Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Sep 15, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #2,537 of 11,345
FA-003 pads are unavailable at the moment. You can get them from GD Audiobase.

Sep 15, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #2,538 of 11,345
With regards to the dynamat and paxmate usage.  I plastered dynamat all over the back of the cups (with the silver foil on), then stuck paxmate on top of the dynamat.

Before the dynamat, the sound was very echoey, and has literally no bass.  After the paxmate, the bass actually became too much, and I had to close the vents up a little.

For the baffles, I stuck modelling clay all over it, I put on so much, I had trouble closing the cups afterwards.

Question to all, what is the purpose of the reflex dot?  And what material do you use for it?

Sep 16, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #2,539 of 11,345
reflex dot increases HF. Any non porous material eg scotch tape will do as it reflects HF coming out the back of the driver back towards your ear. To much damping on the back of the driver will have a similar effect. That is also why removing the stock damping on the back of the driver and replacing it with something more permeable will lift the bass.

Sep 16, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #2,540 of 11,345

Quote:
reflex dot increases HF. Any non porous material eg scotch tape will do as it reflects HF coming out the back of the driver back towards your ear. To much damping on the back of the driver will have a similar effect. That is also why removing the stock damping on the back of the driver and replacing it with something more permeable will lift the bass.

what do you mean by "lift the bass"?    

Sep 16, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #2,541 of 11,345
i love this album and it's a perfect contrapuntal torture test for any hi-fi.  my t50rps sails through it with ease.  no hIGH eND fireworks - it just sounds "right".

Sep 16, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #2,542 of 11,345
That's the "take off the white felt and bass increases too much so you have to close the vent to varying degrees to tune to your ear pads" effect I've been discussing for about the last 40 pages (and probably noted by others earlier, sorry, not trying to claim jump the vent tuning, just don't remember if I read it or made it up)...  

beerchug.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 16, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #2,543 of 11,345
mrspeakers.. how would you characterize treble sound and presence w/ the Rastapants?  I'll take opinions from others who have done the Rastapants mods too..

I get the sense we're getting luscious bass, a sweet, natural midrange with rolled off, but detailed treble?  What is done to keep the treble balanced & in line with the rest of the sound?

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #2,544 of 11,345
The treble is very similar in style to the LCD-2, not in your face but it's all there.  It took my a while to get used to it with both the cans, I have so many headphones with sizzle treble over the years it took me a while to "get it" with these (and the LCD-2).

That said, I could see wanting to bump things up 1-2db up top.  I was thinking of playing with a reflex strip or dot of tape or something in the center square or maybe covering a row of three cells, just for giggles.  If you try it let me know how it plays...  I probably can't get to it until Sunday but I will try it on a set to a/b.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 16, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #2,545 of 11,345
Lift the bass means exactly what MrS just said. To get more treble play with reflex dots. I have used differential damping on the back of my drivers which is micropore on the 4 corners then 2 layers of felt around the edges and 1 layer over the middle of the driver. You can look at my mod on p130 or 131 of this thread ( can't recall which one exactly). I love the bass quantity and impact of this mod while still having a pretty good treble. I also found having no felt over the ear side of the driver also improves treble for me.

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #2,546 of 11,345
I was using the headphone amp on my Musiland 02US and the volume was already maxed.
I have a Headsave Classic lying around and decided to try it. (Any 'old timer' here that knows HeadSave? :D)
Musiland 02US Line Out>Headsave Classic>Fostex Thunderdog>Stupendous Music!

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #2,547 of 11,345
My HDP..... At minimum volume.. If I go any lower the channels are imbalanced. About 85db wearabouts... It's MUCH easier to drive than HD 650 on HDP. Which is funny since LCD-2 is harder

LCD-2 = slightly harder than 650.
T 50 rp= very easy driving (like my grado) out of the HDP..

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #2,548 of 11,345
Just to clarify for the slightly stupid & uninitiated (a.k.a. me).  We're talking about placing something on the center of the "back side of the driver", correct?  I see in pix where there appears to be a plastic "post" of sort right in the middle of the cup that aligns with the center of the driver, too.  I'm not sure if this is supposed to be dampened with the acoustic foam or not.

To improve treble, are we talking about damping that post or the back of the driver (where the 'craft felt" typically goes)?

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #2,549 of 11,345
USPS: Processed Through Sort Facility

1 week in and stuck at this message on USPS website, come on already.

I doubt it's gonna be 1 more week, probably like another 2 weeks at this rate. LOL.
very_evil_smiley.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What would vinyl pads be like, got some vinyl here and a sewing machine

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #2,550 of 11,345

Quote:
Just to clarify for the slightly stupid & uninitiated (a.k.a. me).  We're talking about placing something on the center of the "back side of the driver", correct?  I see in pix where there appears to be a plastic "post" of sort right in the middle of the cup that aligns with the center of the driver, too.  I'm not sure if this is supposed to be dampened with the acoustic foam or not.

To improve treble, are we talking about damping that post or the back of the driver (where the 'craft felt" typically goes)?

The posts should be aligned at the edges of the driver (with those little foam guys)--they are designed to decrease resonance (but it doesn't work as well as dynamat or other modding materials).  Otherwise, you might be talking about the piece of plastic that holds the headband onto the cups.  I usually leave that alone.

And yes, a reflex dot goes right on the back of the driver.  I wouldn't make it too big, because you want to use something that will reflect the sound back over the driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back