JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Jul 28, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #2,656 of 3,417
wow!  my C5 now seems completely open, after 3 weeks of usage, my headphones thanked.

Now looking for one O2 + K702 for home room.

Aug 2, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #2,660 of 3,417
The Alo wallet should fit. Not sure anyone has it with the C5 to confirm though.

Aug 2, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #2,661 of 3,417
The Alo wallet should fit. Not sure anyone has it with the C5 to confirm though.

Thanks. I also have a few more questions.

Has anybody compared the JDS C5 against ALO The National?

I'm thinking about ordering the The AlgoRhythm Solo along with the C5, would they pair well? My iPod Classic 7th Generation and Beyerdynamics DT770 250 OHM will be used with them.

Aug 2, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #2,662 of 3,417
I find the DAC of the 7G to be good enough and sounds great with the C5. I'm guessing adding the algorithm solo would add maybe 5% sq gain.

Aug 6, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #2,664 of 3,417
Hey, could any of you (JDS Labs included) recommend a good solution for a powered USB hub. I have no problems connecting my iPhone 4S to the C5D, its just that it really seems to drain the phone fast. I’m thinking that a powered USB hub could power both units. So far, absolutely loving the C5D. Seems to be a great match with the HD650. Sounds very clear, open and powerful when it needs to be. Even without the bass boost, the low end is clear and taught. 

Edit: oh, and no, it is not in 'charge' mode. It is switched to battery.

Aug 9, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #2,665 of 3,417
Speaking of the battery though [@=/u/143198/jseaber]@jseaber[/@] will the C5D function properly if I remove the battery and use the C5D only as a USB DAC/amp?

He just mentioned a few posts ago that there is a smart charging circuit that only charges the battery when necessary, so you can use this as a desktop USB Dac/Amp for your more sensitive IEM's or headphones.

Part of why I picked the C5D is because I wanted something I could use on a desk, or on the go :) This little device does it all, sounds great, and looks classy.

Right, that's when charging the battery. If I remove the battery as a whole though, will it the C5D still function properly as a USB DAC/amp? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but I just wanted to double-check.

Mmk. I removed the battery, plugged in the C5D to my computer and all is good. It looks like you can remove the battery from the C5D and still use it as a USB DAC.

The reason why I asked was because it was brought to my attention that some folks in the hifi community prefer their devices to be battery powered since it reduces noise due to a noisy USB port and things of the sort. I had forgotten that the C5D could be just powered through a USB bus though since it has the USB power/charging or Self Power switch. Anywho, before I realised this, I wanted to see if the C5D has background noise when being powered without a battery, and I'm happy to report that this thing is dead silent.

In my C5D review here on Head-Fi, I mentioned that the device gets a bit warm after using it for a while. I have the C5D out of the enclosure at the moment since I took out the battery and it looks like the SA9027 (USB audio streaming controller) and DAC chips get warm, which are directly beneath the battery.

Also, if you're interested in the custom firmware I wrote, you can download it here:
https://github.com/miceblue425/C5D_Firmware

It took me more time than necessary to figure out how to upload that using Github. XD

Aug 12, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #2,666 of 3,417
Hey guys, can someone tell me if the C5D would be right for me? 

I would be using them for my laptop and for my Galaxy S4. Primarily with VSonic GR07 bass edition and B&W P5, but also with HE-400 so I want it to be able to power that decently. I have an EF2A for my desktop and a FiiO E10, so I'm looking for something that'll be a big upgrade over the E10 but also able to be used with a smart phone. Would the C5D fit my needs? The other one I'm considering is FiiO E18, though from what I can gather, the C5D is a better device? Would anything else be a better option for me? I'm fine spending up to $300

Also, this is a noob question, but I'd use the 3.5mm connection to the amp alone when I'm using it for my phone, right? 

Thanks!

Aug 13, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #2,668 of 3,417

I would be using them for my laptop and for my Galaxy S4. Primarily with VSonic GR07 bass edition and B&W P5, but also with HE-400 so I want it to be able to power that decently. I have an EF2A for my desktop and a FiiO E10, so I'm looking for something that'll be a big upgrade over the E10 but also able to be used with a smart phone. Would the C5D fit my needs? The other one I'm considering is FiiO E18, though from what I can gather, the C5D is a better device? Would anything else be a better option for me? I'm fine spending up to $300

Also, this is a noob question, but I'd use the 3.5mm connection to the amp alone when I'm using it for my phone, right? 

Thanks!

I have the c5 and it cannot power the he400 unfortunately.  With bass boost on, all you get is clipping.  I currently don't have a portable setup for my he400s, I only use a desktop amp and its much better.  The c5s are still the best amp for iems.

Aug 13, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #2,669 of 3,417
Hmm might just have to settle for using it with my Vsonic and bowers (and maybe that Rockit Sounds R50 I've been thinking of buying). 

Though I actually think the HE400 doesn't sound too bad playing straight out of my phone (definitely sounds better than straight from my laptop). 

Also I have been using them with a FiiO E10 from my laptop. It doesn't really bring out too much clarity or detail (though definitely an imporvement over the onboard soundcard) but it does make them much louder and thus more listenable. I was hoping a new portable amp/dac would give a big boost in sound quality over the E10. 

Aug 14, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #2,670 of 3,417

Thanks!

If you're planning to use the C5D as a DAC to replace your E10, you should know that it doesn't have a line out feature so you can't use it with your EF2A, unless you're just willing to fudge it and use the headphone out, but I wouldn't recommend it.

As a DAC/amp for a phone, or if you just want to use it as your all in one DAC/amp with yout laptop, the C5D is amazing. I'd highly recommend it for that purpose. It doesn't have a lot of driving power but the HE-400 is a relatively efficient planar anywyay so I didn't have any issues using them with the C5D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back