JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Jun 10, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #3,016 of 3,787
Hi guys,
So I received my JH16s a week ago, and thought I'd write a review of the whole process, and what I think of the CIEMs.

Firstly, the staff @ JH Audio are incredibly helpful. I received my in-ears much faster than expected, and had them in time for a big gig I just performed at in Poland.

So what do I think of them.  Firstly, the build quality of the earpiece itself is stellar.  No bubbles, and an absolutely perfect and comfortable fit.  I think the cable feels cheap, and will be replacing it with an aftermarket solution (that doesn't bother me too much).  One of my favourite things it the tough Otterbox they ship it in.  When I'm on the road I want my in-ears to be protected; this baby does the job!

And the sound? Well, firstly, I have to say that, while I'm not disappointed, I expected to be more blown away when listening to music on my iPod.  Yes, everything people say about the bass is true; it's the best of any in-ear I've ever heard, but still I'm not floored in this regard.

But I'll tell you where these babies shine: on stage.  I sing in a group called The Ten Tenors. This past week we performed in Poland in front of 50,000 screaming fans.  With both ears in... virtual silence.  I actually had to take my ears out to hear the crowd or the live orchestra behind me.  And the separation between channels is phenomenal.  In the past I've spent much of our shows back and forward with the monitor engineers, trying to get my mix right (I would also only use one ear, as I could hear myself too loudly in my own head).  With these, it's 'Set it and Forget it'.  I set me levels at soundcheck, and didn't touch them after that.  And I was amazed that I didn't get the 'Boy in a Bubble' effect; my own voice came through in the mix, and wasn't overpowered by the sound in my head.

In summing up, I do use these to listen to music, and they're great on a plane, but for me their standout quality is what they can do on-stage.  If I weren't a performer, I'd happily settle for a good pair of over the ear headphones, but these are the best CIEMs I've ever used for live performance, and they've made me a better performer (and a less stressed one) in the process!

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #3,017 of 3,787
I was a little underwhelmed with my JH-16 straight out of my iphone, it was probably 50% better than my TF10.  The Fiio E11 was a step up, but it wasn't til I got my Arrow, that I had that wow factor.  
Quote:
Hi guys,
So I received my JH16s a week ago, and thought I'd write a review of the whole process, and what I think of the CIEMs.

Firstly, the staff @ JH Audio are incredibly helpful. I received my in-ears much faster than expected, and had them in time for a big gig I just performed at in Poland.

So what do I think of them.  Firstly, the build quality of the earpiece itself is stellar.  No bubbles, and an absolutely perfect and comfortable fit.  I think the cable feels cheap, and will be replacing it with an aftermarket solution (that doesn't bother me too much).  One of my favourite things it the tough Otterbox they ship it in.  When I'm on the road I want my in-ears to be protected; this baby does the job!

And the sound? Well, firstly, I have to say that, while I'm not disappointed, I expected to be more blown away when listening to music on my iPod.  Yes, everything people say about the bass is true; it's the best of any in-ear I've ever heard, but still I'm not floored in this regard.

But I'll tell you where these babies shine: on stage.  I sing in a group called The Ten Tenors. This past week we performed in Poland in front of 50,000 screaming fans.  With both ears in... virtual silence.  I actually had to take my ears out to hear the crowd or the live orchestra behind me.  And the separation between channels is phenomenal.  In the past I've spent much of our shows back and forward with the monitor engineers, trying to get my mix right (I would also only use one ear, as I could hear myself too loudly in my own head).  With these, it's 'Set it and Forget it'.  I set me levels at soundcheck, and didn't touch them after that.  And I was amazed that I didn't get the 'Boy in a Bubble' effect; my own voice came through in the mix, and wasn't overpowered by the sound in my head.

In summing up, I do use these to listen to music, and they're great on a plane, but for me their standout quality is what they can do on-stage.  If I weren't a performer, I'd happily settle for a good pair of over the ear headphones, but these are the best CIEMs I've ever used for live performance, and they've made me a better performer (and a less stressed one) in the process!

Jun 11, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #3,019 of 3,787
Does anyone know how the 16s are for gaming with/without Dolby headphone? I know the sound stage is probably the weakest aspect of them but I was just curious. What full size headphone can you compare the sound stage too???

Jun 19, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #3,021 of 3,787
Quote:
Does anyone have experience with chris_himself cables and if yes how good are they?

They are good soundwise. Build quality isn't the greatest. You cant tangle your cable around any device you wish to. They are really rigid.

Jun 19, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #3,023 of 3,787
Jun 19, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #3,024 of 3,787
Really enjoying my JH16's with a "Scorpion" OCC copper cable from Toxic Cables. It's quite a beauty!

I really hate to sound like a salesman, but they're currently rolling with discounted pre-order prices
redface.gif

Jun 19, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #3,026 of 3,787
While audible differences can be quite tricky to pinpoint since A/B'ing will still be infuenced by placebo (even if I had my eyes closed and my girlfriend changing cables for me, I'd still know which one I was using due to the much improved ergonomics over the stock cable). But to my ears the sound opens up a bit (I've always found my JH16 quite enclosed/cooped up.)

The sound reminds me of that of the JH16 + $400 Beat Audio Thor cable (I believe that was copper as well) which is quite a surprise considering the obvious price difference between the two. 

I'll do my best to get some serious listening done tonight and tomorrow and post my impressions then. 

Jun 23, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #3,029 of 3,787
Quote:
Staal,

Have you ever written your opinion on the differences between Heir 8.a vs the JH16 before?

I know you sold the 8.a so I'd like to know why you chose to keep the JH16 instead.

Cheers,

look and search around head-fi. loads of info everywhere. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/588111/review-heir-audio-8-a-8-driver-4-way-crossover-custom-fit-in-ear-monitors

Anws, imho, do take it with a pinch of salt as as mentioned a few pages back, he compared it with a demo jh16s. so it isn't all that fair. worth a read tho.

As for Staal, he mentioned his reasons why, I can roughly remember, but i'll leave it to you to read through the pas 10 pages or so to find out.

I'm still waiting after a month for my 16s to come, maybe then i can get a better listen from the demo sets of both JH and Heir Audio's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back