JDSLabs C421 Preorder is live...
Jul 9, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #483 of 692
Well, I.rolled opamps in a cmoy, the burr brown opa2134, and it was slow and mellow with tubby bass, then I had the LME 49720 and that was fast, lively with details a lot easier to pick out.
Burr brown was not for me. The mids are smooth and warm, tubby bass with fairly good highs. I prefer lively, a little bright, fast and detailed.

Jul 9, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #484 of 692
Quote:
Well, I.rolled opamps in a cmoy, the burr brown opa2134, and it was slow and mellow with tubby bass, then I had the LME 49720 and that was fast, lively with details a lot easier to pick out.
Burr brown was not for me. The mids are smooth and warm, tubby bass with fairly good highs. I prefer lively, a little bright, fast and detailed.

Oh, then you're earning your name as being the random kid!  You're comparing totally different opamps in a different amp and using those to make judgements about the sound of the two C421 options.  Somehow, I don't think it works that way.  Just because you found the OPA2134 to sound a certain way doesn't mean the OPA2227 will sound similar; likewise with the LME 49720 and the 8620.

Jul 9, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #485 of 692
Quote:

Oh, then you're earning your name as being the random kid!  You're comparing totally different opamps in a different amp and using those to make judgements about the sound of the two C421 options.  Somehow, I don't think it works that way.  Just because you found the OPA2134 to sound a certain way doesn't mean the OPA2227 will sound similar; likewise with the LME 49720 and the 8620.

no mean to offend, look here, the AD8620 is know to be fast and detailed, and a little bright just like the LME49720, and i have had both as you know.

also the OPA2134 is very similar to the 2227:
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/opamps.html

Read please

Jul 9, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #486 of 692
Quote:
no mean to offend, look here, the AD8620 is know to be fast and detailed, and a little bright just like the LME49720, and i have had both as you know.

also the OPA2134 is very similar to the 2227:
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/opamps.html

Read please

No offense taken, and none intended in my reply, but I still think it's an unfair judgement. 

For example:  the link you provided (which I have seen before but thank you) concludes about the 2227: "This is a good alternative to the OPA132. It is arguably even a significant upgrade."  Furthermore, different amps with the same opamp can sound quite different, based on implementation of the amp.  Some have remarked that CmoyBB-2227 compared to C421-2227 is quite different, with the latter sounding better.  I believe I read someone that had rolled an 8610 or 8620 into a CmoyBB also and favoured the 8620 in the C421 better than in the Cmoy, but I might be remembering this part wrong.

Jul 9, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #487 of 692
That is true. All cool now. But the general consensus us that burr brow have a laid back smooth sound, whereas AD have a more detailed agressive sound

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #488 of 692
How tight is the headphone jack on your C421?  Mine allows some wiggling of the headphone cable and the sound cuts in and out and makes some popping, static noise when the cord is moved.  JDS Labs was super cool about it and I sent it back.  They will take care of me so I'm not worried, but I wondered if it was just me.  They were very nice about it.

Jul 10, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #489 of 692
No problems on mine and I haven't heard much regarding this. So maybe it's an isolated thing!?

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #490 of 692
Quote:
How tight is the headphone jack on your C421?  Mine allows some wiggling of the headphone cable and the sound cuts in and out and makes some popping, static noise when the cord is moved.  JDS Labs was super cool about it and I sent it back.  They will take care of me so I'm not worried, but I wondered if it was just me.  They were very nice about it.

Mine's snug as a bug.  Fortunately as you're experiencing, John is great to deal with.  I hope you get it back quickly.

Quote:
That is true. All cool now. But the general consensus us that burr brow have a laid back smooth sound, whereas AD have a more detailed agressive sound

Cool.  I'd really like to hear the 8620 version now!  Maybe someone will have one at the upcoming Vancouver meetup that I can listen to.  It's funny, I wouldn't describe the sound from my setup as laid back and smooth at all, so I'm really curious what a more aggressive version would sound like!  (My HD25's contribute to this though, since they are already rather forward and aggressive in PRaT).

Jul 10, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #492 of 692
Quote:
No problems on mine and I haven't heard much regarding this. So maybe it's an isolated thing!?

Yes, it's an isolated part defect. I hoped everyone who encountered this had already had their amps replaced...

c421 uses Switchcraft audio jacks. When we ran the last production batch, we noticed that appearance of the jack terminals was gold instead of silver. I confirmed the part numbers and tested a few pieces; all seemed great, until we tested the amps after production. About 5 amps shipped out, then we realized that all 500 jacks from this batch were defective (weak connection). Switchcraft admitted to a serious revision error and offered to replace every jack. Unfortunately, that's not very helpful when you have 500 parts soldered to circuit boards!

We've manually de-soldered and replaced every 3.5mm jack of this batch. It's a tedious process, but the problem is fixed.

Jul 10, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #493 of 692
Like I said, top notch customer service and I was not worried at all.  I also plan on buying a second C421 (the 2227 so I can compare it to the 8620).  Have no fear buying the C421 from JDS Labs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back