Jecklin Float Model 1 arrived today!
Apr 22, 2004 at 5:13 AM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by pspivak
Those are some BIG phones. Are these the electrostatic ones?

Jecklin Float Model 1 & 2 aren't electrostatic, however there exists an electrostatic model. All three models are available to order it via that australian shop as well as their successors, Ergo headphones.
tongue.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 11:10 AM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnett
So I’m hesitant to give the Jecklin Float Model 1my recommendation here.[/IMG]

Not me. I have the Model 2's, and while they too can be described as dark, the sound is completely natural. The mids are where these phones shine, but they also have a completely natural, spacious sound, and while they look, er, strange, they are comfortable for long periods.

If you can find a used or NOS pair for less than $100, they're a steal.

Apr 22, 2004 at 3:26 PM Post #19 of 41
Wow, this brings a new meaning to Beauty in Eye of Beholder. Actually, it should be Beauty is not really in the eye of the beholder. Well at least it sounds decent
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 4:57 PM Post #21 of 41
Thanks for reviving that picture from the "Which looks worse: the headphones or the shirt?" poll. It cracks me up every time I look at that picture, so I might just use it as the wallpaper on my monitor for a while. That, and order a pair for myself because they really are cool (in a way that only head-fi'ers can understand).

Apr 22, 2004 at 5:19 PM Post #22 of 41
The 2's open up the center / mid-upper midrange and seemed to even out the response curve inside that midrange; sometime the 1's seemed to do something, umm, "different" to that transition area. The 2's very top end response changed only slightly, gaining a bit.

IIRC in the CI thread someone quoted a magazine review which claimed Jecklin's as "open", and I plead the Fifth. As you can see I've retracted that
biggrin.gif
but you can see my...concern...about that statement.

How do they work on your system? They were very source dependent when I used them, kinda picky. I guess that is the source of the many different viewpoints on these.

Apr 30, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #25 of 41
Well, I’ve fallen in love with these phones. I’m on term break from school right now and have spent a lot of time with the Floats. Either the treble has improved a bit or I've simply gotten used to the rolled-off nature of these cans. I still think they’re quite recessed in the treble compared to most audiophile headphones I’ve heard over the years. But these phones are not fatiguing in the least – no doubt due to their extremely laid-back treble.

My NAD C320BEE integrated amp with its 220-ohm headphone output has proven to be a poor match with the JF Model 1. The NAD made an already thick-sounding phone sound even thicker. Also, the bass out of the NAD C320BEE was a bit uncontrolled and undefined with the Model 1. Keep in mind that I actually like my NAD integrated amp with the audiophile cans I’ve used.

Regardless, I believe that a headphone amp with a low output impedance is essential with the Jecklin Floats. Hence, I jumped on that $300 Corda HA-1 Mk II deal TTVJ had. The Corda opens up the Model 1 quite nicely. Treble detail has improved slightly and bass is nicely controlled. I also really like crossfeed with the Model 1.

I have noticed, however, that the Model 1 isn’t that great in reproducing loud transients. On loud piano flourishes, for example, the Model 1 can get rather ‘hissy’ and sound unrefined. My Model 1 isn’t completely burnt-in yet and I hope this improves in the next few days. Also, my ears can become a little hot after about an hour or so of listening. Still, they’re really comfortable to wear and are not loose on my head at all.

All in all, I can handle their faults and recommend these phones for those looking for a comfortable and laid-back headphone with a very unique appearance.

blinkJF.gif

Apr 30, 2004 at 8:51 PM Post #26 of 41
For many years I used the electrostatic version of these phones - I always considered them much better voiced than any of the Stax electrostatics (a proper roster of bass fundamentals and without the upper mid glare and treble splash of the commensurate Stax models).
Unfortunately reliability was terrible especially with the power supply unit which would need new transformers every couple of years; I gave up on them because of this.
I replaced them with the Ergo air motion transformer phones which I preferred to the AKG swivel things (AKG 1000?) but sold the whole lot a couple of years ago (had to sadly downgrade to ETY4s due to noisy new domestic environment).
No doubt I'll be tempted again if a new exotic comes my way....blimey the amount of money I've burned on phones over the years...perhaps I should get out more.

Apr 30, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Thanks for reviving that picture from the "Which looks worse: the headphones or the shirt?" poll. It cracks me up every time I look at that picture, so I might just use it as the wallpaper on my monitor for a while. That, and order a pair for myself because they really are cool (in a way that only head-fi'ers can understand).

Hehe i was the one who started the "Which looks worse: the headphones or the shirt?" poll
biggrin.gif
I m happy to see the thread going on again...and people actually buying this ultra-geeky phone!Actually who won at the poll?the cans or the shirt?

Apr 30, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnett
I believe the cans won by a few votes.
tongue.gif

and rightfully so
tongue.gif
icon10.gif
but the shirt is
eek.gif
eek.gif
too! that was a tough poll.

Apr 30, 2004 at 10:06 PM Post #30 of 41
arnett, it's nice to hear that you are enjoying the sound of these cans! Nevermind the looks, the music is what counts! Too bad we don't have a "floats" smiley...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back