Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Sep 15, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #2,521 of 11,345

My headphones arrived yesterday, so it looks like I'm ready to join the party! 

I haven't made it all the way through this thread yet -- as I'm only on page 115 or so. I believe I got the gist of most of the mods, unless some huge revelations are taking place in the last 50 pages or so. 

This headphone was always on my radar, but eventually sorta lost interest. That was until Kneeljung loaned me his pair in which I decided I needed to get a pair to tinker with. 

I'll likely follow mrspeakers' template to begin with and then make small adjustments from there to suit my personal tastes. I got some Silverstone 4mm acoustic dampening foam (instead of Paxmate) because it was readily available on Amazon. I have Shure SRH840 pads coming next week as well. 

I'm undecided on the material to mass load my baffles with. Most people have been using plasticine, but I have TONS of dynamat that is just sitting around. Dynamat seems to be denser, but harder to work with. Has anyone mass loaded their baffles with dynamat (or both)? 

Anyway, can't wait to start tweaking. My LCDs are being loaned to another member right now, but when I get those back, I'll use them as reference to see how close I can get. 

Sep 15, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #2,522 of 11,345

Quote:

Anyway, can't wait to start tweaking. My LCDs are being loaned to another member right now, but when I get those back, I'll use them as reference to see how close I can get. 

please do.  i would like to hear more comparisons before i splash out on a pair of LCD-2.

Sep 15, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #2,523 of 11,345

Quote:
please do.  i would like to hear more comparisons before i splash out on a pair of LCD-2.

Sure thing. I was able to compare Kneeljung's T50RP against my LCD-2. I'm not sure of his exact configuration, but the from what I could remember of his (compared to my stock ones now), the mids were much more forward. It was almost a reverse U-shaped curve. The bass had a lot more definition than stock configuration and more impact as well. The treble was detailed, but overshadowed by the midrange. 

Comparing the LCD-2 to Kneeljung's T50RP, the midrange was pushed back and was much better integrated with the rest of the spectrum. Things just felt more cohesive and natural. There is a much greater sense of air between the instruments (I can see some people preferring the creamier mids of the T50RP though), and soundstage was a good deal wider. It made for a less congested feel to the music, which helped out with music that needs a good deal of space conveyed. There is greater extension on both ends -- treble detail a bit more apparent on the LCD-2 and deeper sub-bass being produced on electronic and hip-hop tracks. Surprisingly, I think his T50RP had about 85%-ish of the bass impact (although I don't find the LCD-2s to be the bass monsters that other people make them out to be). Oh, I should mention that I have the Rev. 2 drivers. 

The LCD's certainly weren't 10 times better than the Fostex -- probably not even twice better. But they are unarguably better (not in a  "personal preferences" way either). The law of diminishing returns certainly comes into play with the price you pay though. They do share the same DNA, as the ortho drivers give off a very distinctive sound -- and if you're a fan of the naturalness and weight in the presentation, then you'll love the refinement offered by LCD-2. I can see myself being perfectly happy with a modded Fostex, which is what compelled me to pick up a pair after hearing them. 

Kneeljung gets my LCDs next, so maybe he can offer some impressions as well. He's had tons more experience with the T50RP than I have. 

Sep 15, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #2,524 of 11,345

Quote:
@mrspeakers: Does the Shure840 pads increase sound quality or just comfort?

Both to me, but there are others who like the feel of the stock pad more.  At $18 it's a pretty cheap experiment.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 15, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #2,525 of 11,345
iirc, someone did try dynamat Xtreme on the baffle, but decided that it wasn't an ideal pairing.  many more have used dX as the first layer on the earcup.. removed the silver foil, then stuck paxmate on top of that ... general recommendation is for newplast (plasticine, modeling clay) on the baffle... but ymmv.  keep in mind that overdamping isn't desirable either.

Quote:

I'm undecided on the material to mass load my baffles with. Most people have been using plasticine, but I have TONS of dynamat that is just sitting around. Dynamat seems to be denser, but harder to work with. Has anyone mass loaded their baffles with dynamat (or both)? ...

Sep 15, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #2,526 of 11,345
when I listened to the LCD 2, it sounded absolutely natural, the most natural can I've ever heard. As for neutrality? probably not the most neutral (electrostatics might win that), but no headphone (that I've heard) has the naturalness I heard in the LCD2. The T50rp can go a long way, but it cannot beat the LCD2, nor should it be able to, at 75$ vs 900$.

Sep 15, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #2,527 of 11,345

Quote:
Sure thing. I was able to compare Kneeljung's T50RP against my LCD-2. I'm not sure of his exact configuration, but the from what I could remember of his (compared to my stock ones now), the mids were much more forward. It was almost a reverse U-shaped curve. The bass had a lot more definition than stock configuration and more impact as well. The treble was detailed, but overshadowed by the midrange. 

