Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 13, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #3,781 of 11,345
Thanks man hehehe. Will change it later, when I go home.

Did you get yet the O2 pads?

Oct 13, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #3,782 of 11,345
You can always try covering some/all of the vents with electrical tape or felt from the outside to see if that helps tame your bass; then you would know if it's worth opening them up and what the results will be 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
I think I've decided that these need to be in stock so I can buy 2 more pairs. The pair right now mostly due to laziness shall be my "fun" pair. I'd like to have a stock one and then have another one where it can be more neutral which is more like the RP2 I'm assuming..or I can wait until the weekend and hope my laziness passes.

The bass port uncovered with modeling clay in most of the typical places, felt over the driver after removing the white felt and acoustic foam in the cup. I also have the O2 pads as I find the stock ones are horrible. That's what I have now and although the bass quality is a bit "boomy" I don't really have a desire to open it up again. 

Oct 13, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #3,784 of 11,345

Quote:
You can always try covering some/all of the vents with electrical tape or felt from the outside to see if that helps tame your bass; then you would know if it's worth opening them up and what the results will be 
beerchug.gif

I've been trying to but I'm just lazy at this point. They sound good but I would like to tame the bass vents. I'm hoping to get everything over the weekend and then I'll spend a few hours trying some mods and going from there. I got some ideas I would like to try out.

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #3,785 of 11,345
If you're looking to go down the road with Dynamat (or an equivalent), it's likely counterproductive to remove the foil backing. Constrained layer dampeners like these need the backing to be effective.

Oct 13, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #3,786 of 11,345
Agreed.  You want the foil there.  When it's covered entirely by acoustic foam it's A-OK.  

I used the 2mm flavor to keep the weight down and minimize loss of volume in the cup.  When the cup is closed, volume matters...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 13, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #3,788 of 11,345

Quote:
If you're looking to go down the road with Dynamat (or an equivalent), it's likely counterproductive to remove the foil backing. Constrained layer dampeners like these need the backing to be effective.

Thank you. I was just about to go on a rant about this until you posted.

If you remove the constraining layer from a contraining-layer dampener, you're basically just left with sticky goop that's less effective than plasticine.

Though really, by lining it on the inside of the cups with felt on top it doesn't do much for the backwave; it's just adding to the vibration damping from the baffle. It would be much more effective to put the dynamat on the baffle itself, though the surface crevices make this less than simple. Is there enough flat surface on the front of the baffle? That would be more ideal anyways.

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #3,789 of 11,345
Quote:
Though really, by lining it on the inside of the cups with felt on top it doesn't do much for the backwave; it's just adding to the vibration damping from the baffle.

Just curious, Armaegis. Do you think that vibration damping the cup is ineffective? (From my own experience, I found that plasticine in the baffles and getting a good seal with the pads made the most significant contribution to my sound quality.) 

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #3,790 of 11,345

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #3,791 of 11,345

Quote:

You're... not allowed to post... I just teared up a little. ; )

I just bought HD 600... It sounded like utter garbage compared to T50. On my system, with it's cables.. Much worse than I thought it would fair, and that was giving them a fair 2 day shake.

Look like one of my T50's get Silver Dragon, the other one Blue Dragon & stock (both soldered to the same driver) and one of them gets O2's while the 'lesser' one gets Shure 840's.. I'm done with traditional dynamics at this point. Only dynamics I still appreciate are my Grados and HD 800, which is way overpriced. At this point, it's T 50 + Stax or nothing. Time to get into where I should really be anyway.

/Return HD 600, start with 300$ for stax savings, and work from there.

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #3,792 of 11,345

Quote:
You're... not allowed to post... I just teared up a little. ; )

I just bought HD 600... It sounded like utter garbage compared to T50. On my system, with it's cables.. Much worse than I thought it would fair, and that was giving them a fair 2 day shake.

Look like one of my T50's get Silver Dragon, the other one Blue Dragon & stock (both soldered to the same driver) and one of them gets O2's while the 'lesser' one gets Shure 840's.. I'm done with traditional dynamics at this point. Only dynamics I still appreciate are my Grados and HD 800, which is way overpriced. At this point, it's T 50 + Stax or nothing. Time to get into where I should really be anyway.

/Return HD 600, start with 300$ for stax savings, and work from there. 

Couldn't agree more with you. Apart from Grados and my Koss, I will never own a dynamic headphone again, except the K1000. I'm also saving for a Stax system (the goal is the SR-007 or the SR-009, no Lambdas for me).

Tomorrow I will post more pics.

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #3,793 of 11,345

Quote:
Couldn't agree more with you. Apart from Grados and my Koss, I will never own a dynamic headphone again, except the K1000. I'm also saving for a Stax system (the goal is the SR-007 or the SR-009, no Lambdas for me).

Tomorrow I will post more pics.

Only problem is how ludicrously overpriced some of the products are... I mean, I'm expecting to be beyond floored by their sound, but 5k as a standard price wearies me. I'll have to stick to DIY KGSS or something along with high end Lambda or somehow score an Sr007 around 800-900 bucks.

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #3,794 of 11,345

Quote:
Only problem is how ludicrously overpriced some of the products are... I mean, I'm expecting to be beyond floored by their sound, but 5k as a standard price wearies me. I'll have to stick to DIY KGSS or something along with high end Lambda or somehow score an Sr007 around 800-900 bucks.

Yeah, me too... Headphone + DIY kit. Don't want to pay such ridiculously high prices for the whole set.

Oct 13, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #3,795 of 11,345
I'm not exactly going to stop getting dynamic headphones right now but I like what I have. I will probably end up selling the DT880 or HE-4 but leaning towards keeping the HE-4 right now. That along with the T50RP and my Magnums I think I have all I would want for now. The only dynamic I'm really looking at is a HD800 but that is not very cheap.

I'm not sure about Stax right now as i'll need to listen before buying those for sure..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back