JDS Labs C5/C5D (pg96) portable amp/amp+DAC
Feb 22, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #2,236 of 3,417
I've been using Apple iPod Classic 160G → JDS Labs C5 → V-MODA M-100 and I think this combo sounds great!  If you add the CLAS into the mix, I'm pretty sure it will elevate to awesome.

Hi! Yah im thinking of that adding the CLAS.. But just looking for inputs how the CLAS and C5 will work hand in hand..

I know it will not be a balance set up (which is really the usual thing they do with the CLAS) thats why i want to know how will they sound..

Hope someone have tried this..

Feb 22, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #2,237 of 3,417
I have Android version 4.1.2 on the Note 2. Will the c5d work with it?

I can give you my word but my note2 when i had the uk version 4.1.2 was working perfect.
No promise though

Feb 23, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #2,240 of 3,417
Don't think it will work as a DAC out of a classic w the 30 pin. Think you can only use the line out (fiio makes a few cables). Then you plug that into the C5D line in.

Thanks for the response, it's a shame the c5d can't be used as a dac with the ipod classic. I still might grab the c5d as opposed to the c5 because some reviewers like the sound of c5d amp better than the c5. I could also still use the c5d's dac when coming out of my phone or laptop. I guess when it's plugged into the ipod classic I'll still be hearing that internal wolfson dac, but it's not so bad.

Feb 23, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #2,241 of 3,417
Thanks for the response, it's a shame the c5d can't be used as a dac with the ipod classic. I still might grab the c5d as opposed to the c5 because some reviewers like the sound of c5d amp better than the c5. I could also still use the c5d's dac when coming out of my phone or laptop. I guess when it's plugged into the ipod classic I'll still be hearing that internal wolfson dac, but it's not so bad.

Yah.. Just asked JDS about this too and their response is this..

"Only iOS7 supports standard digital audio output. iPod Classic does not support iOS7. More information can be found in this article: http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=838"

I Hope and suggested them to make a DAC that can bybass the ipod too like the solo does to match the C5 but havent get any response anymore..

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #2,243 of 3,417
The CLAS and similar "Apple certified" DACs are all very expensive, more than twice the price of the C5D. I personally don't foresee JDS Labs going into that area.

Yah we all know it but JDS labs make high quality equipnent and still put a fair price on it. Just saying maybe if they try to make one then it will be really good for their customers..

Just thinking the C5D is already amp/dac and the price with that quality, its a must have! Just my opinion though.. ^__^

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #2,244 of 3,417
The CLAS and similar "Apple certified" DACs are all very expensive, more than twice the price of the C5D. I personally don't foresee JDS Labs going into that area.

They tried, with a lot of legal papers to fill and very little headway to make no less. So it has been put aside for more rewarding work.

Now you know why companies that do get the MFi certification want to charge you so much. It is not much of a high demand creating a high price, but Apple's setting of a high bar to cross so there will be a short in supply that will create a high price.

Feb 23, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #2,245 of 3,417

They tried, with a lot of legal papers to fill and very little headway to make no less. So it has been put aside for more rewarding work.

Now you know why companies that do get the MFi certification want to charge you so much. It is not much of a high demand creating a high price, but Apple's setting of a high bar to cross so there will be a short in supply that will create a high price.

Gross. Makes me wanna ditch the ipod classic and get something non-apple just to make a statement.

Feb 24, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #2,246 of 3,417
Gross. Makes me wanna ditch the ipod classic and get something non-apple just to make a statement.

If you can manage to install rockbox to your iPod classic, it will be a rewarding upgrade. Like breathing new life to your iPod. Then you can just use C5D as an amp. You just need the courage, patience and luck to do it. It's aslo free.

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #2,247 of 3,417

Waaaaht? I didn't know that. That's interesting to read though.

Feb 24, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #2,248 of 3,417
I have purchased the C5D. It will arrive by Thursday. What I need now is a portable source that works well with the C5D. I prefer to be using the DAC USB input. Would an iPod work with this amp/DAC? How would this work out wrt SQ? Will I need an iPod Touch for the digital signal to the DAC? I do have an iPod Nano that I may use until I can actually afford to purchase something better. This would mean bypassing the DAC part. But I still am willing to consider other options, particularly to make use of the DAC.

Thanks!

Bob Graham

PS: I managed to get my iPad 4 to work with my O2/ODAC combo. But this setup is not practical for me.

Feb 24, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #2,249 of 3,417
I have purchased the C5D. It will arrive by Thursday. What I need now is a portable source that works well with the C5D. I prefer to be using the DAC USB input. Would an iPod work with this amp/DAC? How would this work out wrt SQ? Will I need an iPod Touch for the digital signal to the DAC? I do have an iPod Nano that I may use until I can actually afford to purchase something better. This would mean bypassing the DAC part. But I still am willing to consider other options, particularly to make use of the DAC.

Thanks!

Bob Graham

PS: I managed to get my iPad 4 to work with my O2/ODAC combo. But this setup is not practical for me.

Depends on the version of the iPod Touch.  If you've got one with the Lightning connector...you just have to get the USB Camera Connection kit and then you can use it as a USB Dac.  I've got a Touch 5th Gen, an iPad Mini Retina and a iPad Air (for work) and all three work with the CCK and the C5D via USB.

Feb 24, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #2,250 of 3,417
Depends on the version of the iPod Touch.  If you've got one with the Lightning connector...you just have to get the USB Camera Connection kit and then you can use it as a USB Dac.  I've got a Touch 5th Gen, an iPad Mini Retina and a iPad Air (for work) and all three work with the CCK and the C5D via USB.

Are there any choices other than the latest iPod Touch? Maybe something made by another vendor? Still, I do have the CCK for the Lightening connector.

Bob Graham

Users who are viewing this thread

Back