Comparing the LCD-2 to Kneeljung's T50RP, the midrange was pushed back and was much better integrated with the rest of the spectrum. Things just felt more cohesive and natural. There is a much greater sense of air between the instruments (I can see some people preferring the creamier mids of the T50RP though), and soundstage was a good deal wider. It made for a less congested feel to the music, which helped out with music that needs a good deal of space conveyed. There is greater extension on both ends -- treble detail a bit more apparent on the LCD-2 and deeper sub-bass being produced on electronic and hip-hop tracks. Surprisingly, I think his T50RP had about 85%-ish of the bass impact (although I don't find the LCD-2s to be the bass monsters that other people make them out to be). Oh, I should mention that I have the Rev. 2 drivers. 

The LCD's certainly weren't 10 times better than the Fostex -- probably not even twice better. But they are unarguably better (not in a  "personal preferences" way either). The law of diminishing returns certainly comes into play with the price you pay though. They do share the same DNA, as the ortho drivers give off a very distinctive sound -- and if you're a fan of the naturalness and weight in the presentation, then you'll love the refinement offered by LCD-2. I can see myself being perfectly happy with a modded Fostex, which is what compelled me to pick up a pair after hearing them. 

Kneeljung gets my LCDs next, so maybe he can offer some impressions as well. He's had tons more experience with the T50RP than I have. 

thanks for taking the time to opine.

i think i have tuned/balanced my bass and treble to what i would consider near perfect, but i could see where people would want a little more treble.  also, i agree that there isn't a whole lot of air or soundstaging resulting in a "gated" recording effect.  the flip side is that every instrument sounds front and center.  i feel i'm getting pretty good instrument separation, but again, i can see where people could want more SS.  these are closed HPs after all.  i can see where an open LCD-2 would be superior in these areas and well worth the price of admission. 

these sound like a warm cuddly Grado, but much more natural and effortless sounding.  i'm also hearing recording details and important musical details that i've never heard before.  i was worried that these would be dynamically boring slugs.  instead, they pick apart the different musical lines in a song with instruments/musicians presented in a very natural, engaging manner.  i feel like i'm hearing real humans playing music in real time.  a lot of hi-fi glosses over the subtle dynamic shadings that are clues to the fact that there are actual humans creating the information in the bits and grooves.   

Sep 15, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #2,528 of 11,345
I added the 840 pads and HD580 headband. The headband is a large improvement in comfort. The 840 pads look nice and are comfortable. But they were a bitch to put on, the stitching ripped on both pads during installation.

Sep 15, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #2,529 of 11,345
Just put these things on five minutes ago. At first I was like "wth are these? '__' "

It is now apparent they have great potential. I understand now.... TO MODDING! (CHHAARRRGEE!)

Sep 15, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #2,530 of 11,345

Quote:
iirc, someone did try dynamat Xtreme on the baffle, but decided that it wasn't an ideal pairing.  many more have used dX as the first layer on the earcup.. removed the silver foil, then stuck paxmate on top of that ... general recommendation is for newplast (plasticine, modeling clay) on the baffle... but ymmv.  keep in mind that overdamping isn't desirable either.

Yup.  On the ear side of the baffle, you want something that will prevent sound from echoing around that chamber.  Dynamat (with foil, especially) will just increase those reflections.  Paxmate works great there, but I also had pretty good luck with a piece of suede with a hole where the driver is.

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #2,531 of 11,345

Quote:

I haven't made it all the way through this thread yet -- as I'm only on page 115 or so. I believe I got the gist of most of the mods, unless some huge revelations are taking place in the last 50 pages or so. 

This headphone was always on my radar, but eventually sorta lost interest. That was until Kneeljung loaned me his pair in which I decided I needed to get a pair to tinker with. 

I'll likely follow mrspeakers' template to begin with and then make small adjustments from there to suit my personal tastes. I got some Silverstone 4mm acoustic dampening foam (instead of Paxmate) because it was readily available on Amazon. I have Shure SRH840 pads coming next week as well. 

I'm undecided on the material to mass load my baffles with. Most people have been using plasticine, but I have TONS of dynamat that is just sitting around. Dynamat seems to be denser, but harder to work with. Has anyone mass loaded their baffles with dynamat (or both)? 

Really exciting stuff qh! I can't wait! However, personally the FA 00-3 pads attract me. I really like their look / build.

Sep 15, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #2,532 of 11,345
LLF says he got very good results with the Fisher pads.  Maybe a good price point between the O2 and the 840 for real leather?  Anyone have a good source?

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 15, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #2,533 of 11,345
Waiting for more "vs LCD2" impressions :D

In the meantime, here's my T50RPs on my stupendous headphone stand - once called a banana stand
biggrin.gif

Piece of leather 'strap' placed around the sandwiched pads to make it more stupendously appealing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back