JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Feb 28, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #2,281 of 3,417
  Make sure you switch the power switch on when it's plugged into the computer otherwise it just charges. The power switch has to be on for it to be recognized as a DAC

I had to reboot my computer before it recognized the C5D. The volume started out pretty loud, so I quickly turned it down.  I do not think there is any damage to the headphones.  By the way, the C5D has a different frequency response, I think there is a slight rolloff in the high frequency range. This may be my imagination at this point. But the sound is still very good 

However, when I disconnect it from the PC and plug it into my iPod Touch, I have to turn the volume up to the maximum for my DT880 250-ohm headset. Is this normal?

Bob Graham

Feb 28, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #2,282 of 3,417
  Hello all!

I now have a C5D and an iPod Touch with the CCK for Lightening cable all in my possession.  This setup works very well. I will report if there is any sound quality difference between the O2 + ODAC combo and the C5D on batteries.

Bob Graham

Hi Bob,

Since the DAC establishes a connection with your iPod Touch, and not the PC, check the following:

1. Is Windows still searching for drivers? The first connection on a Windows PC can be slow. Click "Skip" if possible to end the driver search. It's going to pick default UAC1 drivers anyway.
  2. Have you tried another USB port?
  3. Have you tried a different computer and USB cable?

Basically, this sounds like a minor mechanical or software annoyance.

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #2,283 of 3,417
Originally Posted by r010159 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

However, when I disconnect it from the PC and plug it into my iPod Touch, I have to turn the volume up to the maximum for my DT880 250-ohm headset. Is this normal?

Volume can be set at the PC, the iPod Touch, and C5D. You must have substantially different volumes at your PC and iPod, so turn the iPod's volume up.

Feb 28, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #2,284 of 3,417

Volume can be set at the PC, the iPod Touch, and C5D. You must have substantially different volumes at your PC and iPod, so turn the iPod's volume up.

Really!  I tell you, sometimes I do not think for myself. I am so used to having the volume on the PC dialed in, I forget such a thing is there.

By the way, once I rebooted my Mac, it did recognize the C5D.

Now, what headphone is a good pairing with this amp? I am thinking of the ATH-M50s. For the price, this looks like it would be a good purchase. What do all of you think?

Bob Graham

PS: As usual, you are on top of things.

Feb 28, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #2,286 of 3,417
I use my C5D with my iPod Classic 7G, it sounds great. It was my go to rig before the X3 replaced the iPod (still using line-out). I will refurb my iPod at some point as the batttery and both back and front plates need replacing.

Feb 28, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #2,288 of 3,417
Hello all!

I now have a C5D and an iPod Touch with the CCK for Lightening cable all in my possession.  This setup works very well. I will report if there is any sound quality difference between the O2 + ODAC combo and the C5D on batteries.

Bob Graham

I can compare the C5D to the ODAC and the O2 in my review. In short though, the ODAC/O2 combo seems more transparent to me, but the C5D is a much better choice for portable use and bringing it around.

Also, the V-MODA M-100 pairs well with it, as does the AKG K 701.

Feb 28, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #2,289 of 3,417
I can compare the C5D to the ODAC and the O2 in my review. In short though, the ODAC/O2 combo seems more transparent to me, but the C5D is a much better choice for portable use and bringing it around.

Interesting. I have a question. How long is a full charge suppose to last with the C5D? Ids there anyway to extend its lifetime on a charge? I would have to plug in a battery to its USB port, which means I will only be able to use the audio input instead of the USB input to the DAC.

Bob Graham

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #2,290 of 3,417
  I'm curious if anyone is using the C5D with the moto X and had any thoughts about the sound. Also, if anyone is using the C5D with an ipod classic as an amp I'd also be interested to hear what you think.

i've used with my moto x but only for about couple hours with flacs only, haven't even tried mp3's.  16/44.  i guess to give you a comparison or an idea, i also have a note3.  it sounds real good through note3 but i lose some "space" through c5d when just using headphone amp.  by that i mean surround or dimensions.  don't know if my descriptions are accurate.  but the note3 is very flat, solid frequency response all the way across, pretty good stereo separation, very good solid bass and controlled.  the moto x was very surprising when i first fired it up with my 16ohm beyer cop's.  about the same signature as my note3, but better stereo sepration, pretty flat but slight rolloff on low end and bass is a little loose but still very good.  through the c5d amp it is very solid.  it helps solidify the bass and hardly any space is lost, unlike the note3, and still very good stereo separation.  through the dac, they both sound the same.  not really big enough difference for my untrained ears to notice, but otoh, perhaps there should be little difference?

