JH Audio JH16 Pro First Impressions
Jun 7, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #3,001 of 3,787
Quote:
OK I've been looking all over the forums for 2 days and can't find an answer to 1 question.
How is the bass of the 16s compared to other hi end IEMs and headphones?
Do they have the more bass of any IEM? Better than tf10, IE8, etc ect
Do they have better bass then headphones like the D7000/5000, ultasone 900s, Beyer dynamic DT 770 pro 80, ect.?
PLEASE, if anyone can help me out and answer some of my questions I would be extremely appreciative. I want to know these things before spending over $1000 on a pair of IEMs.
Mike.

Have you seen this excellent review of the JH16s by average_joe?  Check it out.  Scroll down to the "Sound" section where he not only discusses bass reproduction by the JH16s in detail, but he also compares it to many other IEMs. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/569689/jerry-harvey-audio-jh16-review-8-drivers-of-fun

Jun 7, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #3,002 of 3,787
My JH16 from the RX3 have no problems at all in recreating a feeling that something is virtually tapping a beat on my brain stem. In some ways you almost expect to feel the thud in your chest from the bass, like you would from a high end car stereo setup. Yes I went through that phase many years ago....

Jun 7, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #3,003 of 3,787
How's the build quality of the JH products? In photo's they look to have a few bubbles and sub par build quality in general compared to companies like Heir audio and UM.

Are you guys satisfied with the JH16's build quality overall?

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #3,005 of 3,787
@tupac...thanks

@keener...thanks

@colinharden...nice explanation, thank you.

@myared...thanks for the link.

PS...it it possible to get the jh16s under $1000? I know eBay is one thing but any way else like coupon codes? $1150 is hard to swallow.

Also, what is the resell value in case I don't like them? Is there a 30 day return policy or anything?

Jun 8, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #3,007 of 3,787
There is bubbles. But they do really impressive ear mould scanning. My JH16 are the smallest within my IEMs. and the fitting is the best. they don't miss any detail on your ear impressions.

@lebron. There is several website that you can order but I don't think the price will be under $1000 if you don't buy a second hand one and remold them. The new customized one will always be in that price range.

Jun 8, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #3,008 of 3,787
Quote:
@tupac...thanks
@keener...thanks
@colinharden...nice explanation, thank you.
PS...it it possible to get the jh16s under $1000? I know eBay is one thing but any way else like coupon codes? $1150 is hard to swallow.
Also, what is the resell value in case I don't like them? Is there a 30 day return policy or anything?

Doubt there is a return policy considering how customized these are. As was said in the previous post that is pretty much the going price. Resell value is not too high, around $600-700 due to costs incurred by the person who buys it having to pay for it to get reshelled themselves.

Jun 8, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #3,009 of 3,787
I wouldn't mind getting a JH16 second hand and remolding at UM because they have better build quality, but I was wondering, would the sound be exactly the same as the original when remolding? How would UM know what to do with the internals to make it sound the same as when JH made it originally?

^Not sure if that makes sense... 

Jun 8, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #3,010 of 3,787
I think the sound will definitely change when you remold IEMs unless the company know the exact tuning for the sound signature and the exact angle and distance of drivers to your eardrums. But good company should be able to keep 90% of the original sound.

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #3,012 of 3,787
Quote:

You bet.

As for the price, JH Audio had a sale on their IEMs (I think it was a 10% discount) around Christmas last year.  I don't know if you can wait till then, or if they will have a similar sale this year too...  Someone on this forum with a better knowledge of JH Audio's business practice history might be able to tell us if they typically have a sale toward the end of each year or not.

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #3,013 of 3,787
pdiddypdler, I'm not sure a bubble is going to throw off the sound of the entire custom.  You're best, and safest, bet is definitely going to be getting the customs you want from their respective manufacturer.  Although UM's quality might be better, they are not going to know how JH voices their customs. Remolding is also a tricky project to undertake.  If one of those drivers are marred in the process UM cannot supply another one as they are proprietary technology from JH audio, they do not sell individual drivers only full customs.  If, for instance, the person previous to you had small ears then the remolding will be very difficult for even UM.  I'm not saying that their quality is worse (I would agree with you that it is very good), just seems like a wasted effort to rid a custom of one potential bubble.  JH has built their reputation on quality products and I'm sure you will not be disappointed.  

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #3,014 of 3,787
Quote:
How's the build quality of the JH products? In photo's they look to have a few bubbles and sub par build quality in general compared to companies like Heir audio and UM.

My JH16s are all black so I obviously wouldn't be able to visually detect any internal defects in the shell, bubbles or other.  All I can say is that on the outside, they have a high quality look and feel, and I sure don't see any evidence of sub par manufacturing.  Granted, I have never owned or seen a UM or any other IEM (other than in pictures) to have a reference for comparison... 

Jun 9, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #3,015 of 3,787
Quote:

I have several custom in-ear monitors around, and I much prefer the build quality of my JH16's.. They're just so tiny. Most people will just start talking to me not realizing I'm listening to music unless they see my ears. That's not the case with the rest of the bunch as they "stick out" quite a bit making them much more visible from all angles. (obviously excluding the canal-sized HF-2). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back