JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV
Mar 1, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #1,893 of 1,931
As much as I love technical abilities of 12 drivers in Layla, I do feel it is not near the announced “how the Artist and Mix Engineer intended” :) .. But the guys over Capitol Studios surely knows what it is all about and their UERR is closer to accurate sounding in ear monitor.

Because I love UERR frequency response, but I still love Layla as technically very capable CIEM, I decided to play a little with Layla and with ‘amateur’ measurement device I spent some hours to do a equalisation tuning and force Layla to ‘sound like’ UERR… and viola! :)

This is kind of amazing. :) Take this measurements with grain of salt, they are not done with certified or calibrated device, but unless both CIEMs were measured under same conditions, this just works for now :wink:

Layla sounds now very similar to my UERR, just with different soundstage and other advantages of 12 drivers. 

I would love to check what are the possibilities to build up (DIY) small portable device - powerful equaliser with the ability to store or upload the profiles of pre-measured CIEMs - to let them sound like ‘something’ else. Haha this could be fun!

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #1,894 of 1,931
That is some pretty good EQ'ing. Did you EQ it by ear or by measurements? 

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #1,896 of 1,931
  That is some pretty good EQ'ing. Did you EQ it by ear or by measurements? 

yes with about 150 measurements. :)

I will not be able to get such accurate FR just by ear. it was pain in the a** to get that close to UERR.

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #1,897 of 1,931
Impressive that you took the time to do that, looks like alot of work. I use the same EQ btw. I don't know many people who use this plugin too. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #1,898 of 1,931
  As much as I love technical abilities of 12 drivers in Layla, I do feel it is not near the announced “how the Artist and Mix Engineer intended” :) .. But the guys over Capitol Studios surely knows what it is all about and their UERR is closer to accurate sounding in ear monitor.

Because I love UERR frequency response, but I still love Layla as technically very capable CIEM, I decided to play a little with Layla and with ‘amateur’ measurement device I spent some hours to do a equalisation tuning and force Layla to ‘sound like’ UERR… and viola! :)

This is kind of amazing. :) Take this measurements with grain of salt, they are not done with certified or calibrated device, but unless both CIEMs were measured under same conditions, this just works for now :wink:

Layla sounds now very similar to my UERR, just with different soundstage and other advantages of 12 drivers. 

I would love to check what are the possibilities to build up (DIY) small portable device - powerful equaliser with the ability to store or upload the profiles of pre-measured CIEMs - to let them sound like ‘something’ else. Haha this could be fun!

Now you're talking.

I would first check, however, even the response of UERR with a sweep before taking it as an absolute reference. Your eq settings do roughly adress Layla's problematic areas, but also differ here and there from my own.

Besides that they do prove how far actually Layla is from having a flat response. They are nowhere near that. BUT, once properly compensated with a good eq they are simply amazing. But only after that IME. The factory tuning don't do them justice at all, properly tuning will make a world of difference. 

Anyway, why the need of adding two eqs? I believe Pro-Q has enough bands to handle everything in one instance.

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #1,900 of 1,931
  yes with about 150 measurements. :)

I will not be able to get such accurate FR just by ear. it was pain in the a** to get that close to UERR.

Nice work!  How did you physically model the ear canal so your microphone could pick up the outputs of the IEMs as they're heard by the ear?  What mic did you use for your measurements?  I've always been curious how this is done outside of a lab.  

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #1,901 of 1,931
  As much as I love technical abilities of 12 drivers in Layla, I do feel it is not near the announced “how the Artist and Mix Engineer intended” :) .. 

The engineers intend for the mix to be heard through an array of systems, but best of all on a hifi home audio system.  Often, mixes will sound a little bit bland on reference monitors, as most car and home audio systems plaster their disco smile on the mix lol.

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #1,903 of 1,931
Jul 22, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #1,905 of 1,931
You heard the Zeus moedawg which one do you prefer the Zeus or the laylas???

Great question. I will not be able to answer until at least I fully burn in the Layla and listen to the Zeus and Zeus Remastered back to back to back. :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back