JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV
May 8, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #1,712 of 1,931
AK100ii has finally landed. Plugged in the Layla and
basshead.gif

May 8, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #1,714 of 1,931

Actually on Layla it's not a fixed point, because it sounds different on different sources. So, it has different positions for the, let's call it, 'flat compared to the low mids' position. Straight from the iPhone, that's at 12 o'clock. From other sources it might be 1 etc. Anyway, at minimum it's probably not flat but quite recessed. I don't know exactly by how much, I never even tried that since I don't need such a sound.

Layla comments from an owners perspective:

First I just wanted to thank Tumburu publicly!

His contributions to this thread have been "invaluable". As the owner of the Layla's (I've had them about 6 weeks) with the adjustments and guidance I've received from tumburu he has truly brought me much closer to what it means to have a "Reference Sound ".  This was particularly important for me to get the Layla as close to a reference sound as a baseline before I put my adjustments "twist" on the sound. As I like a little bit more bottom. I've finally got my Layla's "dialed-in".  Honestly I have to say they are really AMAZING!!!.

Some people have mentioned the "Reference Sound" as boring, not engaging flat or other colorful adjectives.  I would say the reference sound is essentially the basis for what something should sound like.  Over emphasized , lows, mids, or highs all have trade-offs that effect the musically, accuracy, instrumentation expression and ultimate the representation of the music as it was intended by the artist and fatefully represented by the sound engineers.  As tumburu mentioned the Layla's "out of the box" are a bit oddly tuned and again out of the box they are not reference and I agree. Out of the box the mids are a bit veiled and they do sound a bit mid recessed. But once you dialed-in these puppies in they are "Phenomenal".    

As I've had /heard for extended listening times the JH13 FP, JH16FP, Roxanne, Nobel K-10's, Shure SE-846's and a few of the top models from UE.  These are the best and baddest pair of IEM's I've had to date!!!  I can't agree with some that claim the sound is "as good" as a full size set of cans like the HE-1000's or the Fostex TH-900.  I can say they really sound amazing for what they are.  A really great pair of IEM.    

The technology and sound research that goes into these IEM is nothing short of amazing.

Sincerely,
-Speed 

May 8, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #1,715 of 1,931

His contributions to this thread have been "invaluable". As the owner of the Layla's (I've had them about 6 weeks) with the adjustments and guidance I've received from tumburu he has truly brought me much closer to what it means to have a "Reference Sound ".  This was particularly important for me to get the Layla as close to a reference sound as a baseline before I put my adjustments "twist" on the sound. As I like a little bit more bottom. I've finally got my Layla's "dialed-in".  Honestly I have to say they are really AMAZING!!!.

Some people have mentioned the "Reference Sound" as boring, not engaging flat or other colorful adjectives.  I would say the reference sound is essentially the basis for what something should sound like.  Over emphasized , lows, mids, or highs all have trade-offs that effect the musically, accuracy, instrumentation expression and ultimate the representation of the music as it was intended by the artist and fatefully represented by the sound engineers.  As tumburu mentioned the Layla's "out of the box" are a bit oddly tuned and again out of the box they are not reference and I agree. Out of the box the mids are a bit veiled and they do sound a bit mid recessed. But once you dialed-in these puppies in they are "Phenomenal".    

As I've had /heard for extended listening times the JH13 FP, JH16FP, Roxanne, Nobel K-10's, Shure SE-846's and a few of the top models from UE.  These are the best and baddest pair of IEM's I've had to date!!!  I can't agree with some that claim the sound is "as good" as a full size set of cans like the HE-1000's or the Fostex TH-900.  I can say they really sound amazing for what they are.  A really great pair of IEM.    

The technology and sound research that goes into these IEM is nothing short of amazing.

Sincerely,
-Speed 

+1 Couldn't agree with you more.  

I do have one warning for owners.  I've had my Layla's for about 8 weeks.  When I first received them, I flipped between the standard and balanced cables several times.  For the past 6 weeks, I have been using Layla's daily and love them.  I use them far more than any of my other IEMs.  On a flight yesterday I noticed that the cable going to my left monitor was shorting out.  I couldn't quite figure out where.  So I ended up just putting my Layla's back into my backpack.  This morning, I pulled out my Layla's and the left monitor fell off into my hand.  I freaked out!  I realized that the shorting out I experienced was not associated with the physical cable but that the connection with the Layla had loosened to the point where it disconnected.  I damn near lost my left IEM.  After screwing the cable back in I was back in heaven.

The lesson here is to occasionally check your cable connection.

May 8, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #1,716 of 1,931

+1 Couldn't agree with you more.  

