JDS Labs cMoyBB V.2.03 vs. Epiphany Acoustics EHP-02
Mar 21, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #32 of 44

Quote:
I'm pretty sure JSeaber knows the size since he does build and sell them :wink:.

Yeh i know that and the picture was for everyone!
i quoted for when he said it is hard to get the batteries out on which i was agreeing with him!

Mar 22, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #33 of 44

Quote:
The O2's batteries aren't easily replaceable, not to mention they get something like 8 hours run time. At $6 USD/pack, you'd pay $0.75/hour of listening! And you'd need to carry around a screwdriver to change them. Finally, the enclosure holes aren't threaded and will therefore strip if screws are repeatedly removed.

I think you'll agree that an AC adapter is mandatory. O2 is not a portable amp. ClieOS posted a great picture in another thread showing just how large O2 really is.

Dimensions aside, my EHP-02's casework seems to have been built using metal left over from gun emplacements on the Normandy coast. All of my other portables - iBasso, Just Audio, Leckerton - have been built from much lighter and  thinner metal. Even the Fiio E9 has lighter casework - its only the internals that make it a heavier amp overall. Personally, I see this as a 100% home/office amp - only the truly eccentric would try to use it as a portable device. Battery power does come in handy when moving it around, but generally I just leave it connected to the adapter - not the best for battery life, but the occasional 8-hour discharge cycle should even that out. 

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #34 of 44

Quote:
Dimensions aside, my EHP-02's casework seems to have been built using metal left over from gun emplacements on the Normandy coast. All of my other portables - iBasso, Just Audio, Leckerton - have been built from much lighter and  thinner metal. Even the Fiio E9 has lighter casework - its only the internals that make it a heavier amp overall. Personally, I see this as a 100% home/office amp - only the truly eccentric would try to use it as a portable device. Battery power does come in handy when moving it around, but generally I just leave it connected to the adapter - not the best for battery life, but the occasional 8-hour discharge cycle should even that out. 

It should be the same case JDS used (which is the default choice recommended by NwAVgGuys). No light, unfortunately.

Mar 25, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #35 of 44

Quote:

I agree it is ridiculously heavy and it makes it even more difficult to use as a portable amp. I would also have to say that it must be 99% home/office amp. Not that i have an office as a 16 year old boy. :L

Quote:

It should be the same case JDS used (which is the default choice recommended by NwAVgGuys). No light, unfortunately.

The epiphany acoustics case looks identical with a different faceplate! i Thinks that the only difference (maybe the buttons and knobs used as well). No light? Huh? Mine as a led light or was that meant to say not light?

Mar 25, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #36 of 44
The epiphany acoustics case looks identical with a different faceplate! i Thinks that the only difference (maybe the buttons and knobs used as well). No light? Huh? Mine as a led light or was that meant to say not light?

The case used on O2 is the standard B2-080 case from Box Enclosure, which is what O2 is designed to fit in. The front panel is custom made by each company. You can order your own custom front plate from Front Panel Express.

Sorry, meant to say 'not light', as in weight.

Mar 26, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #37 of 44
OK, I said it was solidly built - that isnt the same as 'ridiculously heavy', but you dont have to spend long with one of the other portable amps to realise that the O2 has been constructed with serious longevity in mind - it just wont win any beauty contests. 

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #38 of 44
OK, I said it was solidly built - that isnt the same as 'ridiculously heavy', but you dont have to spend long with one of the other portable amps to realise that the O2 has been constructed with serious longevity in mind - it just wont win any beauty contests. 

Ok maybe I exaggerated a bit but when compared to other items that are sold as portable then it does feel rather heavy but obviously it's not as heavy as some larger desktop amplifiers.

I don't it's bad looking and I don't know what you want an amp to look like but I'd say it's just fine and your right about longevity, I don't see where any problems could come as far as the casinging confirmed!

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #40 of 44
Any sound difference with the cmoy vs the o2? Currently have a cmoy but looking to get o2 for my d5000's

The O2 is a lot nicer sounding than the cmoy!
I have posted my sound quality comparison from my original post below.

Mar 26, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #41 of 44

Quote:
JDS Labs cMoyBB v.2.03 compared to the Epiphany Acoustics EHP-O2

Sound Quality

To do this i will be doing the main listening through my sennheiser HD580s as that was the purpose of the amplifiers. The music will be in flac on my iMac.

Bass

cMoy

The cmoy has two bass settings with either the bass boost on and off. So starting (HD580s) without the bass boost the cmoy has already got for most people enough bass. Not bass head amounts but slightly more than the headphones unamped and the outcome is not bad. It is fairly tight and controlled which leaves it giving you an ok impact but not the sort of impact that you really feel. It lack decay and it sort of comes and go's. It adds maybe the teeniest of bit of extension to the headphones which is already quite good so that is nice but nothing special. All that being said its ok and i might being harsh to it as it does not help that i am a/bing it with the superior O2. For its price it does do a good job for sure. 

