Johnny Cash or Tom Waits?
Jan 8, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #17 of 46
What the h***?

Tom Waits, Cash, and Leonard Cohen are on constant rotation, not one of them could possibly pull off what others do, so all three are needed to "complete me"
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 11:17 AM Post #18 of 46
Tom Waits for me, but only if I am forced.

Love Cash's version of Hurt :)

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #19 of 46
I've never actually heard of Tom Waits and I'm currently trying to expand my musical tastes so today I picked up Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards Box Set, was this a good choice?

Jan 9, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dork Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never actually heard of Tom Waits and I'm currently trying to expand my musical tastes so today I picked up Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards Box Set, was this a good choice?

I haven't heard it, but since it's a group of tracks that didn't make other releases, probably not the best place to start. There are several Waits threads to recommend the essentials. For me Asylum Years & Beautiful Maladies: The Island Years for starting off. Explore from there.

I can't think of a single criteria Johnny Cash wouldn't come out on top, except for which I listen to more - Tom Waits.

Jan 9, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #22 of 46
I shall see how it goes this evening and if I like or I'm split on the album I will go for Asylum Years & Beautiful Maladies: The Island Years.

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #25 of 46
Tom Waits

Quote:

I shall see how it goes this evening and if I like or I'm split on the album I will go for Asylum Years & Beautiful Maladies: The Island Years.

Orphans is a great album, but it's not exactly the best place to start. also, my personal preference is to avoid "Greatest Hits" compilations, so my recommendation to you would be to pick up two albums which i think exemplify his early years and his middle years:

Rain Dogs
i personally think Waits' first three albums for Island Records are his very best (and i have them all). Rain Dogs is the easiest to start with. it's more experimental than his early years, and a bit more thematically unified than his later stuff (Bone Machine and beyond).

Small Change
this was his fourth album for Asylum Records. while there are others that i listen to more, i think this one has a good balance of his various styles and themes from his early years, and several songs you won't be able to get out of your head.

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #26 of 46
I know another guy with initials of JC. Need I say more? (I'm only kidding by the way. He was great, but not the second coming.)

Tom Waits is pretty cool too, but I guess I've never given him enough of a chance to really catch the buzz.

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #27 of 46
Excellent, some more recommendations.

This place can even cost you a small fortune on music recommendations
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #28 of 46
Quote:

Excellent, some more recommendations.

This place can even cost you a small fortune on music recommendations
wink.gif

oh, you want to buy more? why didn't you say so!

after those two, get these (in any order, or all at once):

Swordfishtrombones
Frank's Wild Years
together, these two albums complete what i like to call Tom Waits' holy trinity of albums for Island Records. each of the three is stunningly brilliant.

Closing Time
his debut album. sounds different from any other subsequent album. it has a country-tinged folksy balladeer feel. a beautiful album, but very straightforward and unlike any of his other releases.

Nighthawks at the Diner
His third album. invited a bunch of friends into the studio for a live-to-tape recording session. very jazzy and anecdotal.

Mule Variations
Alice
Blood Money
The best of his later period output, with Bone Machine trailing close behind. i also like The Black Rider, but opinions seem to be divided on that one.

Jan 9, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #29 of 46
:lol: Thanks for the recommendations VicAjax, my last reply was meant for you saying "Excellent, some more recommendations." to the ones you had posted.

Currently on the first CD (track 7 - Lucinda) of Orphans and so far so good, the only issue I've found so far is that Track 2 (I think it was track 2) he seemed to be, how can I try and explain it - He seemed as if he had something covering the mic, perhaps not the best explanation, where his vocals didn't seem clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back