I do have one warning for owners.  I've had my Layla's for about 8 weeks.  When I first received them, I flipped between the standard and balanced cables several times.  For the past 6 weeks, I have been using Layla's daily and love them.  I use them far more than any of my other IEMs.  On a flight yesterday I noticed that the cable going to my left monitor was shorting out.  I couldn't quite figure out where.  So I ended up just putting my Layla's back into my backpack.  This morning, I pulled out my Layla's and the left monitor fell off into my hand.  I freaked out!  I realized that the shorting out I experienced was not associated with the physical cable but that the connection with the Layla had loosened to the point where it disconnected.  I damn near lost my left IEM.  After screwing the cable back in I was back in heaven.

The lesson here is to occasionally check your cable connection.

same thing happens with my hifiman cans, the connections loosten and unscrew slowly over time. Just don't overtighten! make them snug and check them every so often.

May 8, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #1,717 of 1,931
I was listening to my LCD-X and ingeneral, found them to be somewhat of a big brother to the Angies.  Whatever the X gives,, the Angie seems to be a convenient substitute for on the go.
On another note, I'm wondering if the Angies should have a split-off thread of its own?
Oh yeah, for the 846s, the modded blues do change the sound sig., in more high-end without losing the bass unlike the whites.  I just didn't get the bass feel as much from the 8s as from the Angies.
I even passed my 8s to my older son.

May 8, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #1,718 of 1,931
I was listening to my LCD-X and ingeneral, found them to be somewhat of a big brother to the Angies.  Whatever the X gives,, the Angie seems to be a convenient substitute for on the go.
On another note, I'm wondering if the Angies should have a split-off thread of its own?
Oh yeah, for the 846s, the modded blues do change the sound sig., in more high-end without losing the bass unlike the whites.  I just didn't get the bass feel as much from the 8s as from the Angies.

Lucky guy! :)

May 8, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #1,719 of 1,931

Sincerely,
-Speed 

Really glad to help.

I agree with your observation that the reference should be the starting point in any tuning and admit that the guilty pleasure of having a touch more bass to that could be enjoyable indeed. I'm glad to hear you are happy with the sound you have now, because I am too and although I didn't 'heard 'em all', after I did my digital tuning, there's little left to desire from a pair of IEMs and the only thing that would beat them is simply a pair that would sound like this out of the box (which is a pretty tough task and I don't expect to see that very soon).

May 8, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #1,720 of 1,931

I started an Angie's impressions thread HERE

May 14, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #1,722 of 1,931

You know, since yesterday it's hard to stop listening to them. All the tasty mids are there now, together with those big and robust lows and the adequately tamed but extended highs. It's what I expected to hear in the first place. Indeed you really need to know your way around eq to achieve that (considering how picky the Layla is thus sounding different on most sources, for instance the heavily corrected highs don't have to be so heavily tamed on the iPhone).

I suppose the drivers are really technically capable, they are just oddly tuned. Or maybe they can't do better, they just need an eq to help them giving their best.

It's really a disappointment that the Layla's are oddly tuned. My hope was to be able to use these as part of an ultra compact portable system, besides home/office usage. The poor tuning will necessitate the usage of a good equalizer---which is virtually un-doable for portable applications unless someone I know nothing about produces a good compact equalizer. I may be forced to reconsider the Ultimate Ears Pro Reference Monitors (UERM's) now.

What's the point of making a "reference" IEM if you have to drag an equalizer around with it?

May 14, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #1,723 of 1,931
Regarding the angie vs Roxanne:

I do find vocals and mids somewhat emphasized on the angie, but overall is is a very refined presentation. Particularly the sound as a whole is very clean and clear, and the treble is the best I have heard in an iem, including the jh13, se846, and Roxanne. The Roxanne has a splashy sparkle which can sometimes turn sibilant, but not harsh like I found the se846 at times due to the upper mids/lower treble.

The angie is completely unoffensive while still being extended and not rolled off to my ears. The most impressive things I find that jh audio does is how his iems seem to do opposite things at the same time. Paradoxically they are Clear and extended highs without peaks or harshness, lush mids yet clear and clean, tight articulate bass that still can slam, and analytical yet musical. That is how I found my jh13s and how I am finding the angies as well.

as much as I found the roxannes to be an upgrade over the se846, I have found the angie to be an upgrade to the Roxanne for my preference, and I would think in most technical terms.

all models referenced were the universals.

May 14, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #1,725 of 1,931
Today I buy Angie. I will receive in 5 or 6 days.

Thank you for people who giving impressions and opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back