Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Mar 7, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #6,841 of 11,346

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. Definitely try the v-moda cable before dickering around with the internal cabling. 

The stock locking plug creates a bad electrical connection as it always "locks" at the same place. The VMODA cable helps this problem as you can rotate the plug to another area and simple rotation helps to physically remove the oxidation. Many posters have replaced with the VMODA cable and report good success with eliminating the dropouts, imbalances with the stock cable/jack. Many have said it didn't improve the sound, just the dropouts etc. I have replaced the stock cable with mogami and neutrik plugs both ends, after first cutting the stock cable to assess the gauge. I was appalled at the tiny, unmeasurable gauge wires in the stock cable. Is the VMODA cable larger gauge? I agree dickering around with the internal wiring from the jack to the drivers may not be needed, as the internal wiring is larger gauge than the stock cable, however for me replacing the stock cable made a huge improvement.

Mar 7, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #6,842 of 11,346

Quote:
I've had various things covering the driver felt anyway, so I'm probably making a bigger deal out of removing it than I need to, but once it's off, it's off. Perhaps some hemp for a twist on the Rastapants
tongue_smile.gif

Yes.  Woody Harrelson would fully approve of that mod.

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #6,843 of 11,346
I just got the Vmoda cable and am really happy with it!  Thanks for the tip LFF!!

Not only did it fix the static, dropouts and channel imbalances with no need for de-oxit, which I also ordered already unfortunately, and which was just as expensive as the cable.  But it also had a noticeable effect on SQ.  I'm guessing the stock cable is steel or something because the Vmoda cable is actually warmer throughout, with less and smoother treble.  I'm guessing it's a substantial enough difference to be shown in measurements because it's enough to affect my damping scheme/pad arrangement. 

I'd say the Vmoda cable is a must buy. 

We'll see if I wind up with any complaints as I listen more. 

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #6,844 of 11,346
How would you guys find the V-moda cables compared to other cables from detachable cable headphones? I'm using my bro's Sony Marquii cable, but I eventually need to return it to him so I planned to get something for myself... That 5$ shipping for $10 cable has put me off till now xP

Quote:
I have to say, the looks of the Fostex have really grown on me. They don't have the beautiful luxurious look of something like the Denons, but they have a really nice retro audio-nerd, with a mix of Jet Grind Radio or Jet Set Radio Future look to them.
Of course, I think Grado has a similar style, and Grado makes some of the best looking headphones out there (in my opinion, at least).

I quite like the Fostex look, though from the reflection on windows it looks like I have two golden horns lol. But duuuuuude your Denon looks amazing! :p

Mar 8, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #6,846 of 11,346
I'm accepting this explanation as the definitive reason the stock cable fails.  I've not read this particular take on it before.  Thank you for that.

It certainly explains why I was cleaning the hell out of it every few listens.  And I thought DeoxIT was supposed to keep the contact clean and help protect it.

Quote:
The stock locking plug creates a bad electrical connection as it always "locks" at the same place. The VMODA cable helps this problem as you can rotate the plug to another area and simple rotation helps to physically remove the oxidation. Many posters have replaced with the VMODA cable and report good success with eliminating the dropouts, imbalances with the stock cable/jack. Many have said it didn't improve the sound, just the dropouts etc. I have replaced the stock cable with mogami and neutrik plugs both ends, after first cutting the stock cable to assess the gauge. I was appalled at the tiny, unmeasurable gauge wires in the stock cable. Is the VMODA cable larger gauge? I agree dickering around with the internal wiring from the jack to the drivers may not be needed, as the internal wiring is larger gauge than the stock cable, however for me replacing the stock cable made a huge improvement.

Mar 8, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #6,847 of 11,346
Hello, I have a pair of fresh 50rp's coming tomorrow and was looking around for some Paxmate in Canada, but so far been SOL. Would anyone have some extra that they would consider selling to me ?

Thanks

Darren C
dgcrane

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #6,848 of 11,346
I just got mine last week from fullcompass? 
Where did you get yours from?

Sometimes things in Canada suck!!
Like snow.
I haven't found any paxmate either, and shire SRH 840 pads to but no supplier in Canada I can find and nobody willing to ship them here, apparently Shure won't let them, they say.

So if anybody has some paxmate or Some Shure pads give me a pm and I will purchase them.

Mar 8, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #6,851 of 11,346

Quote:
I just got mine last week from fullcompass? 

I believe FullCompass now has theirs priced the same as B&H Photo @ $74.00.  If you purchased them last week at a higher price, see if you can get a price adjustment.

Quote:
Mine arrived yesterday.  I am liking the build quality.  Anyone know where it's made in?  Japan or China?

Fostex is a Japanese company.  However, I've often questioned to myself where the headphones are actually made.

Mar 8, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #6,853 of 11,346
www.lamusic.ca carries the Shure pads if you want to source them in Canada.  That's where I got mine.

Unfortunately, my Paxmate supply dried up--not aware of a way to get it in Canada now.

Mar 8, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #6,854 of 11,346
yes, but as explained in that same article:

What are the country codes?

Lots of people have requested the codes. Here is a partial list. Remember, it indicates the country that issued the code, NOT THE COUNTRY OF ORIGIN OF THE PRODUCT.

personally, i think there is some japanese manufacturing involved in the fostex planars, but i would not be surprised if the majority occurred in china/taiwan these days.

Quote:

http://pics.shorty.org/files/1223/Audio/N82_401-t50.jpg

http://www.adams1.com/upccode.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back