your question -- "which style of music does a 'warm, lush sound' work best with" -- I would have to say that ultimately, that is a matter of preference. If you really liked classical music with booming bass, and minimal high end, no one could or should argue. After all, it is *your* preference. While I could write about why I personally like my jazz to be warm, it is still trying to reason through my preference *after* the fact. The real reason is that I just really like it that way. It all comes down to what you like, period.

A good place to start may be to put on some of your favorite music on a regular system - maybe in your car, or your home receiver - and play with the bass, mids, and treble. Ask yourself - how do like your music to sound? Do you like the bass more forward? Do you like high notes to be clear and more pronounced? Maybe you like the vocals to dominate the track. There is no right or wrong, just what works for you. I know this whole post is a non-answer of sorts, but it took me a while, and a lot of money to learn what I am trying to say here. With all the gear available, knowing what you want is the only way to purchase and ultimately find audio satisfaction. I hope this helps.

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:

Do a search for: "amp for Denon D5000" and you are bound to find dozens of threads!

I don't rely on too much specs, your ears wont care about them either! :wink:
They will only care if it sounds good to you!

First thing you need to do, try out your new D5000s straight from your player/computer/wherever
you are going to use it. Listen to it... if you like it well enough, you wont need an amp, period!
If you start turning up the volume and it doesn't sound as full as you think it should, or sound distorts,
or you want more volume but your player cannot provide it, THEN look into getting an amp...

Just to note, most of what you listed (if not all) SHOULD drive the D5000s well... (heck, even my NuForce
Icon Mobile can drive them... not as well as my current amp, but it can!) but as someone else mentioned
different amps actually "color" sound just a bit (they are not supossed to but... oh well...) and that's why we
might have some "warm" sounding amps, some "colder" sounding ones, etc.

I have read a lot of good things about TTVJ products and I'm pretty sure one of their offerings
(including the Slim) will be able to provide what you need (IF you need it!).

Good luck!

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #11 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back