JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Apr 24, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #886 of 3,417
Yes, if you have an ISP programmer and 6-pin header.

The firmware changes mentioned above do not affect performance. In production testing, we found that 2% of C5's could not boot properly due to [exceptionally] above average capacitor values on the supply rails. Longer boot delay enables proper booting for every C5 we've tested to date.

Summary: Firmware upgrade is not necessary if you already own a C5. Every unit is tested.

Thanks for that info!

Relieved to hear the upgrade is not necessary. Doubt I'd have the technical know-how to do it anyway.

Apr 25, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #887 of 3,417
Finally getting around to posting a few thoughts on the wonderful C5.

Used with my Rockbox'd iPod Classic 160GB through the FiiO L3 LOD cable, with Phiaton PS210 earbuds and AKG K550s, it is noticeably better than either through the headphone jack. A bit of a "Duh..." moment, but that's where I started. Just going from memory, I'd say the sound was "cleaner." I always felt the iPod had trouble driving both, even they're 32 Ohms. I found the definition, esp. the lower frequencies, to be superb.  Bass Boost was way too much for me, but I'm not a basshead.  I prefer a flatter, more neutral sound. I can always EQ it up with Rockbox, if something sounds a bit thin.

Results are the same when using my laptop (Toshiba Qosmio Win7 Home Prem. with a Realtek HD ALC269, latest drivers). I used Winamp's DirectSound output, with playback in Windows set for 24-bit 96 KHz. I tested with the 24-bit 96 KHz version of "Clockwork Angels" by Rush. I mainly used the hard-driving, bombastic (I mean that in the best possible way!) "Headlong Flight" (excellent bass work), and the much more nuanced "The Garden" (strings, acoustic guitar parts; beautiful song). After listening once through, I picked a couple passages in each, then went back and forth between K550s directly into the headphone jack, and through the C5. The direct connection, while nicely defined, proved a tad harsh, and ultimately fatiguing. The C5 warmed up the sound nicely, adding noticeable oomph to the low end, and smoothing out the mids and highs, while not sacrificing definition. All that equals a far less fatiguing experience. Well, it wasn't fatiguing at all! Just a joy to listen to. I'd also say that the sound stage of the K550s benefited a lot from the C5's presentation. Whether or not that's due to the warmer, more relaxed sound, or just my imagination, I love what I hear. All this done with a cheap 3.5mm interconnect cable (at least it's gold tipped!). May have to invest in a better cable, as this is how I will listen to my 24-bit 96/192 KHz FLACs.

Now for the real revelation. In a previous post I asked about using the C5 with a car stereo. I'm happy to report that the C5 does wonders vs. going straight from the iPod's headphone jack or LOD cable. Road conditions, windows opened or closed, traffic, engine noise, etc., all factor into the overall sound. I have two cars with radically different sound systems and delivery methods. My "better" setup uses an old Pioneer DEH-P6400 with a CD-RB10 IP-Bus-RCA Interconnector for the AUX IN. My other car lacks an AUX IN, so I use an old iRiver FM transmitter that plugs into the 12-volt jack. Needless to say, that's a less-than-optimal delivery method, and it always showed when connecting to the iPod's headphone jack. Both systems definitely sound better with the C5 in the chain, but the sound through the FM transmitter is dramatically better. Gone is that harshness that I endured. Everything is so much smoother.

So, all in all, I couldn't be happier with my first amp. The anodized red is gorgeous and cleans off easily when it appears scratched. The FiiO L3 LOD cable makes it easy to access the volume control. And, LOL, I just realized I forgot about the push button gain control. Not sure what I've been using, but I'm also sure I never purposefully pressed it. Apparently it was on the higher setting. And apparently I prefer it that way 
biggrin.gif
 But perhaps I'll play with that more now.

As far as marrying C5 to iPod, I opted to use what I had lying around, with a grateful nod to the poster who suggested using blue painters tape as a base. Ultimately, I might switch to the fancy 3M interlocking stuff. Also, I like the clear sticky feet on the top of the C5. They don't look awful, and they certainly are non-skid. Lastly, I put the "soft" side of the Velcro on the bottom of the C5, for  those times it will be resting on a table, sans iPod.

Here are some pix.

Apr 26, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #888 of 3,417
Thanks for your input, nice rigs!

Glad you love the C5, mine hasn't been used recently as my CIEM's are back for a refit.

Apr 27, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #890 of 3,417
Using the C5 with Brainwavz M5 really isn't necessary, I'll wait till my CIEM's are back then post more pictures (customs are getting a new look)

Apr 27, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #891 of 3,417
Quote:
Using the C5 with Brainwavz M5 really isn't necessary, I'll wait till my CIEM's are back then post more pictures (customs are getting a new look)

So do you have tiny stickers on your Brainwavz that read: "My other buds are Heir CIEMs" ?  
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #892 of 3,417
Alclair actually :wink:
No I dont :frowning2: I should make a sign and walk around with it (depressed because I have to use M5 instead of my lovely CIEM's)

Apr 27, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #893 of 3,417
Quote:
Alclair actually :wink:
No I dont :frowning2: I should make a sign and walk around with it (depressed because I have to use M5 instead of my lovely CIEM's)

I stand corrected 
wink.gif
 They look nice. Which model do you have? Pardon my inquisitiveness, but "Custom" means fitted for your ears, yes? If so, how does that work? If not, what does "Custom" signify?

To keep it on-topic, are the M5s just too low-end to benefit from the C5? My Phiaton PS210s are pretty low-mid range, but they definitely benefit, at least from my Rockbox'd iPod Classic.

Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Apr 27, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #894 of 3,417
Alclair reference monitor, custom fit to my ear is correct. You get ear impressions made by an audiologist, send them to the company and they make acrylic shelled in-ears, some make them from silicone too

M5 really doesn't gain anything from being amped IMO, I really am not a big fan of the M5.

Apr 27, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #895 of 3,417
Quote:
Alclair reference monitor, custom fit to my ear is correct. You get ear impressions made by an audiologist, send them to the company and they make acrylic shelled in-ears, some make them from silicone too

M5 really doesn't gain anything from being amped IMO, I really am not a big fan of the M5.

Thanks for the explanation. Hope you get your CIEMs back soon so you can get back to your C5 
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 29, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #897 of 3,417
Just an update, the thermistor works with the S3 battery.Not going to post a how to as I could not find the same connectors and not going to disassemble the C5 again as I have manage to get both my mod of the UD-100 DAC and the S3 battery working all in the same case and happy with it.Below are some photos that for your ogling pleasure.
Warning disclaimer to those intending to do my mods, do it at your own risk!

Apr 29, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #898 of 3,417
Anyone know of a protective outer case or sleeve for the C5?

(I started a separate thread with this question, but got to thinking
it may belong in this well-trafficked thread.)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated; I'm concerned
about taking my C5 outside lest it meet Mr.Asphalt - always
a possibility regardless of the amount of care one uses...

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #899 of 3,417
I sprayed mine with clear gloss acrylic bought from Walmart to make the red have more pop and also provides some protection against minor scratches.  I've already had some scratches and the gloss coat did come off but the anodized red coating was not affected.  I'll probably reapply the gloss coat in the future if it gets more scratches.

Quote:

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #900 of 3,417
Quote:

Will this do? Dimension for the case 100x65x15mm (LxWxD) while the C5 dimension is 99.5x61.5x14mm(LxWxD)

size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back