JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV
Apr 29, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #1,591 of 1,931

Soundwise my first complaints in comparison with the universal Layla were MAYBE spoken too early.
These two sounds very different, and with my first custom impressions my ear was too used to mid forward universals.
Customs at the end seems to be much more balanced, and closer to the 'reference sound'. Layla universals are somehow 'over excited' on higher mids, which I believe results in fake clarity.

Well, the Layla U are anything but mid forward. And anything but 'reference sound'.

I did my third eq session on these and I can tell now that I have a completely different IEM.

I won't share my settings, I don't think JH deserves to receive them for free but I can say they are truly reference sounding now. I won't go into too much details to describe the difference, I'll only say that the original sound is very far from what I achieved; 12 bands of very surgical eq were needed to achieve what they claim to deliver in the first place.

Honestly, if I were them I would be ashamed to come with those claims and have the customers discover a completely different reality. I believe that the marketing non-sense about these IEMs being mastering grade should be erased from their website. And they should go and listen to some reference sounding speaker. The Layla's 'stock' sound does not resemble that in any way.

After three serious session of eq tuning, what I have now could be called reference sounding, and I do believe that Layla could be a much better product; all these corrections were needed because of the very odd tuning of the low-mids, which are over-emphasized, making the high mids recessed and the treble stand out, but not because the treble is boosted too much (not more than 3dBs at most at 8kHz) but because they come after that lacking high mids and the difference is so big. If the low mids would be lower in volume, the bass being adjustable, one could make a good balance between the two registers and the high mids would come more natural. But maybe a 4th way could be needed for that to be possible (to separate the low mids from the hi mids), I'm not sure the existing mid drivers could be tuned so accurately without eq.

I think I should have them sent back, but now I'm very content with the way I could make them sound and I have to admit, I never heard a headphone tuned so similar to studio monitors. You get the same sound, but can hear everything in a different scale of detail. The tone is almost the same, so when you switch to them from the speakers you get the feeling you have a microscope over the whole spectrum of the music, nothing seems to escape now from what one hears. It is exactly what one should expect from pro HPs.

I still have to do some work on them, these conclusions are coming only from listening to music, but so far it's looking good.

So I do think Layla can be a really good tool for a pro, but with a lot of work, not right out of the box. You have to really know how to use an eq, and I don't know who would want to spend 2500 bucks and then spend days of tuning to have a usable sound.

Apr 29, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #1,592 of 1,931

Well, the Layla U are anything but mid forward. And anything but 'reference sound'.

I did my third eq session on these and I can tell now that I have a completely different IEM.

I won't share my settings, I don't think JH deserves to receive them for free but I can say they are truly reference sounding now. I won't go into too much details to describe the difference, I'll only say that the original sound is very far from what I achieved; 12 bands of very surgical eq were needed to achieve what they claim to deliver in the first place.

Honestly, if I were them I would be ashamed to come with those claims and have the customers discover a completely different reality. I believe that the marketing non-sense about these IEMs being mastering grade should be erased from their website. And they should go and listen to some reference sounding speaker. The Layla's 'stock' sound does not resemble that in any way.

After three serious session of eq tuning, what I have now could be called reference sounding, and I do believe that Layla could be a much better product; all these corrections were needed because of the very odd tuning of the low-mids, which are over-emphasized, making the high mids recessed and the treble stand out, but not because the treble is boosted too much (not more than 3dBs at most at 8kHz) but because they come after that lacking high mids and the difference is so big. If the low mids would be lower in volume, the bass being adjustable, one could make a good balance between the two registers and the high mids would come more natural. But maybe a 4th way could be needed for that to be possible (to separate the low mids from the hi mids), I'm not sure the existing mid drivers could be tuned so accurately without eq.

I think I should have them sent back, but now I'm very content with the way I could make them sound and I have to admit, I never heard a headphone tuned so similar to studio monitors. You get the same sound, but can hear everything in a different scale of detail. The tone is almost the same, so when you switch to them from the speakers you get the feeling you have a microscope over the whole spectrum of the music, nothing seems to escape now from what one hears. It is exactly what one should expect from pro HPs.

I still have to do some work on them, these conclusions are coming only from listening to music, but so far it's looking good.