like i said i've only given about a couple hours listen total on my x, but if i had to pick which signature i prefer, i actually prefer the x.  the x was surprisingly good straight up and very very good with the c5d just used through headphone amp.  emphasis on surprisingly good.  wasn't expecting it.  even though there is slight roll off on bass, it is still very flat and a solid fun sound.  really like it with my 250ohm beyer DT770's also.  alas, i bought the x because it might've been the only chance to own a wood grained phone and i kept seeing comments on how solid the phone is overall without looking for comments.  also, the x is very limited on storage space.  about 26 usable gigs and no microsd slot, thus i bought the phone for it's usability, smaller size and better low light camera and it is serving that purpose very well.  my note3 is fixing to get upgraded to Sandisk's 128gb micro sd when i see it's the real deal.  i really like my note3 sound also.  when i want to jam out and have fun, i just use my cop's.  when i want to be critical or really dig into sound i use my dt770's.  but the moto x is no slouch.  unless you're an absolute bass addict, i think most people will enjoy how great it sounds.  it pairs with the c5d very well also, better than my note3.  if the moto x had a micro sd slot, it would probably be my go to portable source.  don't know if that answered your question, but i hope it helped.  btw, i don't know what the output impedance is, but it is similar to note3.  the volume is about same when i hook directly with headphones.  plenty of volume with 16 ohm phones and could probably handle up to about 80ohms sufficiently if i had to guess even though i have nothing to compare to as my impedance jumps straight to 250ohm phones.

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #2,291 of 3,417

Interesting. I have a question. How long is a full charge suppose to last with the C5D? Ids there anyway to extend its lifetime on a charge? I would have to plug in a battery to its USB port, which means I will only be able to use the audio input instead of the USB input to the DAC.

Bob Graham

i haven't really timed it, but i guess about 8ish hours.  i know i haven't gotten anywhere close to higher 11ish it was rated.  and the 8ish was a mix of dac and straight headphone amp listening.  it can vary greatly depending on what you listen to and how.  and yes, you can use an external battery.  nothing wrong with just using amp portion.  i actually prefer it sometimes.  depends what i am liistening to.

Mar 1, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #2,292 of 3,417

Bob Graham

I actually haven't done a timed test for the battery life yet, but I can do that today. From average use as a portable amp with my iPod 5G, I get around 8-10 hours roughly.

On that note, I'll use battery life tests similar to what I did with the C5. I'll do the amp section today, and the DAC/amp tomorrow.

Um...well then, a real-world test for the battery life. It literally just died for me on the bus right now and I've been timing the battery life with my iPhone.

Testing specs:
iPhone 4S (playing Ottmar Liebert's "Up Close" album at 256 kbps V0 LAME MP3) -> FiiO L3 -> C5 (high gain, volume step 4, no bass boost) -> V-MODA Crossfade M-100

This wasn't a straight-on 11-hour listening session, but I turned on/off the iPhone's timer whenever I turned on/off the C5. It's not quite the 14-hour claimed battery life with this test, but still ample for my purposes. I did this test over a course of 2 days with plenty of opportunities to charge the C5 if I wanted to.

The flashing green LED indicating 20 minutes of remaining battery life was pretty accurate though because the bus arrived at my stop at around 20:48 and the LED was flashing at the end of the last listening session (the battery later died at 21:05).

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #2,293 of 3,417
I actually haven't done a timed test for the battery life yet, but I can do that today. From average use as a portable amp with my iPod 5G, I get around 8-10 hours roughly.

On that note, I'll use battery life tests similar to what I did with the C5. I'll do the amp section today, and the DAC/amp tomorrow.

I am getting well under 10 hours. I will time it myself for an accurate result. Then I can compare the results. How do you know if the C5D is fully charged? The blue light goes out. But should I continue charging longer? The volume level probably also matters.

Bob Graham

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #2,295 of 3,417

How do you know if the C5D is fully charged? The blue light goes out. But should I continue charging longer? The volume level probably also matters.

C5D charges until the battery is full, during which time the blue LED is on. Charging automatically stops when the battery reaches 100% and the blue LED goes out. It's impossible to charge longer.

http://www.jdslabs.com/pdf/Instructions_C5D.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back