JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Aug 22, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #1,306 of 3,417
I got the amp in the mail today. It looks like a much better form factor for the Fiio X3 I have than the Fiio E12. Unfortunately I'm at work now so I can't do anything with it now but after work I'll be able to. 

I'll probably sell the E12 or buy something that has a better form factor like a itouch or something.

Aug 22, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #1,307 of 3,417
C5 cannot be damaged by a drained battery. Common things to check:

• Is source volume set as usual?
  • Is amplifier gain and volume set to your usual positions?
  • Have you changed sources or headphones?

We'll be glad to inspect if you'd like to send it in, but there's most likely a simple explanation.
It might not be the case, but are you charging it via usb since it recently died? Computer whining can travel through the usb ground. This can sound like a high pitched whine or whistling sometimes. This isn't a problem with the c5. Unplug the usb cable. See if it stops...

Aug 22, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #1,308 of 3,417

• Is source volume set as usual?
  • Is amplifier gain and volume set to your usual positions?
  • Have you changed sources or headphones?

We'll be glad to inspect if you'd like to send it in, but there's most likely a simple explanation.

Hmm..that's strange, because I don't recall changing the volume of the source from its usual, nor the volume on the amp, and I haven't exactly change headphones / source.

Nevertheless, after a few more hours of usage, the issue had seem to have subsided, so hopefully it should be fine now:)

Very much appreciate your help! Thanks you.

Aug 22, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #1,309 of 3,417
Hmm..that's strange, because I don't recall changing the volume of the source from its usual, nor the volume on the amp, and I haven't exactly change headphones / source.

Nevertheless, after a few more hours of usage, the issue had seem to have subsided, so hopefully it should be fine now:)

Very much appreciate your help! Thanks you.
Usb?

Aug 22, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #1,310 of 3,417
It might not be the case, but are you charging it via usb since it recently died? Computer whining can travel through the usb ground. This can sound like a high pitched whine or whistling sometimes. This isn't a problem with the c5. Unplug the usb cable. See if it stops...

I'm actually charging my C5 via the USB cable plugged into an Apple charger. That way, it charges faster for me.

What you told me was interesting, and I'll definitely keep that in mind! :)

Thanks!

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #1,311 of 3,417
Anyone listening to classical/small jazz groups/female jazz singers with this amp?? And how does it sound in these genres??

Aug 23, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #1,312 of 3,417
Quote:
Anyone listening to classical/small jazz groups/female jazz singers with this amp?? And how does it sound in these genres??

Female jazz sounds good, I do enjoy this amp with a more neutral can! 

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #1,313 of 3,417
Quote:

But of course.  All of the above.  Excellent with both my er4s and pfe112 with eq.  Sounds excellent without eq on both, but I use eq on any headphones/earphones to make them closer to perfection.  The c5 really allows them to be neutral though with clean clear frequency response.  Meaning, all the frequencies are easy to hear due to the flat response and adding eq doesn't cause the amp to struggle or anything.  It's more than capable and reference quality for most gear.

Aug 23, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #1,314 of 3,417
I listen to classical with bass boost ON!  I feel like it's natural because if you've ever been to an orchestra, you will realize that yes, there is a lot of bass.  But then when you listen through headphones the bass isn't there and so I believe that bass is just naturally attenuated from our equipment and 'natural' isn't natural at all, it's bass-less and it bugs me.  Classical sounds alot more enjoyable and realistic with bass on, it feels as if I'm right in front of the concert. 

With that being said, hey JDS labs!  Your C5 amp is my favourite, but I was wondering if you guys are considering creating an amp of the same quality (or better) as the C5, but with a 9 or 12db bass boost option...  No I'm not crazy, and I already have the Z02 and don't like its poor quality.

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #1,315 of 3,417
Quote:
I listen to classical with bass boost ON!  I feel like it's natural because if you've ever been to an orchestra, you will realize that yes, there is a lot of bass.  But then when you listen through headphones the bass isn't there and so I believe that bass is just naturally attenuated from our equipment and 'natural' isn't natural at all, it's bass-less and it bugs me.  Classical sounds alot more enjoyable and realistic with bass on, it feels as if I'm right in front of the concert. 

With that being said, hey JDS labs!  Your C5 amp is my favourite, but I was wondering if you guys are considering creating an amp of the same quality (or better) as the C5, but with a 9 or 12db bass boost option...  No I'm not crazy, and I already have the Z02 and don't like its poor quality.

It would be a great replacement for something like a z02, but just admit it... you're a basshead!  :wink: haha  it's o.k.  we still love you.  moohahaha :wink: :wink:

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #1,316 of 3,417
Quote:

More bass boost? I think most users would complain. Customizing bass boost is possible (swap two resistors).

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #1,317 of 3,417
Quote:

More bass boost? I think most users would complain. Customizing bass boost is possible (swap two resistors).

Judging by his profile headphone listing, he likes bass. :)  Nothing wrong with that. :wink:  I like me some bass too. haha.  But I also like perfectly flat response.  I don't think I'd ever use more than 6d personally and that's with the er4s! :)  Hehe.  But to each his own.  Listen to what you like the sound of.

Have you tried a good eq app?  I can give you some tips on getting the most out of your bass eq if it helps.  In fact john posted a frequency response of the bass boost.  You can eq the same exact curve and get 12db that way.  Just make sure to lower the eq gain to avoid clipping.

Aug 23, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #1,318 of 3,417
Quote:

cool is that possible?  Would it affect the rest of the spectrum?  I can do the soldering myself if you show me which ones :D

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #1,319 of 3,417
Quote:
cool is that possible?  Would it affect the rest of the spectrum?  I can do the soldering myself if you show me which ones :D

R601 and R602 define bass boost intensity, and do not affect higher frequencies. You'll find them above the large, silver capacitors, near the main opamp.

Start with 10k and go higher until you find your favorite value. We've done a couple custom builds with reduced bass boost at 4.99k. Experimentation is always helpful.

Aug 24, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #1,320 of 3,417
Quote:

1. Is source volume set as usual?
  2. Is amplifier gain and volume set to your usual positions?
  3. Have you changed sources or headphones?

Hey guys, very sorry about my incident yesterday regarding the C5's "hiss".

I found out today what the error was, and why it was doing it. It was utterly my fault, and I am deeply sorry for raising awareness over a false claim. It turned out my source was not maxed volume, but was set to rather low, hence I needed to pretty much max the C5 to produce sound.

It has been solved, and the greatness of the dead silence from the C5 has been restored. 
biggrin.gif

Thanks for your help and thoughtfulness, guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back