So I do think Layla can be a really good tool for a pro, but with a lot of work, not right out of the box. You have to really know how to use an eq, and I don't know who would want to spend 2500 bucks and then spend days of tuning to have a usable sound.

Charge JHA big time for your adjustments!

So you feel you have them both reference quality and much more enjoyable now?

Apr 29, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #1,593 of 1,931
Well, I don't think they care about that, and I'm only interested in having tools that I can trust to do my job.

Regarding how enjoyable they are; with properly produced music they sound heavenly, but with not so stellar productions you will both smile and raise an eyebrow at the same time. One can hear now the flaws of the listening systems the music was produced on, like: 'oh, they didn't hear that odd frequency of the hi-hats', or 'how mono that thing sounds' that becomes very obvious etc etc. I'd say this kind of tuning is certainly not for everyone as it exceeds in resolution some of the systems the music was produced on, so that you're not hearing what they heard in the studio, you hear the music just as it is. It's a tuning for the discerning listener, and it will surely make you appreciate and love even more some great recordings that maybe you were never fully aware how great they are.

Apr 29, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #1,594 of 1,931
I have to disagree with your last point though. It seems that much more people are buying the Angie than the Layla as would be expected given the price. 

Yes, before I think the same like you, people buy Angie more because of price but I see more opinions and reviews of Layla. I think more people want spending $2500 because they thinking Layla is the best iem. Maybe now with not very good opinions of Layla Angie selling better.

Apr 29, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #1,596 of 1,931
Hello goodvibes.

I don't want be negative, I see changes in opinions of Layla fast recently. I think jh13, Westone es5, Unique Melody Miracle and UERM always majority of people have many good opinions and not changing after. I thinking problem with Layla now is what tumburu and shotgunshane saying is true, Layla isn't reference iem really, maybe very good iem and fun yes but not reference or flat or neutral like people thinking before. I'm interesting in Layla before exactly because I'm thinking Layla was perfect reference iem. I hope Angie is very near reference.

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #1,597 of 1,931
I am still interested in hearing the Layla's ever review that has been done so far that I have read, has all been done with portable audio or laptops as the source. I would like to see a review done by someone were it is actually used for it's intended purposes with pro recording equipment.

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #1,598 of 1,931

I noticed that also, the Layla seemed to be near perfection from initial impressions. Perfectly neutral with no flaws. Everything on the recording, etc. 

Now it seems that the Layla is colored compared to the Angie, having to be fixed with EQ, and with a hazy midrange. 

I guess it can be chalked up to FOTM hype? I have no idea but I wish I could  hear them myself because I seriously don't get a good picture by the wide variety of impressions. Actually, I'm more interested in the A12, but would still like to hear the Layla and maybe the Angie too. 

I have to disagree with your last point though. It seems that much more people are buying the Angie than the Layla as would be expected given the price. 

In my case, that's because I've said all I've had to say about the the Layla's that wouldn't be already covered in my Headphone.guru review. 
smile.gif
 They are simply the best IEMs I've heard by far and they compete with all of my TOTL full sized headphones not named "SR-009"...are they reference...most definitely to my ears! No closed full sized headphone I've owned (and I've had quite the sampling) have come close to the transparency, openness and clarity of them! 

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #1,599 of 1,931
  I am still interested in hearing the Layla's ever review that has been done so far that I have read, has all been done with portable audio or laptops as the source. I would like to see a review done by someone were it is actually used for it's intended purposes with pro recording equipment.

That's not it's intended market. Way too small. It's an addressed market with that intended capability.

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #1,600 of 1,931
Alright, so I don't mean to **** on everyone's parade or anything but I've got two pairs of Angies here that have completely different build characteristics and I think prospective buyers need to know about this before pledging their money. And I think along with so many others here, that JH SERIOUSLY needs to get a handle on their QC. Believe me, if you could see the two next to one another in person. You’d swear one was a cheap knock off of the other. There is no comparison between the two, it’s not a simple matter of “oh they look different.” It looks like whomever assembled this new pair received no training whatsoever. JH should honestly be ashamed to take pride in the fact that these are "handmade in the USA." It reflects so poorly on a history of proud craftsmanship. They need to be more picky with whom they hire for sure. 