Now time to turn the bass boost on! You are flooded by a sea of loose flabby bass that leaks straight into the midrange. It loses all sense of detail and sort of just booms anything with a low frequency out the earphones. You also lose extension and it does not reach down to pick up up bass but sort of just amplify whats their. Personally i think its horrible and never use the feature even on my earphones that lack a bit of bass. If your bass head and just want pure quantity off bass and are not bothered about quality then your gonna love this. I reckon this could turn a £10 pair of earphones into something with slightly better and definitely more bass than any image seeking bass trumps all beats by dre fan could ever get out of any of the beats line.

Note: When i had my Fischer Audio DBA-02s on the way i had read that they could do with a tad more bass and i already had this and i thought they were going to be a match made in heaven but i was completely wrong and the amp seemed to just muddle up the DBA's and everything sounded awful. I have read that some balanced armature earphones respond bad to amping so maybe this was the case but then again i absolutely love the pairing of the Shure SE420s with the cmoy. All IMO of course.

O2

Now i like the bass on the HD580s a lot and now well i just love it. It adds bass quantity to the headphones, more than cmoy but nowhere near the ridiculous amount foo the bass boost, and it just seems to work. The extension is great offering additional details that the HD580s can not offer with the cmoy and amp less. I would also say that the bass is more forward on the O2 than on the cmoy, by just a tad, which offered an overall warmer sound signature to the headphones. But to sum for bass this works!

Comparison

Quantity
cMoy Normal
7/10

cMoy Bass Boost
12/10

O2
8.5/10

Quality
cMoy Normal
7.5/10

cMoy Bass Boost
4/10

O2
9/10

Midrange

This took some think as although both amps perform different in the mids i could not put my finger on how to explain the difference but here goes.

cMoy

The mids are well.... Smooth but oh so thin and are really lacking texture. They flow really quite nicely and have a breezy crisp feel in them. But they just feel like their lacking something like your not quite getting the full picture that you get with O2. The mids are also slightly recessed giving off a slightly U-Shaped sound signature. The vocals are very airy but seem to be hiding and are the opposite of some in you face forward mid headphones. I guess they sound whispered.

O2

Okay so the reason that the cmoy could feel so thin maybe that these mids have a rounded fullness to them. Their is a balanced feel to them which is supported by the way the background percussion sort of synchronises with the main instrument and vocals. Its an effect i am defiantly feeling and i may have put it across wrong but thats how my ears are taking it. Its attention to detail is also good and i am not really differentiating that much to the cmoy. Now moving on to vocals and this can represent male voices so liquidly smooth and lush its quite surreal. Listening now to Foo Fighters Dave Grohl singing the acoustic version of overlong is what i can only imagine a (male) angel sounds like and it does not stop their. Moving on to Slipknots Vermillion pt.2 and Corey Taylors voice has a husk to it that just sounds phenomenal. Female voice is not as notable as awesome but the amp still does a good job.

Comparison

cMoy
8/10

O2
9.5/10

Treble
This is probably the biggest difference between the two amps and really creates different sound signatures between them.

cMoy

The cmoys treble is packed with a sparkle that completes the cmoy with a bright sound signature. They have an effect that is really quite present and it is very glistening. Synth effects have a real ping to them and pianos have a glow to them. The presence of it i would even compare to my DBA's! The detail is also good, But far from the standard of my DBA's, but the lack of detail gives a bit of a fun feel.

O2

So same sparkly treble that the cmoy gave? Quite simply no. The highs are really quite laid back and although they extend as far as the cmoy they could not sound anymore different. That being said they are more detailed and accurate. Depending on what you like or even what mood your in could effect preference here. You want some casual listening to some chilled out song although the O2 is overall better i might just get the cmoy out for it fun sparkly treble.

Comparison

cMoy
8.5/10

O2
8/10

Soundstage

Not gonna right to much here and the HD580s have an amazing soundstage to start with but the O2 gives it a more three dimensional feel and expansion and causes the cmoy to feel canned in after. 

Here @matt head 777

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #44 of 44
Hey swimmy!

I'm getting this amp as it seems its the ultimately best bang for buck. Would you recommend to get the bundled O2D? Or to get another DAC for cheaper, like the HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC. Or get them separate? This would add one cable but would support later installments better if I decide to get something else to replace either one (doubt that this would happen anytime soon). Yes, I understand this is a matter of preference and personal taste/situation but if you'd have some further insight into this I would appreciate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back