JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV
May 1, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #1,652 of 1,931
I dont think mine default at 12 hours. It was 2 hours if I remember correctly. I have not tried 12 hours position as I heard too much bass at 2 hours position, I turned it all the way down to minimal.

Yes, Roxanne is a basshead iem. The bass texture and PRaT are better than Angie to my ears.

Hello midnighwalker again. Thank you for reply.

I don't understand very good your post. Is 12 o'clock the more low position of bass and 2 o'clock the more high? Isn't possible 11, 10, 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock position? How many positions for bass Angie has? And what is reference position? I can't remembering now but I think I reading before in last year Roxanne in the more low position is little strong bass still or not enough neutral or the more low position is neutral really and after this is always bass strong.

May 1, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #1,653 of 1,931
I'm no longer interested in buying an Angie at this time, regardless of SQ. Certainly don't want to deal with this kind of headache. I'm sure it's a pain for the dealers too.

Hello shotgunshane.

Do you thinking buying Angie before and now not? Can you reviewing the sound please soon maybe? I think you receive Layla for review before and you not buy this iem? Can you receive Angie for review too? I think you have UERM and if you comparing with Angie please is important for me. Thank you.

May 1, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #1,654 of 1,931
7 o'clock is the lowest setting and 5 o'clock is the maximum setting. 12 o'clock would be directly in the middle.

May 1, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #1,655 of 1,931
7 o'clock is the lowest setting and 5 o'clock is the maximum setting. 12 o'clock would be directly in the middle.

Thank you for reply x RELIC x.

One question important please, is 7 o'clock or 12 o'clock reference setting?

May 1, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #1,656 of 1,931
That's difficult answer as the source will have a large impact on what is considered reference. I'm demoing the Cayin N6 right now and own the FiiO X5. Although they use the same DAC chip (N6 is a dual DAC implementation) and have similar amplification specs the N6 is much warmer than the X5. The bass control on the Angie for me needs to be at 2 o'clock with the X5 and around 11 o'clock with the N6.

JH/AK market that 7 o'clock is reference though. For me having the bass tuned to the minimum is too dry and anemic. There's not much life in the music at the lowest setting for me. Again, it's very source dependent and the Angie's are very transparent to the source I'm finding.

May 1, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #1,657 of 1,931
Interesting observation for HA-1 owners. The Angie has zero hiss with the HA-1!! I'm very VERY surprised by this as the output of the HA-1 is quite high and the efficiency of the Angie is also very high. There is also no channel imbalance at low volumes and plenty of room for volume control. The combo is quite the match actually. Very dynamic and revealing.

Target volume being around 85 db average at the ear.

May 1, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #1,658 of 1,931
Hello shotgunshane.

Do you thinking buying Angie before and now not? Can you reviewing the sound please soon maybe? I think you receive Layla for review before and you not buy this iem? Can you receive Angie for review too? I think you have UERM and if you comparing with Angie please is important for me. Thank you.

I had considered buying one to try it out but I think I'll put that off for now. I probably won't get a chance to hear them unless some kind of audio show comes to Atlanta or a local head-fier has one and meets up. Maybe JH Audio will be interested in sending me a review loaner :p

May 2, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #1,659 of 1,931
I have zero motives to defend JHA. I honestly don't care about them, but I just wanted you guys to know something I've experienced.

The comparison pics of the two different Angie's is obviously bad/shocking and terrible, but do keep in mind that if you want uniformity (something that looks exaclty the same) there is nothing that can beat mass produced. You can get $5 earbuds stamped out in some foreign factory and 99.99999% of them will look exactly the same. When you get into true "hand build luxury items" you notice a lot of flaws and uneveness. I think it's just the nature of the beast/the human factor that's missing in almost 99% of products out there since everything we own in stamped out in a factory.

I used to be into collecting luxury watches, like over $10,000+ watches and many of the hand built boutique watches had similar "hand built" flaws that a $10 Mickey Mouse watch didn't. An example of this would be dust inside the sealed face of the watch or faceplates of the watch having certain flaws or looking different. They were built by some of the best swiss handmade pretigious companies in the world. Same goes for watch straps. You can buy a cheap plastic strap and it'll virtually be identical to it's brothers, but if you buy a $900 hand sown watch strap made from the best leathers and threads in the world, crafted by legendary craftsman in France every piece will look different and often the stitching will be uneven or even not to mention the thickness and cut of the strap will sometimes look odd/wrong. It just looks like some human built it and not a machine.

Honestly to avoid this problem JHA should just get their universal IEM shells stamped out a factory and be done with it. Cheaper for them and no complaints

I personally like these little quarks and uneveness because I know at the high end luxury hand made products are all like this. I used to own $30,000+ watches that were less accurate than a $10 Mickey Mouse quartz watch, not to mention how it looks different from it's brothers because of the human factor. Funny but true is that Rolex (which is considered mid-tiered/mid-market) is less accurate than almost all quartz watches you find by a huge margin. And by quartz I mean just cheap ass digital clocks you see everywhere, on walls and in cars and on the wrists of little kids. A Rolex will be off many more seconds and or minutes and week or month than all wall clocks, not to mention the regular servicing you need instead of just replacing the battery.

I have zero motives to defend JHA. I honestly don't care about them (give a rats ass about them), and I do think the two Angies are bordering on how far you can take the concept of handbuilt flaws, but I just wanted you guys to know something I've experienced. JHA seems fairly responsive to consumer requests for exchanges. Just get them swtiched out, but even your next pair won't be 100% identical. I know my Laylas are certainly not.

May 2, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #1,661 of 1,931
Also guys, I hate to bring this out again, but my manual for Layla says that 12'o clock is for +0 db of bass gain. It does say the entire range of bass adjustment is + or - 15db. The only logical conclusion is that 7 o'clock is actually - 7.5db bass from neutral and that max is +7.5db from neutral.

Either that or there was a misprint on the manual or I cannot read/comprehend English (my native language). I do realize that Jude has said publicly that 7 o'clock is zero db bass gain/neutral bass. But that leaves the question of the actual manual that's included... I'm confused. To me 12 o'clock sounds just about right for neutral.

May 2, 2015 at 12:23 AM Post #1,662 of 1,931
Not sure on the new Sirens series, but when I spoke to Jerry way back in Mook Headphone festival in 2013 when they just launched Roxanne, he told me that the bass adjustment starts from -1dB at 8 o'clock, becomes 0dB at 9 o'clock and becomes like JH16 bass level at 4 o'clock

May 2, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #1,663 of 1,931
Also guys, I hate to bring this out again, but my manual for Layla says that 12'o clock is for +0 db of bass gain. It does say the entire range of bass adjustment is + or - 15db. The only logical conclusion is that 7 o'clock is actually - 7.5db bass from neutral and that max is +7.5db from neutral.

Either that or there was a misprint on the manual or I cannot read/comprehend English (my native language). I do realize that Jude has said publicly that 7 o'clock is zero db bass gain/neutral bass. But that leaves the question of the actual manual that's included... I'm confused. To me 12 o'clock sounds just about right for neutral.

My paperwork says Angie has quad low, quad mid, and quad high drivers with adjustable bass from 0 to +15db. Clearly not accurate. Are there fakes?

May 2, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #1,664 of 1,931
My paperwork says Angie has quad low, quad mid, and quad high drivers with adjustable bass from 0 to +15db. Clearly not accurate. Are there fakes?

This is odd, because that's for the Roxanne not the Angie.

May 2, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #1,665 of 1,931
This is odd, because that's for the Roxanne not the Angie.

The pic clearly says 'About Angie'. Who's printing these things?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back