Here's a set of Angie's I have received today compared to another set:

Notice how physically larger the set on the left looks compared to the right, and how the sound tube is far longer. 

Notice how the carbon fibre weave on the bottom set looks completely slipshod compared to the one on top: 

Another shot of the ugly CF weave (I can't even call this a weave, it's like some kid took a thirty minute basket weaving course and JH stuck him on an Angie station building monitors): 

Notice how the CF is just haphazardly jammed in there (made in the USA? Is this how low we've sunk?):

Just awful: 

Not even the bass pot adjustment tools are similar!:

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #1,601 of 1,931
  Alright, so I don't mean to **** on everyone's parade or anything but I've got two pairs of Angies here that have completely different build characteristics and I think prospective buyers need to know about this before pledging their money. And I think along with so many others here, that JH SERIOUSLY needs to get a handle on their QC. Believe me, if you could see the two next to one another in person. You’d swear one was a cheap knock off of the other. There is no comparison between the two, it’s not a simple matter of “oh they look different.” It looks like whomever assembled this new pair received no training whatsoever. JH should honestly be ashamed to take pride in the fact that these are "handmade in the USA." It reflects so poorly on a history of proud craftsmanship. They need to be more picky with whom they hire for sure. 

Here's a set of Angie's I have received today compared to another set:

Notice how physically larger the set on the left looks compared to the right, and how the sound tube is far longer. 

Notice how the carbon fibre weave on the bottom set looks completely slipshod compared to the one on top: 

Another shot of the ugly CF weave (I can't even call this a weave, it's like some kid took a thirty minute basket weaving course and JH stuck him on an Angie station building monitors): 

Notice how the CF is just haphazardly jammed in there (made in the USA? Is this how low we've sunk?):

Just awful: 

Not even the bass pot adjustment tools are similar!:

Wow, one might even think there are fake Angie knock-offs in the market with that ****ty build lol
If i'm you i'd send it right back to them and ask them to rebuild from scratch. Very inexcusable...

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #1,603 of 1,931

In my case, that's because I've said all I've had to say about the the Layla's that wouldn't be already covered in my Headphone.guru review. 
smile.gif
 They are simply the best IEMs I've heard by far and they compete with all of my TOTL full sized headphones not named "SR-009"...are they reference...most definitely to my ears! No closed full sized headphone I've owned (and I've had quite the sampling) have come close to the transparency, openness and clarity of them! 

Well, reference is not supposed to be something subjective. It should measure flat. End of story.

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #1,604 of 1,931
  That's what happens when small companies are under the gun to get there products out to meet demand. That is terrible is there a QC and inspection card signed in the box?

Small companies? Aurisonics are tiny and EarWerkz are practically nobodies at the moment and both churn out products that are practically immaculate in comparison. This has been an issue with JH for like... forever now. I mean you keep reading these forums and thinking, "oh, that'll never happen to me" and then it does. So JH has got EVEN MORE Siren models on the way? How about you guys over at JH address what's wrong NOW instead of continually botching things? I'm going to be honest here, that other pair in the pictures I snapped? It has HORRIBLE channel imbalance. I've had a friend post on my behalf on another forum about my experiences with this other pair as he wanted to gather honest impressions. I was unsure as to whether the other pair was botched to begin with so I never posted about it here since I was afraid it was simply a seal issue, or crossover burn in or any number of variables. Also, if you spend enough time with anything, your brain starts to adjust to it. Well, this new pair arrived today, and sure enough, within seconds, it was verified that the first pair was irrevocably damaged. So not only can JH not seemingly craft monitors with any degree of consistency, but sometimes, their products DON'T EVEN WORK. The crazy thing is, there's another person on this other forum who has expressed a similar sentiment that their pair has a channel imbalance as well. If this person NEVER hears a second pair, it is entirely possible that they may have similarly defective goods, and will have to live with faulty monitors if they can't verify it. 

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #1,605 of 1,931
Some others have had problems with there custom Layla's quality also and them sending out the wrong carrying case. For what they are charging they better be perfect. I would be pissed and on the phone so fast with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back