Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 14, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #10,696 of 11,345
  Hi Guys!

Its my first post here, although I'm watching you for long while. First I would like to thank you for all your effort to improve this headphones. Year ago I was planning to buy second hand LCD2 but I bought t20rp instead and a piece of wood:) recently I finished my wooden enclosure and actually made all parts beside drivers by myself (enclosure, headband, cable and pads) so I'm not sure if I can post pictures on this thread, but I really would like to if you wont mind. I have few mods inside that I didn't notice here like beewax instead of plasticine etc ( but I'm in about 400th page right now so maybe someone already did that). When I will find a time I will post some sort of tutorial how to make your own earpads to specific size and shape as I found some nice way to do that and I would like to repay for your share. I noticed that many really nice members are banned right now and its quite sad as I really appreciate their effort. For now I would like to ask few questions:
1- Are the drivers from t20rp, t40rp and t50rp the same beside white paper at the back of the driver? I know that this question was here few times but it was never fully proved and I noticed that each driver have different dot colour on the back of it. The one from my t20rp have pink dots and I noticed that some of the driver have blue. But I also noticed that some t50rp pictures have pink dots also. I'm wonder if dots colours are only to distinguish different dampening paper or there are some difference in magnets or diaphragm? Did anyone finally figured it out?
2- Is there anyone with working diaphragm from recent t20rp out there? as I destroyed one of mine and I hope I wont need to buy another pair just for one diaphragm.
3- Is there LFF still out there? :wink: as probably most of us I was wonder what did you do inside Paradox. Can I ask if you didn't create vacuum inside? you sealed your Paradox quite well, and you mentioned few times that opening them will destroy the mod. Also there is no sound and resonance in the vacuum:) beside inside soaking pressure of vacuum on the diaphragm I don't see anything that would make it a bad idea. If you didn't made vacuum or pomp other gas inside what do you think about that idea? the diaphragm can be sealed pretty easy around the edges.
4- has anyone tried dampening inside structure of the driver between magnets (beside Russian hardcore modder) I did that but I used felt and some protruding fibers were causing distortions by touching moving diaphragm. Next time I will use thin leather just like Russian guy did but without cutting frame.

Also I would like to say to be careful with rockwool as it creates some sort of evil dust inside which driver likes to soak inside. And its not fairy dust- it wont make your drivers fly...

Sorry for chaotic post and terrible English:wink:

Check my head-fi profile for what I call the "Radical Russian Roulette Mod." There are two videos available for streaming or downloading that shows you how to do it.  :)

Be careful using a heat gun on the T50RP (and T40, T20). Too much heat will make them brittle and prone to break.

PM me for a replacement diaphragm. Not perfect but will work.  Oh, and it's free of charge + shipping if you're not in CONUS.

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #10,697 of 11,345
Brand new member, I've been stalking, reading and absorbing what I could so far but wanted to jump in. I just received these T50RP's today. I enjoy tinkering and modifying all sorts of things across an odd spectrum of hobbies. I've got an O2 amp and separate O2DAC coming hopefully by friday. 

I can't wait to jump into some of the mods I've been reading about. It was a no brainer for me to go with this modding route, I already have 90% of the tools and materials. I'm really itching to customize/paint the cups, but I'll have to be patient, since I'm really hoping to do a cable swap and move the inputs to the bottom, but I've got a lot more homework to do and would rather not take 2 steps forward, just to go back 3 and do the painting and prep all over again.

Oct 15, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #10,698 of 11,345
Have fun and make sure to post back ( with pictures )

Oh and welcome to Head-fi (1st post ) : sorry about your wallet.

Oct 15, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #10,700 of 11,345
Thank you both. I have a feeling that I'll fit in just fine. I love photography and tweaking and fiddling/tinkering even more. I'll be happy to share some pics once I get my feet under me. I moderate on other hobby forums not related to Hi Fi, so I know that it will be a while before I start rattling off questions. This forum has some incredibly in-depth threads (mega-threads). So most of my learning will come from slowly combing thru and reading rather than rattling off a bunch of questions. I hate newbie noise as much as anyone else.

I'm going to dig around and see how peoples' custom paint and finish work holds up. That will be a good thing to know. I baby my gear, but still.

Oct 20, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #10,701 of 11,345
Hi Guys!​
 ​
First huge thanks to BMF for saving my headphones and to all of you that made me decide to do this. I promised I will post some pictures of my t
πRP :) and I didn't find a time so today some lo-fi pictures and later I will update it with decent one and final mod inside. Currently inside they look different and what you will see on pictures are some of the old mods. Also they don't have so fancy looking baffle any more as you can see on some pictures I rip it badly during searching for the source of distortion (it was in the track...) yup they were revealing... the felt inside driver is something silly that I would like to share as it was the nail to the grave for one of the driver and really bad idea (but I'm not done yet with inside driver damping)   :) just as Kate Bush singing:​
"​
the minute I put them on
I knew I had done something wrong..."
Yup she was my main reference:) I will post long story about my modding but not today, today I got pictures and not enough time.​
 ​
Ladies and Gentlemen I'm presenting you the Monolith:​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​

Oct 20, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #10,702 of 11,345

Hi Guys!​
 ​
First huge thanks to BMF for saving my headphones and to all of you that made me decide to do this. I promised I will post some pictures of my t
πRP :) and I didn't find a time so today some lo-fi pictures and later I will update it with decent one and final mod inside. Currently inside they look different and what you will see on pictures are some of the old mods. Also they don't have so fancy looking baffle any more as you can see on some pictures I rip it badly during searching for the source of distortion (it was in the track...) yup they were revealing... the felt inside driver is something silly that I would like to share:) just as Kate Bush singing:​
"​
the minute I put them on
I knew I had done something wrong..."
Yup she was my main reference:) I will post long story about my modding but not today, today I got pictures and not enough time.​
 ​
Ladies and Gentlemen I'm presenting you the Monolith:​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​

Well this certainly does look interesting. What're the pads and how do they sound with wood enclosures?

Oct 20, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #10,703 of 11,345
^^^^^^^^^ THAT IS BEYOND COOL! ^^^^^^^^^^^

Great job that looks like a lot of hard work and love!  What kind of burl wood is that?

I love how the baffle is in the shape of an ear too, very neat =)

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 20, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #10,704 of 11,345
Redwood Lace Burl, earpads made from real leather. In time I will post some tutorial how to make your own earpads to any crazy custom shapes. Thanks guys:) I will write more info tomorrow as I need to go to sleep. It was lot of work and small fortune on sandpaper... but really rewarding experience

Cheers!

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #10,709 of 11,345
That is mind-boggling how much modding went into that. Is that a cork-like material inserted between the magnets? You appear to be blocking some of the holes in the driver itself. And I find it curious that for all the crazy damping in the cup and surrounding the driver, there doesn't appear to be any on the ear-side under the pad?

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #10,710 of 11,345
  Redwood Lace Burl, earpads made from real leather. In time I will post some tutorial how to make your own earpads to any crazy custom shapes. Thanks guys:) I will write more info tomorrow as I need to go to sleep. It was lot of work and small fortune on sandpaper... but really rewarding experience

Cheers!

pls pls show me how to make custom earpads. I have already cut out memory foam and lambskin to shape but gave up on the sewing as it is hard to align leather when it is stretchable.
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back