Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Oct 12, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #3,751 of 11,345
Well I just tried the Rastapants2 last night knowing that it wouldn't work out too well because I didn't use Dynamat or the O2 pads.  I used no dynamat and the 840 pads.  It sounded horrific!  But I knew that would happen.  I started from a twisted version of Rastapants2 and worked my way to the sound I liked.

So here's my current set up and it sounds a little better than my previous endgame combination of mods (TO ME AND ME ONLY!):

Inside of cup:
- Stock felt covering the bass port slats (black felt)
- Cups lined with SilverStone acoustic foam including the center post, basically cover everything you can see
    :: DO NOT cover the bass port felt

Internal side of baffle:
- Plasticine just like Rastapants2, including the outer "seal" section
- Silverstone Acoustic Foam on top of the plasticine just like Rastapants2
- Creatology black felt from Rastapants2 glued with rubber cement to back of driver after removing white stock felt

Ear side of baffle:
- Two layers of SilverStone Acoustic foam donuts, do not let the foam get too close to the driver, cut ovals and cut out the centers of the ovals so the foam is really only about 3/4" wide all the way around, think outer ring of a target
- SRH840 pads taped with electrical tape to the cups

To me, this is the best combination.  It allows for really natural sounds.  When I did the fake Rastapants2 set up to see where I stood, I found with that set up there was NO BASS, and the voices and instruments were coming from tin cans.  To me, the bass port needs to be open for these to work well and deliver that natural, thick sound that to me sounds very natural.  The top end is still light and effortless but the bass breathes a lot more power this way.

Thanks for your contributions that led me to find my most current iteration of the Dahminators.

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #3,752 of 11,345

Quote:
What are the dimensions of the O2 pads?

I'm really curious about the special sauce in O2 pads. Could someone please supply front and rear thickness? Also, how soft vs firm are these, compared to, say, the stock pads? Are they of uniform density or are they firm against the baffle and soft against the ear? Thanks!

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #3,753 of 11,345
I got mine from Henry's (currently oos).  You can also try Long and McQuaide (I think oos as well) and Moog audio.

Remember to order the following with the T50s to save on shipping:
a) 1/4 to 1/8 adapter or a mini to mini cable to replace your current cable.
b) Shure 840 earpads

Quote:
where do you guys get T50RP if your in ontario canada?

thanks

Oct 12, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #3,754 of 11,345
Have ya'll noticed this on Amazon? 
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #3,755 of 11,345
This is fulfilled by Full Compass and their web site shows they currently have T50RP's in stock for $74 plus shipping.  I bought several pairs from them a few months ago.  There was a problem that I later learned is common and can be fixed with De-oxit.  Full Compass immediately sent another pair before I returned the pair I thought were defective.

Quote:
Have ya'll noticed this on Amazon? 
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #3,756 of 11,345

Quote:
This is fulfilled by Full Compass and their web site shows they currently have T50RP's in stock for $74 plus shipping.  I bought several pairs from them a few months ago.  There was a problem that I later learned is common and can be fixed with De-oxit.  Full Compass immediately sent another pair before I returned the pair I thought were defective. 

I just bought one of them.. There's one remaining.

Oct 12, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #3,758 of 11,345
FYI I ordered from Full Compass Systems via Amazon yesterday and it shipped...

I wanted a full stock unit to try some tests on the RP2 but with stock fabric...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 12, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #3,759 of 11,345

Quote:

I wanted a full stock unit to try some tests on the RP2 but with stock fabric...

^^ this. But my recable version will also be on this second headphone. Ordered shure840 pads too.

Oct 12, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #3,760 of 11,345
Hope you have a chance to tweak your design for the Sony SA5000 pads which I'm currently using; haven't removed the stock fabric yet so I'm eager to hear your results on that too!! 
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Oct 12, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #3,761 of 11,345
O2 pads measures once mounted:

- 10cm outer diameter
- 1cm high in the thin part
- 2cm high in the fat part.

I don't think that you can copy the effect that they make using other earpads. The EP-007 are made of real leather, some kind of memory foam and the fabric is sustained by a hard ring material that fits inside the earpads. Also, the inner hole of the earpads isn't round, it has a straight side.

Oct 12, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #3,763 of 11,345
Thanks, SLaRe. I'd always assumed they were thicker overall.
Quote:
O2 pads measures once mounted:

- 10cm outer diameter
- 1cm high in the thin part
- 2cm high in the fat part.

I don't think that you can copy the effect that they make using other earpads. The EP-007 are made of real leather, some kind of memory foam and the fabric is sustained by a hard ring material that fits inside the earpads. Also, the inner hole of the earpads isn't round, it has a straight side.

Oct 12, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #3,764 of 11,345
The thickness is measured once mounted over the cups, in the inside of the earpad, from the baffle to the top of the earpad. Also they are approximated measures since I don't have a caliber and have to take them with a measuring tape.

Oct 12, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #3,765 of 11,345

Quote:
Anyone know whether the angle is more drastic on the O2 pads or the Audez'e LCD-2 pads?

It's very roughly the same. Audez'e only has like 4 pairs or rev 1 pads left. I would jump on those if you want something 'better' than the O2 @ 1/3 the price. I'm deeply tempted to just grab these.

(according to Smeggy.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back