JH Audio Layla and Angie - Head-Fi TV
Dec 18, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #19 of 1,931
It's not a driver war... it's a price war.. 
getting more ridiculous as years go by..

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #22 of 1,931
My JH13pro is being service as we speak and I'll continue to use mine as long as JH audio is able to repair them.  $2500 is such a large sum of money for a universal fit earphones.  I don't doubt at all that it gotta sound great, but you are approaching Stax headphones at that price point.  So now the AK240+top flight JH IEMs will have the total pricetag of 5k.

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #23 of 1,931
Thanks Jude, for the well-spoken introduction to the Layla and Angie!  It would be nice if JH Audio/Astell & Kern will be at CanJam in March with both the Layla and Angie in tow for auditions!  *Crosses fingers*

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #24 of 1,931
  I can see why they cost $2500 some models of a single  balanced armatures cost $50 or more a piece, but I am sure JH Audio gets them a lot cheaper for buying in bulk. The more BA's doesn't mean its going to sound better, look at the UERM's they only have 3 drivers and there are one of the best sounding monitors in my opinion. I cant believe they can fit all those ba's and a crossover network in a shell.

I had the Roxanne's for about three days and sent them back, heavy and I achieve better coherence with a three driver Earsonic (IMO). 

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #26 of 1,931
  It's not a driver war... it's a price war.. 
getting more ridiculous as years go by..

TBH here the Angie is very well priced. Quite possibly the best deal out there on any 8 driver universal iem. Considering that the Shure SE846 (quad driver) is priced at $999, AKG K3003 which has been out for a while still at $1299 to name a few, the Angie is an absolute steal, especially if the final product is as good as Jude says the preproduction model is. Obviously not going to be as good as the Layla, but that's priced in another league.

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #27 of 1,931
  TBH here the Angie is very well priced. Quite possibly the best deal out there on any 8 driver universal iem. Considering that the Shure SE846 (quad driver) is priced at $999, AKG K3003 which has been out for a while still at $1299 to name a few, the Angie is an absolute steal, especially if the final product is as good as Jude says the preproduction model is. Obviously not going to be as good as the Layla, but that's priced in another league.

Still need to see if it compares with the 1964 Ears U8 with Adel - they are natural competitors - both home grown (USA) 8 Driver Universals.....

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #28 of 1,931
What needs to happen is a synergy of DAP and IEM - coming from the same manufacturer - so that you have a 3-way system eschewing crossovers comprised of resistors and caps - but 6 thinner wires for each side - positive and negative for each of three signals - and have the frequency splitting done electronically onboard the DAP - you could even have switchable crossover points - and each positive/negative pair of wires could feasibly supply signal to one BA driver, 2 drivers, 4 drivers, etc - without the freaky phase issues. My experience in home and mobile audio has taught me that an electronic crossover (powered)  is vastly superior to passive (unpowered) crossovers - THAT would be worth $5-$10K. 

**Patent Pending**

Dec 19, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #30 of 1,931

I was referring to Layla, but yes Angie is still decently priced. Honestly when it comes to IEMS above the $1000 range, the technical differences is subtle and sound signature preferences comes to play.
And i trust reviews from impartial normal headfiers more. So it'll be a while before that happens.

Final Audio Design makes a $3.5K earbud :p

FAD is more about luxury and bling bling designs. I've heard IEMs that cost 1/2 price that sounds as good if not better. I'm sure my statement will draw in all the defensive hordes of FADnatics :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back